Author Topic: Pennsy's pizza seasonings  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Chet

Pennsy's pizza seasonings
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »

What happened to Pennsy's pizza seasonings, this was a hot topic a few years back, Is anyone using it anymore.

Chet

Online dmcavanagh

Re: Pennsy's pizza seasonings
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
I am holding a small jar of Penzey's Pizza Seasoning as I type, the ingredient list reads: salt, fennel seed, oregano,sugar, garlic,black pepper, basil,onion, crushed red pepper and Cayenne red pepper. I bought it out of curiosity on a visit to the Grand Central Mkt. Penzey's location (since closed), and have not been impressed with it at all. I can easily and much more cheaply make my own mix, and for sure it would not contain sugar or Cayenne red pepper. I would assume others have reached the same conclusion.

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
I still use it - one level tsp for 28oz of crushed tomatoes blended - I found smaller amounts of this mix to be OK (decent) for quick palatable sauce. :chef:

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Penzey has some great products but I found that their pizza spices were definitely NOT one of them.  In the jar of spices that I received from them, we found that the "crushed red pepper and Cayenne red pepper" was grossly excessive.  So the product remains on the shelf collecting dust.

I like the practice at many or most eat in pizzerias whereby a shaker jar of red peppers is on the table as an option for those who may like it on their pieces of pizza and those who prefer "without" don't have it automatically included on a baked pizza.

--BTB
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:04:06 AM by BTB »

pizzapan