Author Topic: Domino's says NO! to finicky customers  (Read 3364 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Domino's says NO! to finicky customers
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
NEW YORK (AP) Domino's is putting its foot down with finicky customers.

The pizza delivery company on Thursday will launch a TV ad campaign that says "No!" to customers who want to add or remove any toppings from its artisan pizzas.

The concept is in line with the Ann Arbor, Mich.-based company's effort to recast itself as a seasoned purveyor of high-quality pizza, with a voiceover in the ad noting that the company spent years "perfecting the balance on our artisan crust toppings."

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/dominos-says-no-in-new-ad-spot/b984123c3f9b4862aedf7fc4631ffac3

(emhpasis added is mine)

It it took "years" to come up with those pies, they might want to consider some changes in the R&D dept. Also, what's up with this trend of telling your customers what they can and can not have on their pie?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Re: Domino's says NO! to finicky customers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:26:28 PM »
Also, what's up with this trend of telling your customers what they can and can not have on their pie?

indeed. and with domino's, especially...  ???
confidence turns to arrogance.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
Brian Spangler of Apizza Scholls has been accused from time to time of being a Pizza Nazi about the rules he imposes on his artisan pizzas: http://rongrandia.blogspot.com/2011/04/life-lessons-from-pizza-nazi.html. Maybe Domino's got wind of Brian.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:17:05 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »
You can have anything you want on your pie of course, but if you order extra artichoke hearts, pineapples and jalapenos I think you should expect your pizza to be a little soggy...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
Just saw this commercial on TV. What a bunch of dolts. Guess what Domino's, customers can say NO too...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:53:25 AM »
Bryan Spangler of Apizza Scholls has been accused from time to time of being a Pizza Nazi about the rules he imposes on his artisan pizzas: http://rongrandia.blogspot.com/2011/04/life-lessons-from-pizza-nazi.html. Maybe Domino's got wind of Bryan.

Peter

He's nothing without his customers.Then he acts like hes doing them a favor? His customers should be allowed to spend their money on toppings they want.In the end its a business.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »
Just saw this commercial on TV. What a bunch of dolts. Guess what Domino's, customers can say NO too...

Agreed...in a Business like this,dont take advantage simply because you make enough money or sales to do so.Instead,offer the customer,that keeps you alive,to order any kind of pizza they want.

;)
-Bill

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 03:33:48 AM »

I think its good marketing.

After all it "has taken years" to perfect these very very special pizzas.

So now you want to try one to see what all the noise is about....

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
The commercial is kind of funny. An easy way around this is just order a pizza and put all the same toppings that are on their specials without the one/s you don't want. The part when they say it took year to perfect them is the best part.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
I hate seen Brian get lumped into this conversation.  He comes across as a truly awesome guy when he posts here, and you can tell how much he cares about his product.  Domino's or a local pizzeria here that does the same thing are a different story.  When you are paying the lowest wage possible to anybody who will show up daily and send your pizza through the oven you lose the right to claim you care too much about the finished product to alter it in my book.
-Jeff

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 04:18:07 PM »
Brian has been a terrific contributor to the forum, including releasing his dough recipe and answering any questions. The Pizza Nazi handle actually came from Brian himself, as noted at http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-3855-you_said_a_mouthful.html.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 04:44:17 PM »
I meant no personal disrespect to Brian.I just felt that kind of Business practice is overkill.Without customers,a business cannot survive.When It comes to food,let customers add whatever they want.In the end,its about pleasing your customers and enjoying a profit.Telling customers you wont allow other toppings because it bothers you is silly.

:)

-Bill

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »
When you understand that this in't about pizza at all,  it is all about marketing, it is actually quite brilliant.

Domino's ( or more accurately) their advertising agency, knows that the foodie, or pizza aficionado is not their target market.
Never has been and never will be, and that is just fine with them.

They compete for their customer's  dollars with Wendy,Micky D, Taco Bell, Papa Johns, etc

What is does do is send a message of affirmation to their actual customer base that by choosing one of these delicious /artisan/gourmet pies they have made a wise decision...no need to even think about modifying  it, because it is already pizza perfection.

Their target customer's are not reading pizza-making, or wondering if their pepperoni made from corn or acorn fed pigs.

Sounds to me like they know their customers , and are giving them what they are looking for...

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
None of this particularly bothers me. At one point, Domino's had an ad that said that there were 75 million possible pizza combinations at Domino's. Someone questioned that number and actually went through the math and concluded that the actual number was really 105 million possible combinations. So, it isn't like someone can't get what he or she wants at Domino's outside of the artisan category. Maybe pizzaboyfan is right and that it is all marketing but there may be practical reasons for limiting the options with the artisan pizzas, such as ingredient inventory control or management or possibly they are testing a second category of pizzas (the artisan pizzas) that they can easily and quickly jettison if it doesn't take hold but can easily expand if it does.

