Author Topic: Runaway pizza trailer  (Read 389 times)

nick57 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Runaway pizza trailer
« on: October 11, 2014, 12:05:49 PM »
Watch the video. Very sad. I wonder how many people with homemade pizza ovens (on trailers) don't have electric brakes?

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/chp-recommends-charges-fatal-pizza-oven-crash/nhgkX/
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Re: Runaway pizza trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
Tragic that this happened. Good that you posted it to raise awareness.  Clearly, there are many mobile businesses on the forum that are heading out to the shed to check these areas if they are not already aware of discrepancies. Thanks for posting, Steve.
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline JoeG

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:17:49 AM »
The bigger issue was the low rated hitch and the faulty safety chains. The brakes wouldn't have stopped it from flipping and still becoming a projectile. The chains would have at least kept it hooked to the tow vehicle.
I love making WF pizza! http://www.rivercitywoodfire.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
Tragic that this happened. Good that you posted it to raise awareness.  Clearly, there are many mobile businesses on the forum that are heading out to the shed to check these areas if they are not already aware of discrepancies. Thanks for posting, Steve.
Cheers,
Don
I doubt this forum has any mobile members that are as stupid as that guy. He killed somebody and will probably get off very easy.  ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Peasant

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:39:51 AM »
If the oven does belong to Rosso (a reputable pizzeria), then it's on them.  I'm surprised that they or the driver expected an oven trailer to stay hitched like that.

Anyone able to identify the oven/trailer maker?  It looks like it wasn't a in-house job.

I didn't know trailers over a certain weight required the additional brakes.  Anyone know oven trailer makers that include them?

Offline PrimeRib

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:55:49 AM »
I do not know what pizza trailers have, but my two horse trailer has a four part system. First, there is a very strong claw that connects the trailer to the receiving ball on the SUV. Second, there is a set of inertia breaks that automatically apply breaking power to the trailer when the SUV brakes are applied, although these brakes do not work on the trailer in reverse (I.e., rolling backwards downhill). Third, the trailer has two safety chains that each connect to the hitch on the SUV.  And forth, the trailer has an emergency brake system, that is activated by a cord that loops around the receiving ball on the SUV. If the trailer separates from the SUV, that cord will be pulled tight, actuating the emergency brake on the trailer.

pizzapan