Author Topic: Camaldoli and Ischia question  (Read 1261 times)

Offline dzpiez

Camaldoli and Ischia question
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »
Just a quick question.  I have a starter going using the Tartine way.  Been making bread with it for months now and finally got around to firing up my little 2Stone.  Made a few "Neapolitan-ish" pies using 100% Caputo Pizzeria flour, 62% water, and 4% of the starter.  Ended up pretty good for the first time I ever used a starter.  My question is, I just ordered the Camaldoli and Ischia dried cultures from Sourdo.com and was wondering if the next time I feed my starter if I can add one of the cultures to the extra starter I have going, or would I have to start from scratch?  Any info would be great.

Dave

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Camaldoli and Ischia question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
No, don't add a dry starter to your current starter.  Your two new starters should come with instructions on how to reactivate them from a dry state.  It usually takes me a few days to reactivate a starter from the dry state.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:38:06 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dzpiez

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
thanks, guess I was just lookin' to take a short cut.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
No, don't add a dry starter to your current starter.  Your two new starters should come with instructions on how to reactivate them from a dry state.  It usually takes me a few days to reactivate a starter from the dry state.

Chau - When you activate from dry, as you did with the sample I sent you, do you do it at elevated temps or does the process take off at normal room temperature?

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
John, I do it at elevated temps at around 85f or so, but room temp works fine.  It just takes longer.  Inside the oven with the light on is a good place.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »
John, I do it at elevated temps at around 85f or so, but room temp works fine.  It just takes longer.  Inside the oven with the light on is a good place.

Thank you.

John