Author Topic: Neapolitan: On Its Way to Chain Pizza?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Neapolitan: On Its Way to Chain Pizza?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 07:26:45 AM »
Craig. Love the CPN flipPees should have went to pizza expo could have saved a few months research ! Those guys were all there in 1 spot !
As for the authentic brick oven marsAl seems to be the choice around here
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
In Baltimore, a place called Harbor East Delicatessen & Pizzeria advertises "Brick Oven Pizza". They use a Marsal MB series covered by a brick facade.

Just a block away Bagby Pizza Company touts Brick Oven Pizza out of their Bakers Pride forno classico oven.

I first saw "Stone Oven Pizza" in several places in North Carolina's Outer Banks several years ago. Of course all of these places used deck ovens with cordierite or firebrick on the floor and/or ceiling

The public at large are suckers for advertising ploys. The pizza fan in me wants to puke and rages over such bullocks, but from a business perspective it does seem to create interest and generate a buzz. -k

Wouldn't that be considered false advertising though? There's a place my dad goes to all the time in CT that advertises the same thing "brick oven pizza". I checked out their site and it was the same as you said a Marsal with a brick facade. It seems like since all neapolitan/WFO places that have been opening, others in the country want to ride the neapolitan/WFO wave and open a pizzeria calling it neapolitan/WFP/BOP ex., when it really isn't. It's a shame because people will go to that pizzeria and think they are having a neapolitan/WFP/BOP when they really aren't. They are eating some bastardized version which in most all cases is crap. Then they write off neapolitan pizza for good and say that they've had it before and it sucked.

I think that's one of the reasons why Marco would be so adamant about having the right equipment, practices, and experience so that you give the people the best product possible and not some half ass imitation.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
Wouldn't that be considered false advertising though?

If not false, certainly deceptive. Though I doubt it is illegal in most places. What can you do other than call them out?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Via Tribunali on the northwest coast of the united states is a chain that serves neapolitan pizza. They import mostly everything from Italy as well. They say that in naples the pizza is meant to be soggy.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »
Via Tribunali on the northwest coast of the united states is a chain that serves neapolitan pizza. They import mostly everything from Italy as well. They say that in naples the pizza is meant to be soggy.
They personally don't import anything. The flour they use(caputo) is bought from a supplier same with their tomatoes, oils, coffee, ex. This is another thing that is said a lot to mislead people in an advertising scheme. Places will always say "We import every ingredient from Italy to be as "authentic" as possible". Yea like they call up Caputo directly and order the flour every time.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
Query: If part of neopolitan pizza is based on using what is (was) around you, is it proper to have stuff shipped from so far away (even if it's east coast to west coast) and still call it that? I guess I'm asking if it's the actual pizza that is neopolitan, or if the using local ingredients makes it neopolitan? Probably a little semantics in there...

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »
I would say no, it is not proper to import ingredients from halfway around the world so you can simply say your pizza is authentic.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
I would say no, it is not proper to import ingredients from halfway around the world so you can simply say your pizza is authentic.

I tend to agree with you. Use the best ingredients you have available be it local or imported.

Ironically, most of time a place promotes its pizza as "authentic," it's not so good...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »
http://www.viatribunali.net/index.php?page=New-York

This was always inevitable. Anything good always gets mass produced and watered down. At least it is an acknowledgement that Neapolitan pizza is worthy copying. Y'all should find it flattering.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
"The founder of Lucille's Smokehouse BBQ is getting into the pizza business.

Craig Hofman is launching a string of 35 Neapolitan pizzerias in Southern California, he said Monday.  Hofman, who also runs Hof's Hut restaurants, will be a franchisee of Spin restaurants based Kansas City, Mo.

"I was prepared to create my own Neapolitan pizza concept until I discovered Spin," Hofman said. "Their great pizzas and salads were so good that I did not think I could improve the recipes."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bbq-346406-launching-lucille.html
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
 :o

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 11:32:02 PM »
With my foot in my mouth, I recend any statement that I have made against the VPN.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan