Author Topic: Norma Hits the Top of the Mark  (Read 1784 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Norma Hits the Top of the Mark
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
what a joy to find this thread.   Norma, your lust for knowledge and the ability to execute is a huge inspiration to me!   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 04:41:56 PM »
what a joy to find this thread.   Norma, your lust for knowledge and the ability to execute is a huge inspiration to me!   

Scott,

Thanks so much for your kind words.  I recall how you helped me on the boardwalk thread when I was attempting to make a pizza something like Mack's.  Thanks for your help!  You have been an inspiration to me.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline reeter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 12:08:45 PM »
OMG, this surely makes me want to be a traveler instead of being a homebody person.  Pizza, it's not just for breakfast anymore.  Love the article, Norma.  Congratulations.

I do have a question about Tuesday only, does someone else have the place other days of the week?  How does that work to rent the space? The markets around here usually only take place 1 day a week, areas get closed off and tents and tables are put up.  The only exception to that seems to be The Pike Place Market and vendors there could not afford to open only one day a week.  You are lucky to not be roped into working a daily grind, I could not do that anymore.
reeter 

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
she keeps getting more and more famous  :D

check the comments of Adam's list
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/8-pizzas-that-haunt-my-dreams-2014.html
Deb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
OMG, this surely makes me want to be a traveler instead of being a homebody person.  Pizza, it's not just for breakfast anymore.  Love the article, Norma.  Congratulations.

I do have a question about Tuesday only, does someone else have the place other days of the week?  How does that work to rent the space? The markets around here usually only take place 1 day a week, areas get closed off and tents and tables are put up.  The only exception to that seems to be The Pike Place Market and vendors there could not afford to open only one day a week.  You are lucky to not be roped into working a daily grind, I could not do that anymore.
reeter 

reeter,

Thanks for the congratulations!

Root's Market is only open on Tuesday's and nobody opens the market the rest of the week.  Root's first opened in 1925 as a poultry auction.  Stand rents against the wall or more money per square ft. than the middle stands.  We all pay a monthly rent.  Outside stands are a lot cheaper than inside stands. http://www.rootsmarket.com/  There are many standholders that go to other markets in our area with the same things they sell at Root's.  My late husband and I used to do that with our caramel popcorn, kettle corn, cotton candy, clear toys candy etc.   

I might be only one day a week to actually make pizzas, but I work other days at market getting things ready for Tuesday's.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2014, 07:13:52 PM »
she keeps getting more and more famous  :D

check the comments of Adam's list
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/8-pizzas-that-haunt-my-dreams-2014.html

Deb,

I would have missed the comments if you would not have told me about them.  Thanks!

Norma

Offline reeter

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2014, 10:07:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply and the look see, Norma.  I did see the Caramel Corn stand is still there that you had. Yes, people tend to forget that there are not elves (except at Christmas time, of course) that come in to do all the shopping & prep/product work for a market business. Also nice that you do not need to set up and take down tents.  That is kind of neat that they only open one day a week and haven't seen the need to sell off the land for houses or apartments. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply and the look see, Norma.  I did see the Caramel Corn stand is still there that you had. Yes, people tend to forget that there are not elves (except at Christmas time, of course) that come in to do all the shopping & prep/product work for a market business. Also nice that you do not need to set up and take down tents.  That is kind of neat that they only open one day a week and haven't seen the need to sell off the land for houses or apartments. 

reeter,

Yep, the caramel corn stand is still there, and has been there since 1928, when my late husbands parents started outside at Root's.  We used to have some our customers tell us how easy we had it only working one day a week.  They didn't realize we had another market, tried a extra one and failed, did wholesale orders for clear toy candy, and had a concession trailer at one time.  They also didn't realize we worked almost 7 days a week to keep the businesses going.  I agree it is nice I don't have to set up and take down tents.  I did that that a few times at Root's when they had outside events with pizza.  That was too much loading and dragging equipment around for my old body. :-D

Root's owns a lot of surrounding homes, the golf course, the flea and antique market and the auction house (or did with the market managers father helping to start the auction house).  The market managers son is now working at Root's too, so I don't think they will ever sell the land for houses or apartments.  The market masters son also has a stand outside at Root's now.

Norma 

Offline Pauley

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:20 AM »
WTG!!!!!!!