Author Topic: the progress of the regular Lehmann dough for market  (Read 40417 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: the progress of the regular Lehmann dough for market
« Reply #540 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
Norma,

Maybe sometime you can try weighing all of the things that you put on two pizzas, one with the Alfredo sauce and toppings and one with your regular sauce and toppings. The dough ball weights and pizza sizes would be the same. I'd be interested in the weight differences and also any differences in bake times and temperatures.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #541 on: September 20, 2012, 03:57:17 PM »
Maybe because the Alfredo sauce doesn't have the water in it like a traditional tomato sauce Norma.  ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #542 on: September 20, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
Norma,

Maybe sometime you can try weighing all of the things that you put on two pizzas, one with the Alfredo sauce and toppings and one with your regular sauce and toppings. The dough ball weights and pizza sizes would be the same. I'd be interested in the weight differences and also any differences in bake times and temperatures.

Peter

Peter,

I will try to do that experiment this coming Tuesday.  I know the tomato sauce does weigh more than the garlic Aldredo sauce, just by using both of them.  I do apply about the same amount of mozzarellas, but a little less mozzarellas for the garlic Alfredo pizzas.  All my dough ball weights for market are the same.  I will weigh both pizzas after the bake and also see how long they both take to bake.  Each pizza I make with the extra toppings for the garlic Alfredo pizza never get weighed for the spinach, peppers, or grape tomatoes, but I can also weigh them if you want me to.  I donít even weigh the garlic Alfredo sauce, but those garlic Alfredo pizza always look better.   

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2012, 04:16:44 PM »
Maybe because the Alfredo sauce doesn't have the water in it like a traditional tomato sauce Norma.  ???

Bob,

The garlic Alfredo sauce doesn't have the water like traditional sauce, but if you look at some pictures of after my sauce is applied, it really isn't watery.  I have no idea if the water in the sauce changes something or not.   :-\

This has been bugging me, because every time I make a garlic Alfredo pizza they always look better in all ways.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #544 on: September 20, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Norma,

If you can, I would also like to see the weights of everything that goes onto the pizzas, individually. I think that information is more useful for this test than the baked weights, although the baked weights might also be instructive since they might indicate that one pizza is losing weight faster than the other.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #545 on: September 20, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
Norma,

If you can, I would also like to see the weights of everything that goes onto the pizzas, individually. I think that information is more useful for this test than the baked weights, although the baked weights might also be instructive since they might indicate that one pizza is losing weight faster than the other.

Peter

Peter,

I will try to do both this coming Tuesday. 

I didn't think I had any pictures of a regular baked pizzas on Tuesday, but I did take one.  This wasn't my best looking regular pizza Tuesday, but it sure doesn't look anything like the garlic Alfredo pizza to me.  The garlic Alfredo pie I made on Tuesday (and posted those pictures from) was made about 10:30 am.  I didn't take any other pictures of garlic Alfredo pies on Tuesday.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #546 on: September 20, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

This has been bugging me, because every time I make a garlic Alfredo pizza they always look better in all ways.

Norma
Does the Alfredo look better than the pies you make when you put the tomato sauce on top of the cheese?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #547 on: September 20, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »
Does the Alfredo look better than the pies you make when you put the tomato sauce on top of the cheese?

Bob,

I never really put the tomato sauce on top of the cheese, (if I recall right) on any regular Lehmann dough NY style pizzas.  I do on Sicilian pizzas, Greek style and the boardwalk pies.  I am wondering if I shouldnít apply my cheese and sauce something like the boardwalk thread.  I never tried that on my regular NY style pizzas before.  On the boardwalk thread I try to get the rim crust as flat as I can, so I canít compare those pies with my regular pies.  I did post that I was going to do an experiment to see if the crusts have a lot of oven spring on the boardwalk thread if I donít try to really press and flatten that dough.  That cheddar cheese is oilier too, so that might not be a good comparison and also is a different dough formulation. 

I havenít compared any garlic Alfredo Lehmann pies with trying to apply the cheese and sauce differently. 

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #548 on: September 20, 2012, 06:55:35 PM »
Gotcha... ;)
You do so many experiments it's hard to keep up with you most of the time girl.   :chef:
But I do follow what you are saying about the market pizza never having been tried with reverse cheese/sauce.
I just sit back and enjoy cause I pretty much like all the stuff you do, thanks.  8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: September 20, 2012, 07:19:19 PM »
Gotcha... ;)
You do so many experiments it's hard to keep up with you most of the time girl.   :chef:
But I do follow what you are saying about the market pizza never having been tried with reverse cheese/sauce.
I just sit back and enjoy cause I pretty much like all the stuff you do, thanks.  8)