If we look at Brian Spangler's menu at http://apizzascholls.com/Menu/index.html, his restrictions apply to the Build your own Pie category, specifically, "No more than three (3) ingredients per pie, including no more than two (2) meats per pie". As a highly skilled and talented pizza maker, I have to believe that Brian has a reason for those prohibitions. He also offers several House Pies, so it isn't like diners don't have a lot of options. My view is that if someone is offended by Brian's rules, then they don't have to eat there again. From what I can tell, Brian is still packing them in.

Now, if we look at Anthony Mangieri's UPN menu at http://www.unapizza.com/sf/menu.html, the entire pizza menu comprises only six pizzas, and one is only offered on Saturdays. The only items on the menu are pizzas and drinks. There is no "make your own pizza" option, and I believe that apart from a possible allergy exception, diners do not have the option of changing what is on the six pizzas on the menu. If that offends diners, again, they don't have to eat there. From what I have read, Anthony is still packing them in also.

Brian and Anthony have found niches that work well for them without offending their own sensitivities. I think for them their craft is more important than trying to maximize their sales and profits.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
bet you the reason why they do this is that they are pre made and frozen, they pass it off as perfection.  not so much.  -marc

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »
Marc,

The ingredients and Nutrition Facts for the Artisan pizzas can be seen at http://cache.dominos.com/express012900/pdf/artisan-nutritionals-03212012.pdf. You will note that the dough is stated to be hand tossed. The ingredients for the dough used for the Artisan pizzas are the same as used for Domino's regular hand tossed pizza dough (http://cache.dominos.com/express012900/pdf/dominos_nutrition_v2.30.00.pdf). There is a separate "button" on the Domino's website to access the ingredients list and Nutrition Facts for the Artisan pizzas. That sort of thing is often done for temporary offerings or for products under market test.

I called Domino's after they went through their major transformation a while back and was told that the dough used to make their new pizzas was fresh, not frozen. Tom Lehmann subsequently reported that their dough was frozen. He said that he went through a Domino's facility where the dough balls were made. He also based his conclusion on several of the additives and conditioners used to make the Domino's dough.

From the above, I tend not to think that the Artisan pizzas themselves are frozen, as some people have speculated. If that were the case, Domino's would not be able to make substitutions on such pizzas.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
When you understand that this in't about pizza at all,  it is all about marketing, it is actually quite brilliant.

Domino's ( or more accurately) their advertising agency, knows that the foodie, or pizza aficionado is not their target market.
Never has been and never will be, and that is just fine with them.

They compete for their customer's  dollars with Wendy,Micky D, Taco Bell, Papa Johns, etc

What is does do is send a message of affirmation to their actual customer base that by choosing one of these delicious /artisan/gourmet pies they have made a wise decision...no need to even think about modifying  it, because it is already pizza perfection.

Their target customer's are not reading pizza-making, or wondering if their pepperoni made from corn or acorn fed pigs.

Sounds to me like they know their customers , and are giving them what they are looking for...

Yeah the famous old Gourmet label to trick their clueless customers into thinking they are getting something better.I do see your point as to why it would be a marketing tactic.If it makes them more money,then its good business if the customer is satisfied.

I also didnt realize,that some Real Pizza places,may have restrictions of toppings due to excess weight or water/moisture run off.The pie could fall apart or etc.I can see a little more what Peter was saying about how someone may have taken a while to perfect something,and anything added could just ruin it.I wasnt looking at it that way.So I meant no offense to those that have worked hard to achieve perfection for their customers as well.

That said,if I go some places to eat,and I wanted a little something added that is also on the menu,and they refused,I would most likely never go back there again,unless it was excellent food and they had a good reason for saying no.

:)

-Bill

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »
None of this particularly bothers me.

I agree, and I could care less. I just find it a little silly. It took years to develop? Right. Give me a break. If it took years, it's only because they started and then shelved the project for years. I also think it is a little demeaning to their customers. Domino's does not compete in the same segment as Brian and certainly not Anthony. Domino's segment is based on people getting what they want; now Domino's is going to try to alter that paradigm? It's and interesting strategy; do they have the pies to pull it off?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »
It looks like the Domino's Artisan pizza is getting a little play over at the PMQ Think Tank, at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13182 and at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13187.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:16:44 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
[quote
Brian and Anthony have found niches that work well for them without offending their own sensitivities. I think for them their craft is more important than trying to maximize their sales and profits.
Peter
[/quote]

One of the more interesting tidbits of Steve Job's success with developing Apple products was that he never ran a single focus group, nor was there design by committee. He was the committee.
His philosophy was that his customers didn't know what they wanted, until he presented them with a carefully designed, perfectly crafted product.
He never listened to his customers, he just gave them the best product he could produce.
Profits and success will follow.