Author Topic: April 2012 Monthly Challenge: "I'm Cured!"  (Read 4611 times)

buceriasdon

Re: April 2012 Monthly Challenge: "I'm Cured!"
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »
I posted a link to your other message for a free photo editor but I would also recommend you change the size setting on your camera.
Don

Please tell me how to post pictures...The 128K limit is much lower than my pictures of 700-900K. I have cured meats and would like to share with all...

Thanks, RJelli :chef:

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »
I am Cured, You all....

I made two charcuteries...Pork Shoulder and Hot Italian Sausage...

The Shoulder was made from the neck cut, cured with salt, brown sugar, garlic, thyme, peppercorns and nitrites (Cured 1/2 day per pound of meat)---Hickory Smoked at 220F to an internal of 150F...

The Sausage was made from Boston Butt, one time chili grind, salt, black pepper, fennel, anise, cayenne pepper, pepper flakes and garlic salt---Hand mixed to a primary bind, cured at room temp for 24 hours, stuffed or pattied...

I made two pizzas...

11.7% Protein Flour 69F
67+% Hydration w/Bottled Water (approximate--liquid vinegar addition) 69F
0.5% ADY
2.8% Kosher Salt
2t White Vinegar 69F--1t per dough ball...(Cheater's Levain)

I hydrated the ADY in one small bowl, hydrated the Salt in another, and hydrated the Vinegar in another with a T of water in each...

In KA mixer, added 70% of the Flour, rest of the water, mixed, then ADY, mixed, then Salt, mixed, then Vinegar mixed...Autolyse for 20min...Then added rest of flour until just combined...Hand kneaded until the Point of Pasta...Kept dough temp below 78F (Minimal Mixing)...

Bulk rise at 90F for 1hr...Made 255g balls by squeezing off and stuffing the umbilical underneath(To minimize CO2 loss)...Ball rise at 37F 6hr...Final rise at 69F 2hr...Carefully opened (To minimize CO2 loss), topped, and stretched on peel before placing in oven...

Tomatoes consist of canned crushed tomatoes, mashed anchovies, salt, sugar, fresh torn basil and black pepper...Melded for 6hr at room temp...

Fior Di Latte (Hand Torn) used at Prebake and Midbake...

Sauce Picasso-ed on top of Fior Di Latte...EEOV, Kosher Salt added Prebake...

Fresh Torn Basil Prebake, Midbake and Postbake...

Pizza One---Margherita-Style + Thinly sliced Cured Shoulder (Midbake)...

Pizza Two---Margherita-Style + Pre-Sauteed (Maillard Reaction important for flavor) 3/4t size dollops of Sausage (Midbake)...  

Oven preheated to 550F Conv for 1 hour...Top Stone placed under Gas Broiler...Bottom stone placed on bottom rack...

Pizza under broiler for approximately 2 min (cornicione and char)(Turn as necessary)...Meat, Additional Fior Di Latte and Torn Basil added...Finished on bottom stone for 3 minutes...

Cut with Chinese Chefs Knife to eliminate topping drag...

Unable to Leopard because of lower temperatures---Nearlypolatan---Wishing for WFO...

Pizzas turned out fantastic...All served with housemade Limoncello!

I have cooked pizzas for a long time, but only in the last year have I refined my methods because of this web site...Omid, Craig, Chau, Norma, as well as others, thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise...Please provide feedback on the process and the attached pictures...Our best pizza is the one we make in the future...

Pictures to follow...In two groups...

In appreciation,
RJelli :chef:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:43:52 PM by randyjohnsonhve »
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »

Here are some pictures...

"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Here are some more pictures...Unable to send all pictures because of size...A learning process for me...Sorry

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:47:38 PM by randyjohnsonhve »

parallei

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
Those meats and pies would cure what ails me!   Nice work Randy.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
Randy,
Beautiful looking pies. That cured pork shoulder looks killer, especially on that pie. Wished you lived closer to me, b/c I would be all over those pizzas. Great job.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline pizzajosh

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
I am a little behind on this but here is my entry for April that I made last weekend.

I used the basic Tom Lehmann's New York style from the pizza recipes when you first come in the site.  I haven't played around much with the dough as I have just recently tried making New York style.

For the sauce on this one I used 50% Classico Romano Asiago Alfredo sauce 50% ground tomatoes w/ garlic & oregano.

For the cheese I used some smoked provolone, smoked gouda and fresh mozzarella.

The toppings were diced roast chicken breast, applewood smoked bacon, prossciutto wrapped water chestnuts and sliced tomato. The water chestnuts gave it a nice little crisp. It was really good but pretty rich. It would have been better with just the tomato sauce. But none of it went in the garbage.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »
Randy,
Beautiful looking pies. That cured pork shoulder looks killer, especially on that pie. Wished you lived closer to me, b/c I would be all over those pizzas. Great job.

Those meats and pies would cure what ails me!   Nice work Randy.

Thanks for the Feedback, Have a Super Day!