Author Topic: Super simple 1-2-3 / super cracker recipe  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
Super simple 1-2-3 / super cracker recipe
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:14:42 AM »
My last recipe posted here I was much surprised to find everyone who tried it failed. They just couldn't do it.

So, a year later and I have really worked to simplify and make it 'fool proof'. If you want super simple with really great results I  encourage anyone to try this method.

I call it the 1-2-3 method. (This way you remember the formula.)
1 cup of liquid (1/2 water 1/2 milk) makes 2 pizza doughs when mixed with 3 cups of flour (all purpose)  Easy breezy.

* Take 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup milk and warm it like a babies bottle. Tepid to the touch.
* add 1/2 tsp of SAF yeast (from breadtopia) stir until dissolved and let sit 10 minutes
* In a bowl mix water/milk with 1 cup of all purpose flour. Mix BY HAND with a regular wisk.
* add 1 tsp of salt
* add 2nd cup of flour and mix in well. (should now be like thick pancake batter)
* Using a Danish whisk (Breadtopia) mix the 3rd cup of flour and mix thoroughly. You can even use your hands now if you want. Don't over mix and don't knead the dough.
* Form dough into a ball and cover bowl with Saran wrap.

That's it. From beginning to end should be less than 5 minute total time spent.

I mix at 9 pm at night. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 18 hours. (3 pm the next day) Dough will have risen and be moist and bubbly. Pour out dough on a well floured surface. Sprinkle the moist dough with flour so you can gently shape it elongated and cut it into two pieces with a knife. Keeping it well floured shape them into two separate dough balls. Do NOT knead and handle the dough gently. Less is better.
Cover the two doughs with a warm moist towel for an additional 2 hours.

6 pm... go time.

Oven is 485 for an hours time. Pizza stone is set at second to last rack near the bottom of the oven.  (I use a Fibrement stone)

Take a dough ball on a well floured surface and with your hand begin to press out the dough into a round shape adding flour at all times. Keep flipping the dough so both sides get floured. Once dough is around 8 to 10" in diameter time to use the roller. Never let the dough stick! Keep well floured on both sides as you roll it out. It will roll roll out very easily to a 16" pie. Flour will have been incorporated into the dough and should feel like leather to the touch and about the same thickness. (not sticky at all)

Place dough gently on a perforated pizza pan (one with holes in it) Dry. NO oil, NO non-stick spray.
Moving quickly, (don't let dough sit very long on the pan. Get it in the oven asap)....Add all toppings and place the pan on an open rack 3/4 of the way near the top of the oven and allow to cook almost half way through. Then slide the pie off the pizza pan directly onto the stone for the second half and the final crisp. Note: if pie sticks at all when sliding onto the stone use a spatula to free it up. (next make the dough drier with more flour so it doesn't stick.)

Also do NOT pre-bake the dough. (Comes out too dry and loses flavor.)

I use tongs to grab and slide finished pizza back on perforated pan. Cut immediately into slices and slide the pie onto a pizza screen elevated so it can get air under it. This is VERY important as the hot pizza left laying in the pan will steam itself and become soggy. Serve hot to table on the screen.

A slice of pizza should be able to be held straight out without sagging.

A word of caution: most people make this whole thing WAY more difficult than it has to be. They have a tendency to over do everything and over mix and over handle the dough. Some will insist on using machines to mix and measure. It is NOT necessary. Follow these directions as written and you will have a wonderful crust. I've made hundreds of them so I know it works well.

Good luck!

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Super simple 1-2-3 / super cracker recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:12:52 AM »
Here is a video by Mark Bittman of the NY Times showing a recipe for bread by Jim Leahey from Sullivan street bakery in hells kitchen in Manhattan.

Watch the video and see how fast and easy it is to make the dough. "So easy a six year old can make it" This is a very high hydration dough made with all purpose flour. The bread is excellent and I make it frequently.

I have made pizza dough from this recipe which calls for 3 cups of flour with 1 1/2 cups of water. Makes great bread but the pizza dough was a bit too moist. Using the 3 cups of flour I reduced my liquid down to 1 cup. I have experimented with even lower hydration but for my likes I thought it was too dry and crackery. My recipe also adds slightly more flour later in the process when rolling out the dough. The dough is relaxed and rolls out very easily.

No tricks...it really is this easy. I am surprised to see how many people find a cracker crust dough to be difficult.

Watch this video...

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
Papageorgio,

Do u have any pics to share of this delicious looking recipe?
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »

pizzapan