Author Topic: Wood Question for Ceramic Grill  (Read 704 times)

Offline tscaife

Wood Question for Ceramic Grill
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
I have a big green egg and have been baking neapolitan style pizzas on it with decent results for the last few months. I am thinking of experimenting with using wood as fuel. I currently use lump charcoal and the hottest stone temp I have achieved to date was 860*. I am hoping the addition of wood may help get me past the 900* mark.

I am wondering if anyone has experience using any other types of hardwood in WFO's. I currently have chunks of hickory, apple and cherry that I use for BBQ and thought this would be a decent place to start. If these woods are not worth using for any reason I will be interested to hear about others experiences.

I was doing some research on this and came across this article last night - http://www.newser.com/story/89129/police-coffin-wood-fuels-naples-pizza-ovens.html - I guess I can't do worse than this.

I plan to use a mix of about 80% lump and 20% wood chunks to start. I will post results later this week.

Todd

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Wood Question for Ceramic Grill
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
I was doing some research on this and came across this article last night - http://www.newser.com/story/89129/police-coffin-wood-fuels-naples-pizza-ovens.html - I guess I can't do worse than this.

That was unexpected. I'm surprised the grave robbers would risk getting caught over what must be a tiny amount of money.

As for hitting 900F on the deck, can you get enough top heat where it wont hurt more than it will help?

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Do you have the digi q, stoker  or any other fan assist on the BGE?  A computer fan would easily put you past 900.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:45 PM »
I use wood all the time in my BGE.  I've run out of lump before and I've used just pecan wood.  Your gasket gets a little crispy doing this though.. be forewarned!  But it works.

Agree with jet... but if you don't have a BBQ guru or equivalent you can always use a hairdryer which I've done many times to sear a steak.  That one always gets the neighbors attention ;D

Scot

Offline tscaife

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »

As for hitting 900F on the deck, can you get enough top heat where it wont hurt more than it will help?

I don't know. I am going to try and see. The dome of the grill is ceramic and at 800* - 850* deck temp I can get an even bake for 3 - 4 pies.

Do you have the digi q, stoker  or any other fan assist on the BGE?  A computer fan would easily put you past 900.

I have a digi Q and have tried it but, it wasn't effective.

Offline tscaife

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »
I use wood all the time in my BGE.  I've run out of lump before and I've used just pecan wood.  Your gasket gets a little crispy doing this though.. be forewarned!  But it works.

Agree with jet... but if you don't have a BBQ guru or equivalent you can always use a hairdryer which I've done many times to sear a steak.  That one always gets the neighbors attention ;D

Scot

My gaskets are long gone. You don't need them. Do you use your BGE for pizzas?

Thanks for the info on the pecan. Glad to hear that it isn't an issue.

TS

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
My gaskets are long gone. You don't need them. Do you use your BGE for pizzas?

Thanks for the info on the pecan. Glad to hear that it isn't an issue.

TS

Agree...  I haven't had a gasket on mine for years.  I used my BGE for about 4 years making pizza before I took the plunge on a WFO.

Scot

pizzapan