Author Topic: Need help with Tom Lehman's NY style pizza  (Read 2276 times)

Offline osipov.tima@gmail.com

Need help with Tom Lehman's NY style pizza
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:03 AM »
Hi everyone! I started practicing making NY style skins according to Tom Lehman's formula.

Flour   100 %               
Wate     60 %         
ADY      0,5 %         
Salt      1,7 %         
Oil       1 %         
Sugar    1 %   

First I dissolve ADY in water at 110 F and let it still for 10 minutes. Then I mix the dough using a planetary mixer 1 minute at first speed and then 6-8 minutes at second speed. Let it bulk rise at room temperature for at least one hour. Then I form balls and retard for one day.

My first problem occurs when I make balls, the dough turns out to be very sticky and like a mess even though the hydration level is moderate. Still I handle to make dough balls.

I bake on a screen in a deck oven with temperature of "sky" set at 320 C and with temperature of deck set at 380 C. The oven's manual states 4 min time of baking. But following these instructions I have cheese turning brown before the crust is fully baked, actually cheese is burnt whenever I try to get a pie fully baked. So I have to choose between white crust and burnt cheese.

I would appreciate any help and advice on my issue!

Tim

buceriasdon

Re: Need help with Tom Lehman's NY style pizza
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:47:49 AM »
Tim, Some people lightly flour the divided dough mass, others like myself lightly oil my hands for balling. This works well at least for me as when I'm done I can slip the ball into a food safe plastic bag and place in the fridge. You might try and up your sugar a point or so to see if that helps with browning. It may also be you may have to try another brand of cheese.
Don

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
Today I baked three pies two on a screen and the third on the stone directly which turned out perefectly. Do I need to increse the deck temperature if I use screen?

Offline atom

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
I flour my hands before I start to form my dough balls. With some practice you can learn to form your balls fast before it starts sticking to you. When I put it in the container to rise it usually gets coated with some spray oil (pam). What flour are you using?

Offline David Deas

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »
Wet your hands and the dough will never stick to them.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »
I am new to screens myself but what has been working for me is to take the pizza off the screen after the two minute point and finish on the deck.
Don

Today I baked three pies two on a screen and the third on the stone directly which turned out perefectly. Do I need to increse the deck temperature if I use screen?

Offline franko9752

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
I have been playing with screens lately, i would just leave a screen in the oven on the deck, cook the pie first on the deck and if the bottom looks good but the top needs more time i move the pie on to the screen already on the deck, works pretty good.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
I flour my hands before I start to form my dough balls. With some practice you can learn to form your balls fast before it starts sticking to you. When I put it in the container to rise it usually gets coated with some spray oil (pam). What flour are you using?

I use farina 00 flour mixed with all purpose bread flour 50 % and 50 %.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
I am new to screens myself but what has been working for me is to take the pizza off the screen after the two minute point and finish on the deck.
Don

I want to set this type of procedure for baking and my pizza shop (first on a screen and finish on a stone) ..guess I need more time experimenting.. Thanks everybody for advices!

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:20:21 AM »
Please do keep us updated on your experiments.
Don

I want to set this type of procedure for baking and my pizza shop (first on a screen and finish on a stone) ..guess I need more time experimenting.. Thanks everybody for advices!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »
Osipov;
At the temperature you're baking at the specific brand of cheese that you are using in browning excessively, so when you bake the pizza right on the stone you are getting the bottom done faster than you would if using a screen. This means that the top and bottom of the pizza are being baked more closely together. With the screen, the baking time will be longer, but the cheese can't be subjected to a longer bake or it will burn. Increasing the baking temperature will only result in the cheese burning faster, so the solution is, when baking on a screen you must actually reduce the baking temperature to something in the 500F/260C range and bake the pizza for a longer time. If you find that the cheese still gets too dark, you might need to change to a different cheese manufacturer.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:29:38 AM »
Osipov;
At the temperature you're baking at the specific brand of cheese that you are using in browning excessively, so when you bake the pizza right on the stone you are getting the bottom done faster than you would if using a screen. This means that the top and bottom of the pizza are being baked more closely together. With the screen, the baking time will be longer, but the cheese can't be subjected to a longer bake or it will burn. Increasing the baking temperature will only result in the cheese burning faster, so the solution is, when baking on a screen you must actually reduce the baking temperature to something in the 500F/260C range and bake the pizza for a longer time. If you find that the cheese still gets too dark, you might need to change to a different cheese manufacturer.

I thank you Tom for your attention to my problem. In about one hour I will try to follow your advice setting the temp at 260C and bake longer. But I still have two questions: what is the right time for a pizza baking on a screen at 260C? And the second question is do I need to turn of the upper heating ellement in the oven?

Generally speaking I face two issues: the cheese is burnt and the rim of a pie doesn't get brown just little bit gold in a few spots

Thank you

Tim

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
Please check out my pizza. I used Tom's formula. 36 hours of cold fermentation, hand tossed pizza with mozz and dorblu cheese.

It's one of my best pies so far and that is how I want my pizzas to be at my pizza shop.

All opinions and suggestions are welcomed

Tim
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:10:59 AM by osipov.tima@gmail.com »

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
the next pic

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »
and

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
and

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
and the bottom

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
the last one

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
Tim;
Try "decking" the pizza. This is where the pizza is removed from the screen during the last minute or so of baking and finished right on the deck. It helps immensely to improve the bottom bake.

pizzapan