Author Topic: Is this the right stuff - quarry red clay  (Read 1448 times)

buceriasdon

Re: Is this the right stuff - quarry red clay
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
That link is to grout, the filler used in between tiles to fill the gap. It has no other purpose than that. Cannot be baked on.
Don

Offline coffee_cup

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
Oh thanks, I didn't notice it was for the grout.  Trying to find the tiles to order online for pickup at my local store.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202653720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=quarry+tile&storeId=10051
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:42:20 AM by coffee_cup »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »
Oh thanks, I didn't notice it was for the grout.  Trying to find the tiles to order online for pickup at my local store.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202653720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=quarry+tile&storeId=10051

What I used I used in the oven I could get to go to 950F were something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/building-materials-heating-venting-cooling-hvac-parts-accessories/6-pack-firebrick-154421.html

My home depot didn't have them, so I just called a local brickyard and they did. It was nice because he also cut them for me so I could make a square that would fit on the oven rack.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Total newb here, but from some of the threads I've read so far, it seemed as if the consensus was that the firebrick was not ideal for the typical 500 degree oven, while quarry tile (similar to the second link coffee_cup posted) would be the optimal choice.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »
Actually, Andrew, for the 500 degree oven (with a broiler), the optimal choice would be the most conductive material possible- either steel plate or the relatively untested silicon carbide.

Quarry tiles are only for people who are baking longer baked styles such as Chicago thin crust or cracker, or for those willing to mod their oven to temps above 700.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
Actually, Andrew, for the 500 degree oven (with a broiler), the optimal choice would be the most conductive material possible- either steel plate or the relatively untested silicon carbide.

Quarry tiles are only for people who are baking longer baked styles such as Chicago thin crust or cracker, or for those willing to mod their oven to temps above 700.

Gotchya! When you say with a broiler are you referring to the top broiler, bottom broiler, or either? 

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:36:27 PM »
Get food grade materials.  No reason to cheap out.  Your time alone is worth more than your equipment.

Offline Malanga

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
Any recommendations Garvey?  I was looking at possibly getting a Fibrament.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »
Fibrament is good because it can be cut to size (my buddy got a Fibrament as a replacement stone for his old Blodgett pizza oven).  There are also cordierite kiln shelves that are food grade, but I haven't used those.  Either of these options will be well under $100.  All things considered, that is cheap.  No need to go with Chinese or Mexican tiles that may or may not contain lead, cadmium, etc., etc., just to save a few bucks.