Author Topic: the progress of the regular Lehmann dough for market  (Read 48988 times)

Offline eiram21

Re: the progress of the regular Lehmann dough for market
« Reply #500 on: August 13, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips...I will plan on doing the blindfolded family taste test!  :chef:
Marie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #501 on: August 13, 2012, 06:46:40 PM »
Thanks for the tips...I will plan on doing the blindfolded family taste test!  :chef:

Marie,

That sounds like a great idea to do a blindfold test with your family to see what they like in tastes of cheeses.   ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #502 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
I upped the Briess syrup to 2% and lowered the hydrations by 2%.  The dough was still a little sticky and looked smooth in the mixer, but when I went to ball it the dough balls sure wasnít smooth.  The dough was mixed this morning.

Formulation below.

I also wanted to post that I am now making a little over 20 lbs. of dough in my Hobart mixer at market for each batch.  My Hobart doesnít seem to have any problems mixing a little over 20 lbs. of dough.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #503 on: August 13, 2012, 06:52:38 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
I donít know if anyone is really interested, but I thought I would take a few pictures every week of some of the stands at Rootís Market.  These first pictures are of the Honey stand and the one Pasta stand in my area at Rootís.  The pasta stand has so many different kinds of pastas (these are just a few of the pastas the pasta stand sells).  The pasta stand also has gluten-free pastas mixed with other ingredients.  The honey stand has different kinds of honey, honey combs, other honey related products, fresh peanut butter and many canned foods. 
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: August 15, 2012, 08:49:52 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #506 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
I decided this week I am going to try a sell my regular pizzas with a different topping, in addition of what I am now making.  Since I already make Greek style pizzas with veggies, I thought I would just used the same veggies and use garlic Alfredo sauce as the base, instead of tomato sauce.  I have no idea why, but when I made the different dressing pizza with the garlic Alfredo sauce the rims of the pizzas became bigger and they seemed to brown different on the rims.  The only problem of trying to offer a new dressing on my pizzas is I am not sure if I can keep up with trying to offer them and also how my space in my pizza holding cabinet will work out.  I am curious if anyone knows why when a different sauce is used why the rims would be different when using the same dough?  The pictures of the different dressings pizzas where taken one in mid morning and one in the late afternoon, so how the dough fermented I wouldnít think would make the difference.  Last pictures are of one pizza made after the different dressing pizza late in the afternoon.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #508 on: August 15, 2012, 08:54:42 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #509 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #510 on: August 15, 2012, 08:57:37 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #511 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #512 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:13 AM »
Norma,

Did you and/or your taste testers detect any differences or improvement when using the 2% Briess sweet white sorghum syrup?

With respect to your question about the differences in rim sizes when using the white Alfredo sauce and your regular red pizza sauce, the only way that I can think of that might answer that question would be for you to make two identical pizzas with equal weights of the sauces and compare the rim sizes. Since it is difficult do detect a pattern or draw a conclusion from only one experiment, you would perhaps have to repeat the experiment several times.

To the above, I would add that the weights of toppings, cheeses and sauces can affect the bake performance of the pizza, and that might also affect the rim size. If the amount of oven heat delivered to the pizzas at the rims is different, then that is likely to lead to different rim sizes.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: August 15, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »
Norma,

Did you and/or your taste testers detect any differences or improvement when using the 2% Briess sweet white sorghum syrup?

With respect to your question about the differences in rim sizes when using the white Alfredo sauce and your regular red pizza sauce, the only way that I can think of that might answer that question would be for you to make two identical pizzas with equal weights of the sauces and compare the rim sizes. Since it is difficult do detect a pattern or draw a conclusion from only one experiment, you would perhaps have to repeat the experiment several times.

To the above, I would add that the weights of toppings, cheeses and sauces can affect the bake performance of the pizza, and that might also affect the rim size. If the amount of oven heat delivered to the pizzas at the rims is different, then that is likely to lead to different rim sizes.

Peter

Peter,

I didnít post about the Briess sweet white sorghum experiment yet.  I am going to do that next.

As regards to the experiment with the Alfredo sauce, that sauce is a lot thinner and lighter than my regular sauce, and I didnít have to use as much as my regular pizza sauce.  The Alfredo sauce just seems to spread so much easier than regular red pizza sauce.  I did try one experiment to thin my pizza sauce yesterday, but that didnít make any difference in how the rim size was, or how it browned.  I didnít take any pictures of that experiment.  That thinning of the pizza sauce I guess wasnít a good test.  I had also noticed at Steveís home one time when he was making NY style pizzas in his home oven, the one he made with Aldredo sauce did have better browning and better oven spring too.  Steve is going to test what Alfredo sauce does when making a NY style pizza also.  I liked the better oven spring and better rim browning with the Alfredo sauce.  I guess I am too picky.  I thought the pizzas made with the Alfredo sauce looked better.

