Author Topic: Want a high protein flour?  (Read 1735 times)

piroshok

Want a high protein flour?
« on: September 06, 2005, 03:40:59 AM »
As some of you probaby know I have been running a little project and have been involved with flour millers in getting the right flour for my pet project.   
Discussing technical issues with them one told me that if anyone uses bakers percentage then if one adds
0.06% of gluten flour the protein level would rise by 1.0%
Of course protein does not guarantee the pizza in this instance will crisp up and very unlikely it will if the oven is not hot enough the chewiness will be there but the crunch part of the edges or cornicione will not remain (as known in Italian) for long .
A hot oven like woodfired oven is needed or something similar is needed.
Take for instance the home baker buys a lower protein around 11.5-12% (Good flour in Australia) will suffice for most pies under any oven circumstances though many labels are misleading sometimes the real protein levels may vary by -1.0%-1.5% it is not uncommon in fact very widespread
It is very useful in this istance to insist on technical papers if one has intentions of buying the product repeatedly.Though the mill may refuse to release such details to consumers as they may argue that it is stricktly wholesale business matter.

Good luck
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 09:03:57 AM by piroshok »

Offline rogerthat

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Want a high protein flour?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 04:05:56 AM »
how about egyptian Emer Flour .....which is seeded from the emer flour from the pots in the Pyramids....you can buy it on line

pizzapan