Author Topic: the progress of the regular Lehmann dough for market  (Read 50679 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: the progress of the regular Lehmann dough for market
« Reply #640 on: February 01, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
Good to hear you dodged a big repair bullet(or worse) Norma.  :-\ Your refrigeration technician looks young enough to be paid with pizza's!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #641 on: February 01, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
Good to hear you dodged a big repair bullet(or worse) Norma.  :-\ Your refrigeration technician looks young enough to be paid with pizza's!  ;D

I am also glad the fridge could be fixed.  The refrigeration technician talked to someone at headquarters a few times after he tested different stuff.  I am not sure how much my bill will be yet (probably in the 200.00-to 300.00 dollar range), but the young technician told me I wouldnít be paying as much for him an hour than if they would had sent a more senior technician out to look at my fridge.  I didnít know they were different levels of refrigeration technicians and from the same business and then you paid more by the hour for them.  The young technician told me he just graduated last August from learning to be a refrigeration technician.  The technician told me he works out in the cold a lot.  Today when the technician was at market it felt like 12 degrees F outside with all the wind and coldness.  I sure wouldn't want to work outside in those conditions as they were today.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline adletson

« Reply #642 on: February 08, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
I can say as a guy who worked outside in those kinda conditions when I was as young or younger than him, being paid in in hot pizza would have been warmly welcomed!  :P

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #643 on: February 08, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
I can say as a guy who worked outside in those kinda conditions when I was as young or younger than him, being paid in in hot pizza would have been warmly welcomed!  :P

adletson,

That young technician told me that in addition to working in really cold temperatures he also works in really hot temperatures (up to 155 degrees F) in the summer sometimes on roofs of supermarkets on their refrigeration equipment.  I don't see how they can stand those kind of temperature changes and I did ask him how he could work in so many different temperatures and all he said was you just keep working.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: February 15, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
Well my friendly young refrigeration technician was at market again this morning to looked at my pizza prep fridge.  The other week (Friday) when the technician was there I thought my problems were fixed, but the following Tuesday when the food inspector came she said my pizza prep fridge was a little higher in temperature than it should be.  I thought what the heck is going on with that now and told the food inspector I just had the pizza prep fridge repaired a few days ago.  I then turned the dial down more and the temperature did go down.  Well this past Tuesday the temperature started going up again and my regular NY style dough balls almost fermented too much near the end of the day.  I knew I would need to call again for more repairs.  The refrigeration technician checked different things today and said maybe there was a small leak in the tubing somewhere and if there was maybe the refrigeration needed Freon or gas.  He checked and my number was only 10 when it should have been 20.  He said everything else appeared to be working well from the tests he did.  The technician said sometimes if there is a little leak somewhere it can take years for the problem to surface from Freon leaking out slowly and then temperature not staying steady after enough coolant leaked out, but there still is enough coolant for the fridge to start out at the right temperature when it is turned on.  After he put in more Freon or gas it is working and the temperature went back down to 33 degrees F on number 2 on the dial.  The technician had a special gauge he used to check if there were any leaks in the top and bottom of the fridge, but he couldnít find any evidence of any leaks.  I left the fridge on and am going back over to market this afternoon to check on it.  Hopefully the problems are fixed now.

Maybe I should have tried to be some kind of technician in my former life.  At least by the tests they gave me in high school they said I was mechanically inclined, but I sure didnít listen to those tests and ended up just being a pizza maker at my old age.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #645 on: February 22, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Hopefully my pizza prep fridge is fixed now.  Another higher up technician called me back this morning and said he got my message that the pizza prep fridge still wasnít working right.  I told him I couldnít figure out what was wrong because on Monday the temperature stayed at the right temperature and even Tuesday morning the temperature was good, until I started opening and shutting the doors more on the pizza prep fridge.  I told the technician that the temperature then went up from there and stayed above where it should be.  The refrigeration technician asked me if he should come out and look at it again.  I first asked how much I owed so far because I had called last week and they there wasnít a bill for the repairs yet.  I said I donít want to spend more money on repairs than it would cost to purchase a new pizza prep fridge.  He looked at my bill so far and said it was about 205.00.  I said that wasnít too bad.  The technician said his visit today would be included in that price unless there are more parts needed.  I said it would be okay to look at the pizza prep fridge again to see if it can be repaired.  I had looked at new pizza prep fridges recently and they sure arenít cheap. 

The higher up technician put more gauges on my fridge and I asked him lots of questions.  I asked him if maybe it could be that my thermostat is bad and he said it could be that.  He checked for gas leaks again and couldnít find any.  He then did some tests and said the thermostat wasnít cycling off and on as fast as it should.  The technician did replace the thermostat and said that should fix the problem. 

