Author Topic: Still looking for more "puff" in my crust  (Read 1696 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Still looking for more "puff" in my crust
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »
I'm sure Scott or Craig will chime in here, but from my experience changing out the cooking surface won't impact your "puffiness" that much.

Actually intense heat from below is definitely a factor in improving oven spring, and, if you look at Damian's undercrust, he's currently not getting a lot of heat from below.

Offline scott123

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 02:04:54 AM »
I definitely agree with you on the importance of getting a consistent performance from my oven (broiler). I would rather not perform an oven mod, however, as my girlfriend and I recently caused $3000 in water damage to our apartment and would therefore want to shy away from any "risky" behavior.

That said, the only tweak I could make at this point would be to get a better cooking surface. Where do you suggest I find a 1/2" steel plate?

If you look up metal (or maybe steel) in the yellow pages, you'll find a plate distributor.  You want to look for a36 hot rolled steel plate- that's the cheap, generic, industrial grade steel. Get the largest square piece that your oven can handle- the bigger the target the better.  You don't need air gaps on all four sides, just two.  Since ovens tend to be wider than they are deep I recommend sizing it so that it's almost touching the back wall and door. Measure carefully.

The steel plate will go along way in generating more undercrust char, but, like I said, keep a gentle oven mod in mind.  575 isn't 'risky' behavior.  800- now that's risky.

Offline dbarneschi

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
Scott,

I'll definitely have to look into getting a steel plate. Thanks for the info.

As far as performing an oven mod, does this always mean altering the stove's wiring? If so, not being a very handy person in this department, the forums I have seen on this topic look quite intimidating. Do you have a preferred forum link that you can direct me for instructions with this procedure? Thanks.

Offline communist

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
Get the largest square piece that your oven can handle- the bigger the target the better.  You don't need air gaps on all four sides, just two.  Since ovens tend to be wider than they are deep I recommend sizing it so that it's almost touching the back wall and door. Measure carefully.

I agree Scott.  My steel plate is 1/2 inch thick and 17 by 17.  I am now doing 16 inch pies, and I would like a larger plate, perhaps 18 by 20.  I did a little sheetmetal work to extend my plate an extra 1 1/2 inch.  It helps when sliding a 16 inch pie.  In the picture, there is a one inch Pizza Gourmet stone underneath which I have from 20 years ago.  I feel it gives me some thermal mass as I bake 4 or 5 pies in rapid succession.  Mark