Author Topic: Whipped, Spiked Ricotta  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Whipped, Spiked Ricotta
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »
I've been making Ricotta since Craig's thread:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17276.0.html

While Ina Garten offers a nice product, I found it unfinished, so experimentation ensued.

I looked around and found the smitten kitchen's recipe:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/06/rich-homemade-ricotta/

After a few trials, I settled in with

8 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons white vinegar

This recipe only heats up the dairy to 190F and drains for a shorter time, yielding a creamier, smoother product.
Granted, there is more water in the final product, but it was really good. I felt more experimentation was needed.

Next up, something new...When the dairy hit 180F, I sprinkled in 2oz (by weight) of finely grated parmigiano reggiano. When It hit 190F, I drained it, but it was rather dry because of the parm, so I tossed it in the KA with a wire whip and slowly added more heavy cream.

The result? Whipped, spiked ricotta that will amaze you. Seriously. The texture, flavor, and meltability is out of this world.
A dollop on a slice of pizza silences people. It is revelatory. Mercy.

Experimentation ensued.

8 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of one lemon

I let the dairy get up to 190, added lemon juice and zest. Drain and serve. On an asparagus pizza...WOW. Seriously

Add sugar and whip with some cream...Wow2X! Dessert.

Continued experimentation to ensue.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Whipped, Spiked Ricotta
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
Oh my goodness...  :)

Genius - pure genius.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
Oh, I've been eying that smittenkitchen post since it appeared, debating whether it was really worth making it.  I think you just pushed me over the edge.  Definitely putting this on my list for the next time I'm making pizza.  Thanks!

Sidenote:  it kind of reminds me of the imported butter I found once, that is made with the leftovers from making Parmesano Reggiano.  It was an amazing butter and I've never found it locally again.  I wish I could... 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
Oh, I've been eying that smittenkitchen post since it appeared, debating whether it was really worth making it.  I think you just pushed me over the edge.  Definitely putting this on my list for the next time I'm making pizza.  Thanks!

Sidenote:  it kind of reminds me of the imported butter I found once, that is made with the leftovers from making Parmesano Reggiano.  It was an amazing butter and I've never found it locally again.  I wish I could... 

I think the feed a lot of the leftovers to the pig that become Prosciutto di Parma.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »
I hope somebody makes this stuff, so they can experience it.

I've been making Sicilian pizzas all winter and spring, and a dollop of this ricotta on top of almost any slice is a game changer.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:41:12 PM »
Thank you do much for posting this. I can't wait to try it.

John

Offline Tman1

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:50:18 AM »
Big win for me:

Garlic Herbed Ricotta

6 cups whole milk
2 cups whipping cream
2 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
italian seasoning

Bring milk, salt & cream to a boil, stirring constantly. Midway through I added 3 freshly minced garlic cloves. Add vinegar and turn off heat. Let sit for about a minute. Transfer to strainer lined with 2 fully soaked paper towels for 25 minutes. Transfer to bowl and mix in italian seasoning (I probably used a tbsp?).
Yield was around 3 cups.

I used this as the base for a pizza with cooked shrimp, finely chopped red onions, & fontina cheese to top it off. Tasty!

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
Another option is this recipe that appeared in the NY Times this week. She also suggests ways to use the whey instead of throwing it away.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/how-to-make-fresh-ricotta/

pat

pizzapan