I asked the technician how long he had to go to school to learn to be a technician.  I was surprised at his answer.  He said he didnít go to school at all to be a refrigeration technician and just learned himself since he started working a place that made commercial dessert pies since the age of 14 in Lititz, Pa.  I got to talking to him about how frozen pies are made in a commercial environment and what he had to say was very interesting to me.  He talked about how everything went to being automated and how everything quickly went into blast freezers.  He said that when he started working there the pies were just baked there and then send elsewhere to be sold.  He told me that he had worked there for 25 years and so how automation took over and then they started making all the pies frozen instead of fresh.  I told him I was on a pizza making forum and knew something about how frozen pizzas are made, but didnít know a lot.  He said he did go to Tonyís frozen pizza facility and helped them different times.  http://www.tonys.com/home.htm  I asked him more questions about that.  I then mentioned Tom Lehmann and the technician said he did meet Tom at AIB when the technician Tom and others were working on making pizza cones.  I thought what he told me about pizza cones was very interesting.  We talked about commercial dough enhancers and how they work and he told me sometimes when he was working in places that made frozen stuff how much those fumes from the dough enhancers stuck to him.  He was familiar with Caravan Ingredients.  He said he canít believe that people want to purchase that frozen stuff.  He also talked about going to supermarkets to repair refrigeration things and how they all almost use frozen stuff to begin the bakes of many products.  The technician didnít even know there was a fresh pizza stand at market and he comes to market many times during the year.  He said he is going to visit my stand someday when it is opened and try my pizzas.  At least I had an enjoyable conversation while my pizza prep fridge was being fixed and also learned some new things.  I was doing stuff to clean up and other stuff while we talked.  It took him about 3 hrs. to fix my pizza prep fridge.  The back and insides were taken apart this time.  At least I think this refrigeration repair company is being fair with me.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #646 on: February 22, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »
I forgot the pictures.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #647 on: February 22, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
Norma,
 You are quite a gal....you should be a PR person for a big company, no joke.

"To be a PR person, I feel you need to posses a certain skill set that can be broken down into two categories: human skills and professional skills. Human skills include things such as patience and congeniality, while professional skills include the ability to speak publicly and write professionally."

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #648 on: February 22, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »
Norma,
 You are quite a gal....you should be a PR person for a big company, no joke.

"To be a PR person, I feel you need to posses a certain skill set that can be broken down into two categories: human skills and professional skills. Human skills include things such as patience and congeniality, while professional skills include the ability to speak publicly and write professionally."

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your kind words, but my grammar and usage is way off target here on the forum and really when I speak to someone in person.  I donít have correct punctuation in my writing and you can ask Steve about my pronunciation a lot of the time.  I donít carefully choose words and donít know when to begin and end paragraphs when writing.  I just like to talk and find out what people know.  You can also ask Steve about that too.  :-D

I do have patience most of the time.  I could never be a public speaker though.  I shuddered in high school when I had to get it and give a report in front of my classmates.  I am still the same if I donít really know someone.  If I find someone has a common interest then I can go on and on.

Norma 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #649 on: February 22, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
  I just like to talk and find out what people know. 
And that is a valuable gift....most people like to talk just to hear themselves talk. Believe me, I know talent when I see it.

OK, I'll leave you alone about this now....before you loose patience with me!  >:D

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #650 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:29 PM »
This is what a pizza should not look like!  ^^^  At least my pizza prep fridge worked fine today.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #651 on: February 26, 2013, 10:56:09 PM »
No way that was made by your loving hands Norma....  :-D
Was Mr. Ev there today?  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: February 26, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
No way that was made by your loving hands Norma....  :-D
Was Mr. Ev there today?  ;D

Bob,

Yes, that pizza was made with my hands.  Mr. Ev was there today too.  We both forgot the pizza was in the oven while we were talking.   :-D

This one also got a little too brown too.  I don't have any pictures of the goods ones though.

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »
Sunday morning, 10:10 am, and so far I'm nearly halfway through this epic thread ;D

Thanks for all the great info - I'm feeling inspired to mix up some dough with 15% durum flour. 
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Sunday morning, 10:10 am, and so far I'm nearly halfway through this epic thread ;D

Thanks for all the great info - I'm feeling inspired to mix up some dough with 15% durum flour.

Johnny the Gent,

Lol, that this thread made you feel inspired to mix some dough with 15% durum flour. 

Your pizzas always look great and I appreciate everything you have shared here on the forum.

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #655 on: April 14, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
Norma, I'll tell you why I felt inspired  :D - you see, I'm rather limited in my flour selection, and have noticed that while aesthically some of my pies look "up to par", they leave something to be desired in terms of texture and flavor.  I have noticed that when using semolina and semola remacinata di grano duro, flavor improves a lot.  Some of these pies were made with 100% semolina/or 100% s.remacinata di grano duro.  I'm positive that with the addition of one or the other flavor will improve with my NY style pies.

