Author Topic: Subway Sandwich Bread  (Read 31970 times)

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
Subway Sandwich Bread
« on: September 07, 2005, 03:15:37 PM »
I'm not an experienced baker or anything, so I'd never heard of bread flour, gluten or protein content before coming to this site a few weeks ago.  Now having a few very successful KABF pizza crusts under my belt (and in my belly), I wonder if this bread flour is usefull for actually making... wait for it.. bread.

Specifically, the bread you get at Subway (either wheat or white).  Its a little big chewy, so its probably got a more significant protein content than AP flour, so you'd naturally think that bread flour might be involved.  Mabey their wheat bread, my favorite, gets all its chewiness from the higher-protien wheat flour.  I don't know, but I'm willing to experiment, and I'd like to hear about anyone else's efforts in this direction.

So my goal is to make some bread as good as Subway does.  I know this is a pizza site, but mabey you guys could point me in the right direction. Mabey there's a www.submaking.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Subway Sandwich Bread
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 04:22:47 PM »
Brandon,

You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1328.msg12003.html#msg12003. The Lehmann recipe referenced in the thread is stated in baker's percents so if it is of any interest to you it can be scaled down to whatever number of rolls you might want to make.

Peter

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »
Thanks for the link Peter.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:58:23 PM »
Forgive me but, to get as good as Subway bread is your goal, try some fresh dough at a supermarket. If you want to make real bread, with texture and flavor, hit the library. There are many useful books by the best in the world that will help you make a truly great bread. Even the best writers have very basic recipes that will surpass Subway. Believe me it's more than just the type of flour. Do some reading on the subject and jump in. A couple of books to try.
"The Bread Bible" Rose Levy Beranbaum
"The Bread Baker's Apprentice" Peter Reinhart
I hope this helps. There is a lot of satisfaction in creating a great dough, pizza or bread.

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 10:23:11 AM »
I've tried the big italian rolls at the supermarket but they're nothing special.  I actually prefer wheat breat and I can't even find that (fresh made) at our supermarket.  I guess I could get this stuff at a real bakery, but I'm sure it'd be expensive.  And part of the whole idea is about doing it myself I think.  There IS a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you did it yourself.

I'll check out those books.  I've come to the conclusion that if I never eat another slice of merita/whitewheat/wonderbread again that'll be perfectly fine with me.  Thanks for the reccomendation.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 04:15:28 PM »
Haven't been in a Subway shop in years, but as I recall, the bread was "freshly baked" from frozen loafs, just out of the oven. Even the crappiest bread tastes good just out of the oven. Great bread tastes even better an hour or so later, somedays even a day or two later.

Is it possible that a lot of what you like about Subway bread is because it has just been baked.

The KA website has a recipe for Moomies rolls that makes the best bread for sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, pulled pork, etc. Not sure if it is anything like what you're looking for.

Bill/SFNM

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 06:13:35 PM »
I just had to reply to this one. Subway bread can't possibly be real bread...it's like air that has flour stuck to it. How do you think that fat kid lost so much weight? He was eating air bread....I digress.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 10:00:55 AM »
Personally, I really like the taste and texture of Subway white bread.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline kira09

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »
Specifically, the aliment you get at Subway (either aureate or white). Its a little big chewy, so its apparently got a added cogent protein agreeable than AP flour, so you'd by itself anticipate that aliment abrade ability be involved. Mabey their aureate bread, my favorite, gets all its chewiness from the higher-protien aureate flour. I don't know, but I'm accommodating to experiment, and I'd like to apprehend about anyone else's efforts in this direction.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Can anyone interpret the last post?

I absolutely love Subway bread.  Still not as good as Gonnella, Turano and to a lesser degree S.Rosen.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »
Can anyone interpret the last post?

PizzaPolice,

I believe kira09's native tongue is not English and that has resulted in some translation difficulties. However, I believe that kira09 is trying to draw a distinction between the Subway bread made from white flour and their bread made from whole wheat flour with its higher protein content that contributes to increased chewiness.

This may also help clarify the matter: http://www.detailsarticles.com/article/22819-White-Bread-or-Whole-Wheat-Bread-.

Peter

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh!  It now makes perfect sense.  That guy is way ahead of me.
God bless you, Peter.