Author Topic: New York Pizza Show November 1 and 2  (Read 7967 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
New York Pizza Show November 1 and 2
« on: September 09, 2005, 10:51:37 AM »
Does anybody plan on attending the Pizza Marketing Quarterly New York Pizza Show?  If so, let me know and maybe we can meet at the event.

http://newyorkpizzashow.com/attend/index.php

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: New York Pizza Show November 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »
I was there last year.

I think it is addressed mainly to commercial operator and do not think would be interesting for you scott....

Ciao

PS Do you already miss Sorrento and the Costiera???? I am going back on Tuesday for few days.....

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 09:36:17 AM »
Scott,

Yeah, PizzaNapolitano is right.  It is geared mostly to commercial.  There is no way you could possibly learn anything from the people who will be at the show.  You won't learn a thing from talking to the people at Grande cheese, who by the way is going to be opening a retail division sometime next year, Lasafre yeast, general mills flour, Caputo, you can't possibly learn anything of value from talking to oven manufacutres like Marsal, Wood Stone, Lincoln, Middleby Marshall, Roto-Flex, Bakers Pride, Blodgett, these folks don't know anything.  And don't waste your time with seminars like dough boot camp, taught by Tim Huff from general mills, who has forgotten more about flour than everybody on this fourm knows.  And don't wast your time listening to Tom Lehman from the American Institute of Baking, his seminar where you actually make dough, won't teach you a thing.  Although it is kind of fun to watch the chef that Caputo brought throw a hissy fit when he does not win the pizza competition forcing show management to huddle and come up with a token "Participation Plate" so he stops crying like a little girl. Yeah, you should continue to get your information from this group of amatuer yet passionate community, these folks know better than any of the pros you would get to meet at the show.

Rep
(With tounge firmly planted in cheek)

Offline ilpizzaiolo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 04:54:12 PM »
thank you for confirming that the pizza show is geared mostly towards commercial operators. Even the seminars were geared towards commercial pizza, except for one that peter reinhart did on artisan pizza. And all of those companies for the most part make equipment or food products for commercial pizza, not the real thing. You are right to say those people and companies know alot about what they do... And alot of them make a great product, but it is the same products everyone makes. Those people and companies do not know very muvh when it comes to neapolitan, or artisan pizza. That is why all the pizza made at these shows stinks!

ciao

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:27:17 AM »
Marco,

I am quite jealous that you are going back to Italy, I was just looking over my photos from my vacation last night, and I am having dreams about being there.  I have started looking into another vacation in a year or so, and I have found many rental villas that will be even cheaper than a hotel.  Most importantly they even have kitchens so that I can use up some of that amazing produce that I saw everywhere in the markets.  That was the only regret from my trip, not being able to cook with what seemed to be the best ingredients I have ever found anywhere.

As far as the pizza show goes, I think I still might head down there.  Even though I am a home pizza maker I am always trying to find out what is going on, and into the pizzas that the pros make.  I have looked through the lists of seminars etc. and I think there might be enough there to keep my interest.  Plus, I have a list of questions for the resident experts, Lehman etc. if they really will be available.  I have to admit that there is part of me that has been believing all of my friends that are telling me that I have to open my own pizzeria. Obviously this is the place to go to find out about some of the realitys of this potential endeavor.  Of course this is also just an excuse to do another NY pizza marathon, plus get to tour some famous pizzerias with the PMQ guys.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 11:21:14 AM by scott r »

Offline chiguy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 07:00:31 PM »
 Hi, Scott r
 I went to the Las Vegas pizza expo, i took Tom Leahman's course and also took The Pizza Crust Boot Camp offered by General Mills. This course is taught by Tim Huff and was excellent. Yes i understand the Expo is not Italy but you will run into some Italian Vendors, just dont expect them to give a demonstration of their product they much to busy sitting around enjoying their paid vacation. The Italians really know how to live. I hope you enjoy the show.               Chiguy

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 12:07:35 PM »
Getting back to the original topic, yes I'll probably go to the show.  I've never been and am looking forward to learning more about the world of pizza, both to continue improving my home-pizza-making-skills and with an eye towards a possible commercial venture in the future.

Which of the seminars can anyone recommend?  How long do they run and how many people typically attend them?

Any other tips from experienced Show-goers about how to extract the maximum amount of information from the show?

TIA for any advice.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »
Pizzabrewer,  Like I said in my original reply, the events I said would not do you any good, are exactly the ones that I got alot of info from and really helped me. Everybody forgets I did that post tounge in cheek, that means I was kidding.  Tim Huffs boot camp is great, anything done by Tom Lehman is excellent.  You actually get to make dough in his seminar. Regardless of what the others think, there are some commercial operators and some oven people who make damn good pizza, and know what they are talking about.  The world doesn't revolve around neopolitan pizza, oh yeah, in my opinion, I almost forgot, and I can't change the fact that the chef from Caputo acted like a big baby.  That is the facts.  I saw it.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 03:06:28 PM »
I'll definitely be going, scott r or anyone else want to meet up at some point?  Maybe we could go after the show to try some of the legendary NY pizzas?

BTW, can anyone advise me if the Pizza University seminars are open to all attendees, or does one need to pre-register for the seminars?  The website isn't very clear about that.

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Repguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 07:55:37 PM »
The seminars are open to all if you have a badge for the show.  No special registration for the seminars, at least that is the way it used to be done.  I don't know about this year.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 09:45:13 PM »
Guy, Lets meet up.  I will email you  my phone number.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 03:56:17 PM »
Came away somewhat unimpressed by my first visit to this Trade show.I have visited many shows from various industries over the years and this one seemed decidedly "Flat".Very little was represented in the Refridgeration /Prep table area,Coffee Eqpt,Uniform/Apparel,Flour and other obvious departments. It would have been nice to see booths from Companies such as KA,Illy, and the like.I guess they all save up for Las Vegas.Caputo were set up next to Woodstone and utilized a Woodstone Gas oven.Both stands offered samples  of Pizza.The Caputos Pizzas looked slightly better,(probably due to different dough production method etc.) but neither was up to the quality of a Forno Legna produced Pizza IMO.Nice to meet a couple of fellow contributors to this website and enjoy their shared enthusiasm for  Pizza.Only managed to catch one of the Seminars (Levine / Reinhart ) which didn't really offer anything new or information that couldn't probably be found on this website.For two guys who have written enjoyable, knowledgeable books about Pizza ,I certainly expected a little more?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 10:16:23 PM »
I must have gotten lost on this topic. You all went to Mecca (NY) and you learned a lot, a little, something. If it is not too much trouble, could you please share specifically what you learned. Example: refrigerate the dough 8 hours, 24 hours, three weeks. Use ADY, IDY, baker's yeast, bakers chocolate. Something please.

You paid your money, looked lovingly (apparently) at the presenters. Now we are looking for something we can use for pizzamaking. Something to show from the show. Expose the details from the exposition soon. I have the oven preheated.

thank you

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 08:52:24 AM »
IMO You'll learn more from this website in one day than you'll get from three days at the NY Pizza show !
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market