Also I enjoyed the "lesson" about classic, pre 1970's NY pies - that were customarily made with lower protein flours, before the advent of high gluten flours.  Well, that's basically what I have available - low protein flours. It's been a bit of a challenge trying to get adequate coloration, much more so charring, with this type of flour. Having said that, I've come to accept my limitations.  I've also come to accept that I can try and follow many of the wonderful NY recipes on this forum, but adaptations will have to be made in order to get a decent result. 

At any rate, I learned some things thanks to this thread, and the back and forth between yourself and Peter is making for an interesting read.

Thanks for your kind words - cheers!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
Norma, I'll tell you why I felt inspired  :D - you see, I'm rather limited in my flour selection, and have noticed that while aesthically some of my pies look "up to par", they leave something to be desired in terms of texture and flavor.  I have noticed that when using semolina and semola remacinata di grano duro, flavor improves a lot.  Some of these pies were made with 100% semolina/or 100% s.remacinata di grano duro.  I'm positive that with the addition of one or the other flavor will improve with my NY style pies.

Also I enjoyed the "lesson" about classic, pre 1970's NY pies - that were customarily made with lower protein flours, before the advent of high gluten flours.  Well, that's basically what I have available - low protein flours. It's been a bit of a challenge trying to get adequate coloration, much more so charring, with this type of flour. Having said that, I've come to accept my limitations.  I've also come to accept that I can try and follow many of the wonderful NY recipes on this forum, but adaptations will have to be made in order to get a decent result. 

At any rate, I learned some things thanks to this thread, and the back and forth between yourself and Peter is making for an interesting read.

Thanks for your kind words - cheers!

Johnny the Gent,

I understand why you are inspired since you are rather limited in your flour selections.

If Peter is on a thread explaining things it is always interesting, because he knows so much about different pizzas.   

If you want to look at another thread where JimmyG uses semolina and also Jim and I try the epoxy method, it is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19129.0.html  JimmyG is a very accomplished pizza maker.

I think there is also a lot of good information on my other thread about NY style pizza of awhile ago when I was doing experiments at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17417.0.html

Best of luck to you!   ;)  I am always on the journey to make a better pizza.   :-D

Norma

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »
Johnny the Gent,

I understand why you are inspired since you are rather limited in your flour selections.

If Peter is on a thread explaining things it is always interesting, because he knows so much about different pizzas.   

If you want to look at another thread where JimmyG uses semolina and also Jim and I try the epoxy method, it is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19129.0.html  JimmyG is a very accomplished pizza maker.

I think there is also a lot of good information on my other thread about NY style pizza of awhile ago when I was doing experiments at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17417.0.html

Best of luck to you!   ;)  I am always on the journey to make a better pizza.   :-D

Norma

Norma,

Agreed - Peter has done so much for so many people. What can I say, he's the man!

Ahh, the journey! We're all on that journey, in one form or another :D.  Thanks for
providing the links- I'll definitely take a look!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Polo1523

« Reply #658 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:43 AM »
Hello Norma,

I don't normally post that much in the Forum, but I read it all the time, my god your pies look fantastic everytime you post pics, I will follow your recipes and start posting pictures, I am building a wood fire oven will be ready on the next couple of days and will start doing experiments.  :chef: 
Regards Leo.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #659 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »
Hello Norma,

I don't normally post that much in the Forum, but I read it all the time, my god your pies look fantastic everytime you post pics, I will follow your recipes and start posting pictures, I am building a wood fire oven will be ready on the next couple of days and will start doing experiments.  :chef:

Leo,

I appreciate you like my pizzas and also appreciate your kind comments. 

Your WFO looks really nice!  ;D  If you want to try out any of the formulations posted on this thread at a higher heat in your WFO you might need to drop the sugar from when I posted formulations with sugar.  Maybe also drop the oil some.  Also baking in a WFO and a deck oven are a lot different.  What temperatures do you expect to use in your WFO, or donít you know what temperatures it might achieve?  Most members use OO flours in their WFOís.

I have a friend Steve (Ev) here on the forum that did build his own WFO and also has a WFO in his old Airstream camper.  I have baked in Steveís WFOís different times.  Steve usually uses doughs without any sugar or oil when making pies in his WFOís.  I think you might get better replies if you posted the picture of your WFO under another thread and then asked members what they would suggest for your oven. 

I am not saying that one of the formulations I used in this thread might not work, at lower WFO temperatures, but it would take some experimenting to know how long to let the pie stay on the oven floor and then dome it.  Steve does a NY style pizza and a Neapolitan pizza at the same higher oven temperature, but the NY style pizzas are tricky.

I look forward to you posting more and seeing your pizzas.

Norma

pizzapan