Author Topic: Norma's at Roots Market  (Read 3762 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Norma's at Roots Market
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Me too! I plan on playing hookie from my pizza gig some Tues. soon and field trip to Roots to taste the First Lady of Flours great looking pies. I am near Altoona Pa so not a long ride. See you and Steve soon Norma. :chef:  (maybe try that home brew too ::) )

franko9752,

Anytime you decide to come is fine.  It would be great to meet you.  Let me know when you decide to come so I can make some special doughs.  If you want you can make the pizzas too.

Look forward to seeing you soon!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
Awesome pizza, great service, and a lovely lady working behind the counter...  You just can't beat that fine combination, for sure!!!   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Offline communist

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »
Yes, I agree.  It is the best pizza in Lancaster County.  Papa Dino's cannot even challenge Norma's!   Mark

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
Awesome pizza, great service, and a lovely lady working behind the counter...  You just can't beat that fine combination, for sure!!!   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Pete,

It also was a pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife!   :)  I enjoyed talking to you.  Steve came not to long after you left and he would have liked to have met you and your wife.

Thanks for your kind words.  :)

Did you purchase much at Root's?

Norma  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:03:18 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
Yes, I agree.  It is the best pizza in Lancaster County.  Papa Dino's cannot even challenge Norma's!   Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your kind comment too!  :) We did have a Papa Dino's pizza today and Steve, my taste testers and I thought it was good.  I had a frozen dough ball, sauce and cheese from Papa's Dino's that we baked.  It was at the end of the day though, so Pete didn't have a chance to taste it.

Norma 

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
Pete,

It also was a pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife!   :)  I enjoyed talking to you.  Steve came not to long after you left and he would have liked to have met you and your wife.

Thanks for your kind words.  :)

Did you purchase much at Root's?

Norma  

Just a couple subs and a big ol' 3lb. bag of Zerbe's dark potato chips for the trip back home.   8)

It was great meeting you, Norma!!!  Ann and I certainly enjoyed talking with you as well!!!  Sorry we missed Steve.  Perhaps we'll catch him the next time we get down there to the market, whenever that may be.  LOL

And yes, your pizza was really, really good!!!  I should've gotten at least two more slices but I didn't want to hold up the line.   ;)  :)  ;D 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:06 AM »
Just a couple subs and a big ol' 3lb. bag of Zerbe's dark potato chips for the trip back home.   8)

It was great meeting you, Norma!!!  Ann and I certainly enjoyed talking with you as well!!!  Sorry we missed Steve.  Perhaps we'll catch him the next time we get down there to the market, whenever that may be.  LOL

And yes, your pizza was really, really good!!!  I should've gotten at least two more slices but I didn't want to hold up the line.   ;)  :)  ;D 

Pete,

You and your wife sure didn’t purchase much.  Where the subs you purchased Raub’s Subs?  I think they started at Root’s in the year 1958 and first opened at Green Dragon Farmer’s Market in 1957.  I haven’t had any of those Zerbe’s chips for a long while.  They sure are good though.  I used to know the man that started Zerbie’s chips, but he has passed away.  Maybe you and Ann will get to meet Steve the next time, whenever that might be. 

I am glad you liked the pizza.  If it wasn’t for this forum, I sure wouldn’t have been able to make the pizza you ate.  I was just “lost in the dark” in knowing how to make pizza dough before I learned here on the forum.   :-D

Maybe if you find the time sometime, you could explain how big Root’s is and what kind of stand holders are at Root’s.  I have posted before about Root’s, but from someone like you, maybe members might understand better what Root’s is like. 

The manager of the market came and talked to me yesterday and is trying to help me with my deck oven vent leak again.  This is the fourth time the vent leaks when it rains.  :(  It has been repaired 3 times already.  The manager also talked to me about some advertising ideas and I am not sure what I want to do about that yet.

I wish I could have talked to you and Ann more.  :)

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »
Pete,

You and your wife sure didn’t purchase much.  Where the subs you purchased Raub’s Subs?  I think they started at Root’s in the year 1958 and first opened at Green Dragon Farmer’s Market in 1957.  I haven’t had any of those Zerbe’s chips for a long while.  They sure are good though.  I used to know the man that started Zerbie’s chips, but he has passed away.  Maybe you and Ann will get to meet Steve the next time, whenever that might be.  

I am glad you liked the pizza.  If it wasn’t for this forum, I sure wouldn’t have been able to make the pizza you ate.  I was just “lost in the dark” in knowing how to make pizza dough before I learned here on the forum.   :-D

Maybe if you find the time sometime, you could explain how big Root’s is and what kind of stand holders are at Root’s.  I have posted before about Root’s, but from someone like you, maybe members might understand better what Root’s is like.  

