Author Topic: Tom Lehmann's Retirement Announcement  (Read 326 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Tom Lehmann's Retirement Announcement
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:23 PM »
Well deserved...Mr. Lehmann is awesome.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:08 AM »
Tom is a true gentleman and friend of the forum. I bet countless pizza makers have benefitted from his pizza dough experience and generosity to us all.
Be well , Tom.
Thank you.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
Tom is a true gentleman and friend of the forum. I bet countless pizza makers have benefitted from his pizza dough experience and generosity to us all.
Be well , Tom.
Thank you.

Mark

^^^  I have learned a lot from Tom.  Tom thanks so much to all you do!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »
^^^  I have learned a lot from Tom.  Tom thanks so much to all you do!

Norma
Norma,

I agree.

When I joined the forum about ten years ago, there were only about 500 members. Then as now, only a small percent of the members were active members who posted with regularity. The sole goal at the time was to teach each other how to make pizzas and to make each post a teaching experience. I perhaps had an advantage over most of the other members at the time because for about two years before I joined the forum I had read just about everything that I could find that Tom wrote. Along with Big Dave Ostrander and John Correll, they were just about the only game in town on the Internet to learn about pizza making. In my case, I was perhaps a natural for what Tom wrote because he discussed the science and math aspects of pizza making, and those facets held great appeal to me. So, I soaked up as much as I could from Tom's work and fed it back to our members, always with attribution to Tom. I figured if the members didn't believe me, they would believe Tom. That practice continues to this day.

It was also Tom's work that led me and Mike (Boy Hits Car) to come up with the dough calculating tools on the forum. I had done the basic design of the tools based on what I learned from Tom, but Mike did the coding, which was not something I could do. It took us months to get the job done, and we even did beta testing of the tools with the members who specialized in the particular aspects of the tools, but it was a wonderful collaboration. The first dough calculating tool was designed to be specific to Tom's NY style dough so it was fitting that we called it the Lehmann dough calculating tool to honor Tom. I don't have to tell you, but you know first hand the impact those tools have had on our members over the years. I viewed the tools as a seminal event that changed the course of the forum, much as Craig's work is now doing with his fermentation tools. But the genesis of much of the work was Tom's work. It was hugely responsible for the success and growth of this forum.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 11:54:01 AM »
Tom is the Babe Ruth of pizza.  No one will ever touch his level of kindness.  He treats the brand new homebaker with as much integrity as he would the owner of Dominos.  Walter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
Norma,

I agree.

When I joined the forum about ten years ago, there were only about 500 members. Then as now, only a small percent of the members were active members who posted with regularity. The sole goal at the time was to teach each other how to make pizzas and to make each post a teaching experience. I perhaps had an advantage over most of the other members at the time because for about two years before I joined the forum I had read just about everything that I could find that Tom wrote. Along with Big Dave Ostrander and John Correll, they were just about the only game in town on the Internet to learn about pizza making. In my case, I was perhaps a natural for what Tom wrote because he discussed the science and math aspects of pizza making, and those facets held great appeal to me. So, I soaked up as much as I could from Tom's work and fed it back to our members, always with attribution to Tom. I figured if the members didn't believe me, they would believe Tom. That practice continues to this day.

It was also Tom's work that led me and Mike (Boy Hits Car) to come up with the dough calculating tools on the forum. I had done the basic design of the tools based on what I learned from Tom, but Mike did the coding, which was not something I could do. It took us months to get the job done, and we even did beta testing of the tools with the members who specialized in the particular aspects of the tools, but it was a wonderful collaboration. The first dough calculating tool was designed to be specific to Tom's NY style dough so it was fitting that we called it the Lehmann dough calculating tool to honor Tom. I don't have to tell you, but you know first hand the impact those tools have had on our members over the years. I viewed the tools as a seminal event that changed the course of the forum, much as Craig's work is now doing with his fermentation tools. But the genesis of much of the work was Tom's work. It was hugely responsible for the success and growth of this forum.

Peter

Peter,

I always enjoy hearing how the forum has evolved and keeps evolving.  I know you already had studied a lot about making pizzas before you became a guest and then a moderator here.  The guest part of you here on the forum did not last too long.  I know you already understood the science and math aspects of pizza making, so I know those facets held a great appeal to you.  I see you provide links to Tom's writings all the time. 

I don't think a lot of newer members really know how much work that took for you and Mike to come up with the dough calculating tools here on the forum.  Every time I use the Lehmann dough calculating tool I think of Tom.  I know I would be completely lost if I could not use those dough calculating tools, and am sure there are many more members that feel the same way as I do.  I know Craig's work is now changing the forum. 

I think everyone that has been helped by Tom Lehmann should give him a big applause and a standing ovation.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
Norma,

One of the collateral benefits of the dough calculating tools is that it forced a lot of people to learn about baker's percents and to get good digital scales. Otherwise, the forum would have become a Tower of Babel. Just as I'm sure that Tom learned, it would have been almost impossible to teach people about making pizza dough using only volume measurements. The baker's percents became the language that allowed us to communicate with each other.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
Norma,

One of the collateral benefits of the dough calculating tools is that it forced a lot of people to learn about baker's percents and to get good digital scales. Otherwise, the forum would have become a Tower of Babel. Just as I'm sure that Tom learned, it would have been almost impossible to teach people about making pizza dough using only volume measurements. The baker's percents became the language that allowed us to communicate with each other.

Peter

Peter,

I totally agree that the benefits of the dough calculating tools have forced a lot of people to learn about baker's percents and to get decent digital scales.  I can understand that this forum would have been in a mess if there was not a common language for everything to use.  I am also sure Tom knew that it would have been almost impossible to teach people about making pizza using only volume measurements.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »
The baker's percents became the language that allowed us to communicate with each other.

250:61.5,2.8,1.9,24+24@64,55@950
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 03:54:13 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
250:61.5,2.8,1.9,55@950

Ok, I now realize that I am more of a fanatic than I thought I was - 250 gram dough ball, 61.5% hydration, 2.8% salt, 1.9% starter, baked at 950 for 55 seconds.  You left out the temperature and length of the fermentation period.

:o

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 03:53:53 PM »
Ok, I now realize that I am more of a fanatic than I thought I was - 250 gram dough ball, 61.5% hydration, 2.8% salt, 1.9% starter, baked at 950 for 55 seconds.  You left out the temperature and length of the fermentation period.

:o

oops. fixed now.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
Tom is the Babe Ruth of pizza.  No one will ever touch his level of kindness.  He treats the brand new homebaker with as much integrity as he would the owner of Dominos.  Walter
ain't dat da truth!  Wishing Tom much happiness in retirement and any new pursuits he takes up.  My hope is that he continues to share his wisdom and insight with us here.  They are pearls of great price, and sincerely appreciated.

pizzapan