Author Topic: Tampa Pizza: Woodfired Pizza & Pizza Squared: Detroit Style Pizza  (Read 1660 times)

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
A couple of years ago, a friend told me about a new pizza place close to where I work at the University of South Florida, Tampa. Woodfired Pizza & Wine Bar makes a great thin pie with only the best ingredients and I have been a regular for lunch ever since. When I found out that the owner, Peter Taylor, developed his Pizza Raquel recipe right here on this forum with help from many long time posters, I proceeded to read every post in the raquel thread. Now I can make my own version at home (dough recipe tweaked for a regular oven).

Peter is opening a second Woodfired Pizza across the bay in a very nice location in St. Petersburg, so I rarely see him at the Tampa location anymore, and I would honestly say the quality has sagged a bit here.

Now there is another option nearby for me and my pizza loving friends. Pizza Squared: Detroit Style Pizza.

I have been there twice so far and both pizzas were excellent. In contrast to the somewhat upscale sophistication of Peter's place, Pizza Squared has zero atmosphere (it looks like just a take out place with a few tables at the front). The owner has plans for remodeling when the business pick up, but right now it is simply a place to sit and eat a style of pizza unique in the area. I highly recommend it. I also researched this style of pizza and use PizzaHog's recipe with excellent results.

I include a pic from my second visit.

Offline Stevezilla

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza Hates Me!
Re: Tampa Pizza: Woodfired Pizza & Pizza Squared: Detroit Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will be visiting soon and will try these out. I haven't had a Detroit yet, so looking forward to it.

Offline Stevezilla

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza Hates Me!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
You ever see the movie Vacation? My going to Pizza Squared last night was about like that. It involved traffic, road construction, headaches, rain storms, and of course a restaurant location no longer in business.

Apparently the Sourh Tampa location is not in business, despite their website still showing it. In all it took me an incredible 3 hours to get there!

I got a Detroit with just cheese and my wife got a Hawaiian. They were good, but I don't have any other Detroits to compare it to.  The gentleman working was nice. It's too bad that they aren't doing well.

I look forward to checking out Woodfired next. I avoided Woodfired last night as I didn't think my kids would behave long enough to have a sit down meal with them.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the owner of Pizza Squared, Jamie, is a member, albeit inactive, of this forum: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17214.msg167393#msg167393. I think this article confirms that Jamie was behind Pizza Squared:

http://www.tbo.com/list/entertainment-dining/dining-review-get-acquainted-with-detroit-style-pies-at-pizza-squared-20140305/

Not quite four years ago, Jamie sent me a nice PM but at the time he said that he was having a problem with getting consistency with his Detroit style dough even though he was from Michigan, and was familiar with the Detroit style of pizza and also a Buddy's regular, and had the right pans properly seasoned. I told him that I wouldn't be of much help to him for a commercial setting, since I was only a home pizza hobbyist, so I referred him to the Hunt brothers at Via since he wouldn't be a competitor to them so they might have helped him for free or for a small fee. I also gave him a name of a friend who was doing consulting work at the time in case Jamie needed his help.

I hope that things get better with Jamie.

Peter

Offline Stevezilla

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza Hates Me!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »
I went to Woodfired tonight. The kids behaved perfectly and the pizzas were good, so no complaints out of me. I had to get the pizza Raquel because of the thread on this site. My wife had the palombino. I don't know the nuances of wfo pizza to comment, was just trying to experience it and develop a baseline.