The manager of the market came and talked to me yesterday and is trying to help me with my deck oven vent leak again.  This is the fourth time the vent leaks when it rains.  :(  It has been repaired 3 times already.  The manager also talked to me about some advertising ideas and I am not sure what I want to do about that yet.

I wish I could have talked to you and Ann more.  :)

Norma

Our trip down was more than a scouting mission than anything else since my lovely wife Ann and I haven't been down there for a couple years.  Plus, I really wanted to meet you and say hello.  We got away with spending less than 25 bucks so it's all good.  LOL   :)

Oh yeah, I'm a huge Zerbe's fan because I absolutely love lard-fried chips and they still don't use any preservatives like just about all the others except maybe Moyer's.  The dark ones are the best especially with just a little bit more salt added to them.  MMMMM!!!  My three-pound bag was filled right out of the big metal can so they were super-fresh as well.

The subs, of course, were Raub's.  Ann has always enjoyed their sandwiches although I think they could slice the meat a little thinner.  I suppose that helps with speed of assembly when they're really busy like they were yesterday.

Hey, this site and the membership which frequents it are a great resource and it really shows in the quality of your pizza.  We could've, would've, should've had more time to gab if you weren't so busy also.  LOL  

Living in and around the land of the plain folk definitely has it's advantages especially when it comes to stuffing our tummies.  I suppose the best description of Root's can be found on their own website but it really is a great place where you can find good stuff and plenty of it.  Here's what the complex looks like from overhead on every day of the week except Tuesday...

http://binged.it/ODBPn7

Good luck with that oven vent repair and the best form of advertising has always been word-of-mouth.  I know I'll be glad to talk you and your pizza up whenever I get the chance!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:48:22 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »
Sorry I missed you Pete! Maybe next time! :D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
Our trip down was more than a scouting mission than anything else since my lovely wife Ann and I haven't been down there for a couple years.  Plus, I really wanted to meet you and say hello.  We got away with spending less than 25 bucks so it's all good.  LOL   :)

Oh yeah, I'm a huge Zerbe's fan because I absolutely love lard-fried chips and they still don't use any preservatives like just about all the others except maybe Moyer's.  The dark ones are the best especially with just a little bit more salt added to them.  MMMMM!!!  My three-pound bag was filled right out of the big metal can so they were super-fresh as well.

The subs, of course, were Raub's.  Ann has always enjoyed their sandwiches although I think they could slice the meat a little thinner.  I suppose that helps with speed of assembly when they're really busy like they were yesterday.

Hey, this site and the membership which frequents it are a great resource and it really shows in the quality of your pizza.  We could've, would've, should've had more time to gab if you weren't so busy also.  LOL  

Living in and around the land of the plain folk definitely has it's advantages especially when it comes to stuffing our tummies.  I suppose the best description of Root's can be found on their own website but it really is a great place where you can find good stuff and plenty of it.  Here's what the complex looks like from overhead on every day of the week except Tuesday...

http://binged.it/ODBPn7

Good luck with that oven vent repair and the best form of advertising has always been word-of-mouth.  I know I'll be glad to talk you and your pizza up whenever I get the chance!!!   ;D

Pete,

Thanks for the link to what Root’s looks like on a non-market day and also for explaining what Root’s is like on a market day.  :D I agree living around plain folks has its advantages.   

I also used to eat a lot of Zerbe’s chips, but try to stay away from chips because I would eat too many, but you are right, they sure are good. 

Besides Raub’s subs, the subs in the back of the market are really good, and they also sell lots of subs.  I don’t know if you ever tried the other subs or not.  The only reason I don’t purchase subs at market is because I can purchase them a lot cheaper at my local Country Store and I think they are even better than at market.  I have know all of the Raub’s for many years.  Did you ever look at the antique slicer Raub’s uses to slice their meats for the subs?

I agree this site and membership are a great resource.  It might become addictive, so you better what out.  :-D

Thanks for the good luck with the vent.  That darn thing has been a source of problems for me.  I might have to rip out my whole stand to get my floor fixed since it rained in so much last year.  I think my floor is rotting under my oven and just hope the oven doesn’t fall on Steve or me some week.   

I know word of mouth is the best form of advertising.  I would love to have a outside mobile unit in the spring, summer and fall.  I know how many customers just frequent the outside stands and never come inside.  I also know there are many customers that have never gotten to see my small pizza stand back where I am located.  I have to talk to the market manager more about his advertising plan.

I sure would have like to talked more with you and your wife.  At least for an old woman like me I still can move fast when I want to.    :-D

Norma