Bob,

There is much to be learned with each experiment.  Sometimes it can confuse me more and sometimes the experiments do help me.  I believe they do confuse me more than help me most of the time.  Each variable can change something.  Sometimes I believe that pizza doughs are trying to outthink me and they do succeed.  :-D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #550 on: September 20, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »
Bob,

Sometimes I believe that pizza doughs are trying to outthink me and they do succeed.  :-D

Norma
Nah...that's jus the devilish side of the Pizza Brain try'in to play tricks on you. You can handle it Norma...you show that Pizza Brain who's boss!    :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #551 on: September 20, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
Nah...that's jus the devilish side of the Pizza Brain try'in to play tricks on you. You can handle it Norma...you show that Pizza Brain who's boss!    :chef:

Bob,

I don't think many members of this forum would agree that you are the boss always with any pizza dough.  There might be a few here. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #552 on: September 21, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
This pizza was made from a frozen dough ball from Tuesday.  My regular Lehmann dough sure bakes differently in Steveís WFO.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:09:51 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #553 on: September 21, 2012, 11:08:42 PM »
Magically, my regular NY style dough turned into a Neapolitan pizza.  :-D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #554 on: September 22, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
I sure like the looks of that Norma. Do you remember how long it cooked for and any idea what temp Steve's oven was up to when you cooked that? Thanks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #555 on: September 22, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
I sure like the looks of that Norma. Do you remember how long it cooked for and any idea what temp Steve's oven was up to when you cooked that? Thanks.

Bob,

Thanks!  The pizza was cooked in a little less than 3 minutes, if I recall correctly.  I think Steveís oven on the hearth was about 780 degrees F, give or take about 20 degrees.  The dome was a lot hotter though.  That pizza was domed after the bottom crust looked about finished.  Steve and I were surprised how different this pizza tasted.  It didnít have any crispness on the bottom crust and was soft, something like a Kesteís pizza.

Norma 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #556 on: September 22, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
Thank you ma'am. I could see that the bottom look pretty tender...that is a real nice looking fast pie. I
'm putting it on my list for upcoming LBE trials. Norma, does your regular Lehmann dough for market cook the same even when you are using a dough ball that you had frozen? And do you know how long your frozen dough stays good.
That is your starter dough, correct?  Thanks.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »

Norma, does your regular Lehmann dough for market cook the same even when you are using a dough ball that you had frozen? And do you know how long your frozen dough stays good.
That is your starter dough, correct?  Thanks.

Bob,

Any frozen dough balls I use at market do bake about the same.  Usually there is a little less rim crust coloration though.  I donít recall how long I have kept a frozen dough ball before trying to use it.  Usually, I use them the next week. I usually put the frozen dough balls in my pizza prep fridge the day before market to defrost, but I have used some at home that I didnít defrost that way.  I have a 2 freezers that donít defrost themselves though.  I donít know if that makes any difference. 

That wasnít a starter dough.  It had regular IDY as the yeast.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #558 on: September 26, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
These are the results of the garlic Alfredo pizza and a regular cheese pizza made almost back to back.  The garlic Alfredo pie did bake differently on the rim, and I think it had more oven spring.  The bottom crusts almost look alike to me.  I didnít have time to time the bakes, but these are the pictures and numbers I got.  I also couldnít cut slices to show the rim crumb, because both of these pizzas were for customers that were waiting for them.  The garlic Alfredo pizza was purchased from a baker stand holder at market and we talked some about how different things lose weight when they are baked.  She didnít mind Steve and me fooling around a little with her garlic Alfredo pizza and even laughed about what we were doing when I told her I was trying to figure how why a garlic Alfredo pizza seems to bake differently than a pizza that has tomato sauce and cheese.  

Both dough balls were scaled at 1.124 lbs.  

Garlic Alfredo pizza

Garlic and Alfredo sauce 166 grams
Spinach 37 grams
Peppers 43 grams
Grape tomatoes 124 grams
Cheese 143 grams

Weight of pizza right out of the oven weight 1.152 lbs., or 881 grams.  The scale kept falling as the pizza was setting on the scale for a little while.

Regular Cheese Pizza

Sauce 8.3 ounces
Cheese mozzarella blend 7 oz.

Weight of pizza right out of the oven was 1.130 lbs.  I didnít think to change to grams, because it was a regular customers waiting for the cheese pizza.  These pizzas were baked near dinnertime, or about 6:00 pm.

Sorry, I should have kept all these weights either in ounces, lbs. or grams, but didnít.

This is also how Steveís and my aprons look near the end of a market day.  We really arenít messy, but the flour sure gets on everything.  :P

Today I was in downtown Lancaster and was holding up a sign that said:  ďWill work for Better PizzasĒ.  :-D

Norma
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:40:26 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #559 on: September 26, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
Norma

pizzapan