Author Topic: boston sources of pizza stuff  (Read 1433 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
boston sources of pizza stuff
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:14 AM »
A new forum member recently pm'd me wondering where to find KASL around boston, so I wanted to post my answer on the forum to help out anyone else in the area that might be interested.   

http://accardifoods.com/   accardi foods in medford kas kasl, caputo, and all trumps....lots of good tomatoes, even some very high end ones in small cans, but you must buy by the case.    They advertise that they dont sell to individuals and their prices aren't as good as some of these other places, but if you put together a decent sized order I have found that they dont mind selling to the public at all.   I get a bag of flour, a case of tomatoes, paper towels, a case of fancy imported italian sodas or water and they are fine with that.    I think they break cases of empire mozzarella, which is the one used at regina and santarpios, so its a good cheese.  

http://www.costasprov.com/  costas provisions also sells to the public, and have a cash and carry window.    They have a great cheese that they break cases of called vantaggio... its used at johnny's in mt. vernon, and is a little sharper than empire.    They don't have an online product listing, but they carry most major flours too.    All trumps, full strength, Rex royal (a non bromated flour recommended by tom lehmann) maybe even harvest king and KASL.    They will sell cases of good tomatoes.   The nice thing about buying here is that they are set up for small operations and dont mind selling you a single case of tomatoes, or one block of cheese.   This is one of, if not the only place in boston that will sell you grande mozzarella, but im not sure if they will break cases.  You can call and ask any questions and find out prices over the phone before you go.    

If your looking for non bromated all trumps you will need to drive to new bedford or fall river and go to http://www.rfsdelivers.com/    they have two cash and carry locations with lots of products already there, but you have to call ahead to order (cases only) of grande mozzarella or the non bromated all trumps.   They will bring them over from the warehouse if you special order a day in advance.   This is another place that doesn't mind sitting on the phone with you to go through their massive catalog.       

harvest king flour (one of the best if not the best for long slow fermentations...the flour at apizza scholls and varasanos) is at perkins in taunton, and they have an online product guide.  http://www.perkins1.com/   they have a cash and carry store, so they are happy to sell just one thing and are open to the public.    They have a small but nicely thought out selection of single cans of some really great italian and california tomatoes out to buy, along with lots of kitchen supplies.   This is where I buy cases of buffalo mozzarella for 63 bucks, but they also have some nice dry cheeses to try and will usually break cases if you just ask them to (not on the buffala).     

finally, http://www.restaurantdepot.com/  is where I shop the most.    They have EVERYTHING at great wholesale prices, and they will give you a day pass if you ask.  to get a real full time membership all you need is a tax id number, so I have heard of people forming a corporation just to get a membership. I use a tax id for a recording studio, and they dont seem to care that its not food related.    This is where I go for screens,peels, cambro containers, pans, pizza cutters, kinves, steaks, sabbrett hot dogs, fresh organic basil, cheesecake, a great 00 flour thats very comparable to caputo, grass fed beef tenderloins, gyro bread, Idy, fresh yeast....the list of good stuff here goes on and on.  Most of the stuff here is broken down into single containers as well as by the case, including EVERY tomato under the sun.  Its nice to be able to try one can at a time, and this is one of the very few places selling 6 in 1's.    I love the polyo mozzarella here as well as the saputo mozzarella (a new product that has been the best tasting/melting aged mozzarella I have found locally, but I also recently got a bad batch that burned easily so the jurys still out), there are many other choices of fresh and aged cheese (belgioioso, 1960, supremo italiano etc) .     They have logs of fresh but not in water (cryovac) polyo (another new product).... this is what is used at patsys harlem, and they even sell mozzarella curd.   what they dont have is harvest king, buffalo mozzarella, grande cheese, or non bromated all trumps.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: boston sources of pizza stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing Scott. Especially on the HK. What brand bufala mozz do they carry at perkins and does it compare to the Garafalo bufala they sell at Costco?

Scott when you go to Accardi talk to Robert Donahue. He sells me single items all the time like cheese, tomatoes and flour. You know they have a WFO upstairs in their showroom that they use sometimes, it's pretty cool.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
hey, that is a cool upstairs with the wfo.   Actually thats where I first met roberto and fred mortadi many years ago when accardi first introduced caputo flour to boston with a neapolitan pizza event.    Roberto used a spiral mixer and a fast fermentation, and even then the pizza was really good.   He told me the oven was tough to cook in, though.... he spent most of his time holding pizzas up off the floor.     Thats good to know they don't mind selling one item.   I have noticed that the big sign saying (we do not sell to the public) came down in the past few years, so maybe they are hurtin for business LOL.   

Im not sure of the brand but its just as good as garafalo, and usually fresher than the costco stuff.   I have had it within a few days of manufacture even.   Its worth the trip down there.     

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

The restaurant I work at gets their order from coastas provisions, we use vantaggio chesse all the time its preshredded though 75-25 cheddar mozzarella blend.

Im thinking of taking a trip down to restaurant depot tomorrow just to check it out... I want to get an outstanding block of whole milk mozzarella bc what i can get at my local cash and carry is lousy the great value wm mozzarella performs and tastes better. Are you positve they give you a day pass? And does it cost money?
Jamie

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »
I almost feel like it really depends on who you talk to.   All the RD's have pretty grumpy employees from what I have seen and read, but their policy is that you can get a free day pass (at least it was).   I would call them first.   

I mentioned it earlier, but the new saputo cheese they got in is outstanding, but unfortunately there was a bad batch just last week.  Maybe they have sold through it.  You could ask the cheese guy when they got the last load.   Luckily the poly-o whole milk has been really good lately, so you might want to try that.   Even 1950 melts pretty good and has flavor, but the pie can end up a little salty if you get salt from other means in addition to your mozzarella.  I haven't tried the supremo italiano because it only comes in shredded form at this location, but I have seen boxes from the block form in dumpsters of some very highly regarded pizzerias in new haven, so its worth a try I guess.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »
Thanks Scott, im going to call before hand its a 50 mile trip for me so thats the best idea. Is the polly-o they sell the same as what you can find in local supermarkets in one pound blocks or is it a higher quality version for restaurants?
Jamie

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:58:07 AM »
yes, it is a higher quality version with a higher fat content.    Unfortunately it too has its bad batches.   with the saputo the bad batches burn, but with the poly o the bad batches just have no flavor.   

pizzapan