Author Topic: Bloomberg Video: Pizza Making Robots Are Coming for Domino's  (Read 430 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Bloomberg Video: Pizza Making Robots Are Coming for Domino's
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:16:58 AM »
Coincidentally, this week's "Riddler" puzzle on the 538 website is titled "What if Robot's Cut Your Pizza?"
Riddler puzzles are math, logic and probability puzzles and are quite tough. 

Given the topic, I will provide extra dedication and time to my attempt at forging a solution by the deadline Sunday night............However, given that the cuts in the puzzle are random, it is unlikely to be incorporated into the pizza robot's process or that of most of our members.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-robots-cut-your-pizza/
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 12:26:53 PM »
Peter;
An now we also have 3-D printers for making pizzas too! Any guesses of what a pizzeria might look like in 25-years? From what I've heard the things that are pushing the "mechanization" of not just pizzerias but all box type fast food chains is (1) Increasing operating costs, (assuming this might have something to do with the new minimum wage and health care regs.) (2) Availability of the technology (it's there, and the price is right, why not use it?) (3) The novelty factor (4) Expansion of marketing horizons (The target appears to be non-manned "food kiosks" where the customer selects from a menu, pays, and automatically gets food prepared by the machine) We already have a pizza machine that does this so the "ice has been broken" for more things to come.
Good, bad or indifferent, I think this is the new future for fast food.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline caymus

Online IndyRob

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »
Any guesses of what a pizzeria might look like in 25-years?

Would anyone have ever predicted the Chicago deep dish 25 years before?  I don't know that anything other than market forces have ever defined any food segment.  Only recently have the inputs (chefs & ingredients) gotten any notice (in America).

As a fan of robotics, I'm pretty embarrassed by the state of the art displayed in the bloomberg video.  It's basically the CostCo saucer, a Lucy Arnaz conveyor (with people trying to get the toppings on while it goes past), and a robo-slider to get it into the oven.

I didn't listen to the audio which may explain rationally why they chose these steps.  But this is also a day when Boston Dynamics shared video of their newest robots.

I think we'll eventually have robots that can cook.  And do it better than us.  They'll have infrared eyes, thermapen fingers, and will never tire of doing the same thing over and over.

Offline Randy_j

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 08:42:15 PM »
If you watch movies this was predicted in the movie idiocracy. They had robot restaurant kiosk that people would line up for. If you haven't seen it it is about the dumbing down of America. I think it was made in the mid 90's and it is slightly scarry how a lot of the things have kind of come to be like in the movie.

Randy

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »
I wish I was as optimistic as John Tamny regarding robotics.  Although I understand where he is coming from generally, I keep wondering how we will teach our young to work if there are few jobs for them to do...and how will that impact American society?

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2016/06/14/robots_will_be_the_biggest_job_creators_yet_102221.html

John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 02:57:34 AM »
I wish I was as optimistic as John Tamny regarding robotics.  Although I understand where he is coming from generally, I keep wondering how we will teach our young to work if there are few jobs for them to do...and how will that impact American society?

http://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2016/06/14/robots_will_be_the_biggest_job_creators_yet_102221.html

John

My guess is jobs will continue to disappear at an exponentially increasing pace.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:57:34 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »
... I keep wondering how we will teach our young to work if there are few jobs for them to do...and how will that impact American society?
Back in 1987 on my first business trip, I sat next to an Asian gentleman on the aircraft.  He turned out to be quite philosophical and provided me with a "nugget" of insight I have shared many times.

He stated that "You westerner's undoing will be your constant quest for efficiency.  You will automate everything, than where will be the jobs for your lower skilled people?  They need something to do, to be productive, to be needed, and to stay out of trouble.  You will eventually legalize drugs so as to warehouse these unemployable in your cities..."

Offline caymus

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 10:48:01 AM »
My guess is jobs will continue to disappear at an exponentially increasing pace.

Especially with the push to $15/hr minimum wages.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »
I think if you go to <www.quantumtechnicalservices.com> you'll be able to see the same type of equipment as seen in the video. There is nothing new about automated equipment to open a dough ball into a pizza skin one at a time (Rheon has a pretty slick one) and sauce applicators are a dime a dozen (do you want a waterfall or target sauce applicator?), loading a pizza into an oven....ya gotta be kidding! Where are the "robotics" here? Automated yes, but robotic? We use robotics in the baking industry to place product in the cases, close and seal the case, place the cases on pallets then send them on their way to a stretch wrapper. In the pizza industry robotics are used to place the dough balls into the plastic dough boxes/trays just prior to going into the cooler...what a sight it is too!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »
Coincidentally, this week's "Riddler" puzzle on the 538 website is titled "What if Robot's Cut Your Pizza?"
Riddler puzzles are math, logic and probability puzzles and are quite tough. 

Given the topic, I will provide extra dedication and time to my attempt at forging a solution by the deadline Sunday night............However, given that the cuts in the puzzle are random, it is unlikely to be incorporated into the pizza robot's process or that of most of our members.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-robots-cut-your-pizza/

Wish me luck - I submitted my answer, on time,  of (exactly) 5 pieces of pizza are expected (on the average) from 3 random Robot Cuts in a round pie.  I will find out Friday if I need to stay after class.  Phew!
Mitch

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
Wish me luck - I submitted my answer, on time,  of (exactly) 5 pieces of pizza are expected (on the average) from 3 random Robot Cuts in a round pie.  I will find out Friday if I need to stay after class.  Phew!

I agree the expected value is 5, but what is the probability you will get exactly 5 pieces?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
12/27 = .444......

PM me if you want me to send the solve I submitted for the overall problem.  More than happy to do so.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:11:44 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

wordpress