Author Topic: Fresh clams and pizza  (Read 2845 times)

Offline JimmyG

Fresh clams and pizza
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:20:52 PM »
I was wanting to make a clam pie this weekend. I was wondering if any of the members have any tips about what size of fresh clams work best either for NY oven or Neapolitan wood fire styles, as I have access to both this weekend. Any prep or topping combo suggestions are certainly welcome.  
Thanks,
Jim
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Fresh clams and pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »
Jimmy, Craig has re-created a wonderful NP clam pie, which I have done several times now.  I also changed it up for my own taste as well, but it basically goes like this.

-drizzle pizza skin with EVOO & heavy cream
-a sprinkle of crush red pepper
-fresh clams with a healthy drizzle of the natural clam juice
-bake, then a sprinkle of chopped parsley. 

He's got pictures of these pies in his thread somewhere. 

What also work well....

-drizzle of butter or butter with chopped garlic
-drizzle of heavy cream & sprinkle crush red pepper
-clams and clam juice
-Generous sprinkle of parmigiano regianno.
-bake and then chopped parsley or basil.

I have also added thinly sliced garlic as a topping along with the clams.  I usually use whole clams but the small ones.  The big ones probably won't cook all the way through with a fast bake.   I haven't tried chopping the clams up, but that might give a more even clam flavor across the pie.  I have also tried adding a bit of mozz on the pie, but I don't think it needs it.   The parmesan or pecorino is good though.

Good luck and post some pics.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
Thanks, for the pointers Chau. I am liking the butter, chili flakes, and parsley combo you suggested. Surprisingly they all share the same odorant molecules as well http://www.foodpairing.be/ so you must have a very good palette. I helped a friend of mine construct a WFO last weekend and this weekend will be the sacrificial virgin offering "in a manner of speaking", so I am wanting a back-up plan in case the results go south. And yes, I have seen Craig's triumphs and am going to have to comb though Craig's posts unless he finds this post first. Any other members' suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks again
JG
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:54:50 PM by JimmyG »
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:50 PM »
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9337.msg80776.html#msg80776

Delicious clams with the added benefit of roughage and calcium.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:14:37 PM »
Wow... that looks incredible Bill. I like your workflow of steaming first till just opened and than topping.  Do you remember if those were littlenecks or topnecks? I guess I am trying to figure out the time so the clams do not turn to rubber bands. One of the main reason I have avoided clams till this point.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »
Jim.

Thank you. That was over 2 years ago and I have trouble remembering last week! IIRC, those were manila clams I picked up at the Costco Seafood Road Show. Not a wide selection of mollusks out here in the high desert - with the exception of certain "oysters" that will NEVER, NEVER NEVER go on one of my pizzas.  :D

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »
That was over 2 years ago and I have trouble remembering last week!
Bill,
That is completely understandable. I saw the date it was posted, but I figured I may as well ask none the less.

Not a wide selection of mollusks out here in the high desert - with the exception of certain "oysters" that will NEVER, NEVER NEVER go on one of my pizzas.
I can truly empathize. Growing up on Long Island and now living in the Midwest, I am find the same problem with my shellfish. It is hard to find a good supplier. The supplier I normally use charge $2.00 ea. oyster, muscles are $8.50 lb and $10.00 lb for clams. These mollusks are shipped fresh daily but the prices  are highway robbery.  At these prices I should give up higher education and go into fish mongering.  Nonetheless thank for the help :)
Jim

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »
Not only is the selection terrible, what we can get is really pricey as well.  Cherry stone clams are around $1 a piece.  Can't afford to put too many on a pie. 

I get the fresh frozen farm raised clams in the freezer section.  I think these are from China though.  Great fresh flavor and I think they are around $4 a bag IIRC.  Not as fresh as fresh clams but pretty close and a heck of a lot better than canned clams, which by the way are not even worth trying. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 11:11:09 PM »
Jimmy, here is the recipe Chau was talking about. This tastes spot-on to Franny's which is the best clam pie I've ever tasted. I'm personally not a fan of cheese on clam pies - soft, hard, or other.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17383.0.html

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »
Cherry stone clams are around $1 a piece

For cherry stones... are you kidding me???
I think these are from China though

After reading an article passed on to me by one of my students, I do not think I will be eating fish or shellfish from China in a long time. http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Feces+imported+food+from+less+developed+countries+rising+concern+scientists/4827169/story.html
I certainly agree though, fresh or fresh frozen is most likely the way to go.

Craig,
That clam pie you make always looks incredible; thanks for the link, it offered many excellent suggestions.  I am not a seafood and cheese fan either, another reason I have steered clear of the seafood pies. Am I correct in saying that you are not chopping your clams after shucking and are applying them whole?  I think that is what I am seeing in your pictures but not for certain.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:26:47 AM by JimmyG »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
..with the exception of certain "oysters" that will NEVER, NEVER NEVER go on one of my pizzas.  :D

Bill,

Were you referring to Rocky Mountain Oysters by any chance ;D?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:05:13 AM by Pete-zza »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:11:09 AM »
For cherry stones... are you kidding me??? After reading an article passed on to me by one of my students, I do not think I will be eating fish or shellfish from China in a long time. http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Feces+imported+food+from+less+developed+countries+rising+concern+scientists/4827169/story.html
I certainly agree though, fresh or fresh frozen is most likely the way to go.

Craig,
That clam pie you make always looks incredible; thanks for the link, it offered many excellent suggestions.  I am not a seafood and cheese fan either, another reason I have steered clear of the seafood pies. Am I correct in saying that you are not chopping your clams after shucking and are applying them whole?  I think that is what I am seeing in your pictures but not for certain.

Yes, I do my best to keep them in one piece when I shuck them and I don't chop them after. Those were pretty small clams in the pictures. Even with larger clams, they are perfectly cooked in a 70-80ish second NP bake.

CL

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
Bill,

Were you referring to Rocky Mountain Oysters by any chance ;D?

Peter

I have not tried them on pizza, but we don't waste them when we take a buck...

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
Yes, I do my best to keep them in one piece when I shuck them and I don't chop them after. Those were pretty small clams in the pictures. Even with larger clams, they are perfectly cooked in a 70-80ish second NP bake.
Craig,
That is what I was figuring but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help.

...with the exception of certain "oysters" that will NEVER, NEVER NEVER go on one of my pizzas.
Were you referring to Rocky Mountain Oysters by any chance Grin?
I was really hoping that wasn't what he was referring too.

I have not tried them on pizza, but we don't waste them when we take a buck...
That's kind of gross. I know I am going to regret asking but how do they taste?

Online dmcavanagh

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
I'm waiting for someone to say "nutty"! :-D

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
I'm waiting for someone to say "nutty"! Laugh
LMAO. Good one David!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:14:35 PM »
You guys all crack me up!  :-D  Thanks for the good laugh!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
Craig,
That is what I was figuring but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help.
I was really hoping that wasn't what he was referring too.
That's kind of gross. I know I am going to regret asking but how do they taste?

They are basically bland.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 02:12:14 PM »
Like anything else, chicken fried with cream gravy, they are pretty tasty.

CL

Online pizzaboyfan

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 02:40:45 PM »
I can't wait to see the next monthly challenge.

And yes...I can bacon on these....lots and lots of bacon...

pizzapan