Thanks for your explanations.  :)

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #514 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:32 AM »
These are the results of using the Briess sweet sorghum syrup yesterday.  The Briess sorghum syrup was upped some and the hydration was lowered some for this week.  I used GM Full Strength flour in this experiment instead of Kyrol flour.  I really donít know what the effective hydration was from changing the formulation, but really I donít think it mattered that much. 

The dough felt about the same when I mixed it and also felt the same when I went to open the dough ball.  The Briess sorghum syrup must do something to the dough though.  With this experiment and the one I did last week, the dough ball, (when opening into a skin) just almost falls open in no time.  This one opened so easily that it got to a 20Ē skin before I knew it.  This skin didnít shrink at all when it was it was shaken on the peel.  I thought there might be a loading problem, (because part of the skin was off the wooden peel) but that wasnít the case.  It slid into the oven okay. 

This pizza baked a lot different than last week.  The rim crust didnít want to brown much and wasnĎt as moist.  The only reason I can think that would happen is that I changed flours, unless there was another reason I donít understand.  The rim crust did get decent oven spring, but not as much as last week.  Steve and I preferred the pizza from last week made with the Briess syrup.

Now I am at a point that I donít know what to change.  This dough ball sat at room temperature for about 1 hr. 45 minutes before it was made into a pizza

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #515 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #516 on: August 15, 2012, 10:24:12 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #517 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #518 on: August 17, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »
I know this post if off-topic, but it is dedicated to my mom that was 90 years old today.  My inspiration to always keep going has come from her and my dad.  I owe a lot to them.  Happy 90th Birthday mom!   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: August 22, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
I was going to do another Briess sweet sorghum attempt yesterday, but wasnít sure if I should change the formulation or just change the flour back to Kyrol and use 2% Briess syrup in the formulation.  I didnít do a Briess sweet sorghum attempt for yesterday since I wasnít sure what to try.  I also noticed Monday morning that I only had enough Kyrol flour at home to make one dough so I decided on a Mackís attempt with the Kyrol flour, instead of just trying another attempt with the Briess syrup. 

Sorry, for the way some of the pictures look below.  I didnít realize my camera settings had changed, until I took more pictures. 

The first picture below is of the first pizza that came out of the oven yesterday.  The other regular pies were a few that came out during the day, and surely not the best looking pies from the day.  The one pizza was baked a little too long as can be seen.  It sure doesnít take too long for a pie to become baked more than I want them to.  I only timed one bake yesterday and that bake time was 5 minutes 35 seconds.  I didnít have time to time more bakes.  My oven is running a little bit hotter in the last few weeks.  I have the thermostat at the same place, but since I had turned up my oven for the one experiment at really high temperatures, now my oven seems to run hotter, or appears that way. 

The cost of my mozzarellas have risen over .30 a lb. in the last two weeks.

The white pizzas slices that customers and stand holders have purchased so far (since last week( have received all favorable comments.

There was a couple that went by my stand when Steve was cutting a pie yesterday.  The lady said she had no intentions of purchasing any pizza yesterday, but since the pie looked so good she wanted to try a slice.  She later came back and said that the slices her and her husband had tried were the best pizza she had ever tasted.  She went on to explained that she is from Long Island, NY and has tried pizzas all over NYC.  She asked what kind of sauce and mozzarellas I used.  I told her what they were.  She said they were really good.  I then went on to tell the lady that if she wanted to see some really great looking pizzas to look at the forum.  I told her what my name was on the forum and also what Steveís (Ev) name was.  She then asked Steve if he was the Ev from the banjo forum.  Steve had posted some pictures of his pies on that forum.  Steve and the lady had know each other from the banjo forum and the lady had posted how great EvĎs pies looked on the banjo forum.  It is a small world sometimes.  The ladies husband went on to explain they live in Long Island, NY all the time, but do have a summer home in Lititz, Pa. and when he retires they are going to come and live in this area. We then went on to talk about how different living in NY is from living in this area.  They then purchased a whole pizza. 

It made me feel good that they thought my pizza was better than any pizza they have ever tasted in NYC.  Lol, and I am not even Italian and only am making a one day cold fermented Lehmann dough right now.  :-D  Thanks to everyone here on the forum for helping me with my pizzas!!  :)

Norma