Author Topic: April 2012 Monthly Challenge: "I'm Cured!"  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
April 2012 Monthly Challenge: "I'm Cured!"
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:29 AM »
Cured meats.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

Re: April 2012 Monthly Challenge: "I'm Cured!"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »

Oh Boy...

Time to Create Cures, some Charcuterie, Salumi, i.e., Guaniciale, Pancetta, Peperone, Lardons, etc...And the challenge to create the pizza to highlight the small batch cure!...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

parallei

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:13:58 PM »
Hard to tell, but this shameless rip-off of dellavecchia's  "hot dog" pie has mozz, sharp provolone, hot dog, bacon (to meet the cured requirement), sautéed onion, and sweet pickle relish. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
Nice Paul. Clever addition of bacon. That HAD to be good!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »
Thanks Craig.....urp. :-[

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
I have been working with my butcher at my food coop to produce some quality charcuterie–mostly b/c the stuff I get in KS is over priced and tastes bland. This pie was topped with the first guanciale we produced. This pizza was originally intended to be a pizza all'amatriciana but I had some Brussels sprouts and decided to throw them on as well. The sauce was made with crushed tomatoes, a splash of Negroamaro, some red onion (sorry if I am offending any purists) and topped on the pie uncooked before baking. The pie was finished some grated Pecorino Toscano out of the oven.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:32:09 PM by JimmyG »
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
Jimmy - looks great and sounds even better! I love they way you incorporate wine and liquor onto your pies. I always drink it before I get a chance to put it in a pies, but it sounds really great when you do it!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Thanks Craig.
I love they way you incorporate wine and liquor onto your pies. I always drink it before I get a chance to put it in a pies...
The only reason that doesn't happen to me more, is that I often buy in bulk. ;D Although it appears that you have a nice collection of othercellos that could make a fine addition to a dessert pie or perhaps a savory pie.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

parallei

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
A very handsome pie Jim. :chef:

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 04:36:22 PM »
Thanks Paul :)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
I cured a wild salmon filet this week so I decided to use it for my entry:

Crust: American style sourdough (Austrian starter culture, 2 day room temp ferment/proof)
Toppings:
 - cured salmon slices
 - red onion
 - capers
 - tomato slices
 - Mexican cream
 - chopped fresh dill

I've often seen cured or smoked salmon on pizzas and in other cooked dishes such as pasta and eggs. Cooking destroys the silky texture IMO, so the only way this entry was going to work for me would be to lay on the salmon slices after baking the crust (like I do with prosciutto, serrano ham, bresaola, etc.) I also decided the other toppings would be better uncooked. The crust went into the oven with only some olive oil drizzled on top. When the crust started puffing up, I place a heavy metal disk on it, just leaving the rim of the crust exposed. After a few minutes I removed the disk. When the crust was done and removed from the oven, the toppings were applied. The salmon was warm, but not cooked.

It was better than I thought it would be, but the decision was unanimous that I should go back to our traditional treatment: cold smoke the cured salmon and serve it with fresh-baked sourdough bagels with all the fixings.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
Love it Bill! This may have been asked/explained before, but what smoker do you use - is it a special one for small applications like this, or is it a standard smoker?

John

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
Love it Bill! This may have been asked/explained before, but what smoker do you use - is it a special one for small applications like this, or is it a standard smoker?

John
Thanks, John. My smoker was built for me by David Klose of Houston. It is based on his "Backyard Chef" model with a some custom mods. When cold smoking, I build a small fire in the firebox and place the salmon in the chamber furthest from the fire, with the door open enough to keep the temperature below 100F. I've had this smoker for close to 15 years. (Managing a fire in a BBQ pit is FAR more difficult than in a WFO.)   

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:38 AM »
Hey, we have a David Klose smoker too!  Had it custom made for hubby about 7-8 years ago - ours is also a modified BC.  Cost almost as much to ship it from Texas to West Coast of California as we paid for it  :-D  Best smoker you can buy, we think.  Hubby's pretty well known for his smoked salmon, ribs and shoulder. 

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »

I am now curing some pork shoulder with garlic, thyme, peppercorns, salt, brown sugar and nitrites...will hot smoke tomorrow and make pizza next week...Small Batch Cottage Bacon and Garlic Confit on a Margherita...Will take photos and post...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

parallei

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 11:21:29 PM »
S.O.S. Pizza
(a contrarian pie)

Dried beef. Like the man said: "It's like bresaola, but doesn't taste as good."  Now why didn't they think to use a bit of nutmeg and white pepper when I was in the Army?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 07:37:06 AM »
S.O.S. Pizza
(a contrarian pie)

Dried beef. Like the man said: "It's like bresaola, but doesn't taste as good."  Now why didn't they think to use a bit of nutmeg and white pepper when I was in the Army?

Paul,

I love S.O.S.  Never thought to try dried beef on a pizza.  Great job, yours looks really good!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »
At first, I thought I was looking at pictures out of a fine French cookbook. Beautiful Paul.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »

Please tell me how to post pictures...The 128K limit is much lower than my pictures of 700-900K. I have cured meats and would like to share with all...

Thanks, RJelli :chef:

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:36 AM »
Please tell me how to post pictures...The 128K limit is much lower than my pictures of 700-900K.

What photo editing software do you have?