Author Topic: Brewhouse deep-dish recipe  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Brewhouse deep-dish recipe
« on: September 10, 2005, 08:27:30 PM »
The "Favorite Beer" topic in Chit-chat got me thinking about using my favorite Beer; Moosehead (Canadian) in pizza.

After a bit of a search I came across these:

Bruno's Beer Drinker's Pizza
http://www.pmq.com/cgi-bin/pizzacookbook/recipe.cgi?action=view_recipe&id=194&recipe=Beer+Drinkers+Pizza&category=Celebrity+Pizza+Chef+Submissions

sauce recipe from Encyclopizza
 http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/08_Sauce/11_sauce_recipe.htm

and an article on Moosehead as the winning secret ingredient and a tart statement about American paranoia  ??? with alcohol and use in Pizza !?!?!?!?!  :o
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/11412

I was definitely set and Motivated!!!!!

I found the Moosehead !!!!

Last night it made the most incredibly pizza (dough and sauce). This will remain our family's favorite! The crust texture and the depth of flavor through-out  the whole pizza literally brought tears to my DH's eyes. Family and guests couldn't stop exclaiming about it, and I think I "Mmm'ed" and "OMG'd" throughtout every bite. I'm still in shock over the results. I've been making pizza for soo long, and make a pretty mean pizza, but this.....this....was a beautiful pizza experience.

I'd love to post the recipes/procedures here amongst fellow pizza affectionatos.  I wish to hear opinions or adaptions that might be made (ie. due to ingredient availability or favorite brand of beer etc.)

I tried the recipe as a Chicago deep dish, and as a mid-thickness flat crust.
With the results I got, it believe it should remain a Chicago-style despite that it's not my favorite style.

Well...at least it wasn't!

PizzaBrewer!
Thanks for the Beer topic, you got  me thinking about Moosehead and pizza!

I sent my step-son 20 minutes into town to pick-up the Moosehead, where he had some difficulty purchasing it since he had his GF with him who was 6 months shy of 21, so they weren't going to sell it to him  ::) He had to return sometime later without her before they'd sell it to him. I was in panic that dinner wouldn't get done until midnight. So I whipped up P.J. thin crust recipe. A fix-it-and eat-it now recipe from the KA pizza recipes http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/category.php/id/C22 as a back-up.

FOR THE DOUGH
Preheat oven to 450 F. Note: My stove regretably is electric.

To make the Beer Drinkers Pizza I doubled all the ingredients. In my hurried state I included the oil meant for the pans  :-[, using approx 8 Tablespoons, alittle over 1/4 cup.  I measured the yeast as 2 Tablespoons, not having time to look-up the equivalent for an envelope of yeast. I have used bulk for soo long, doubled and converted all my recipes to hosehold measure, I had forgetten what is should be.

2 T. Red Star ADY
8 T. Crisco Veg. Oil
2 T. granulated cane sugar
3 T. Crystal fine popcorn salt
Dumped into 6 qt. KA with the "old standard" dough-hook attachment.
Poured in 2 c. Moosehead lager, fresh not Flat beer, warmed in micro. to 115 F.
and set it to stir.
Incorporated 1 cup Gold Medal AP flour, at a time, after 2 cups, increased speed to 2 and continued until I had a firm (firm yet slack ball with a light skin, alittle wet and somewhat tacky) dough. This took approximately 6-7 c. AP flour and I let it whirl/knead for a bit (not more than 2 minutes) on speed 3.

I scraped dough from the hook and bowl onto "lightly" floured surface, and kneaded by hand for just about another minute to get a smoother surface.
Added a Tablespoon of oil to the mixing bowl, replaced the dough, turning to coat. Covered with press'n seal plastic wrap and set aside for the recommended hour. (My stovetop is a separate unit from the oven and is only moderately warm, about the equivalent of the countertop near a oven.)

The dough reached double in less than a half hour, and didn't rise any more despite the 1 hour rise.

Lifted dough from bowl and gave it a good slap onto the work-surface (read somewhere it helps distribute everything) I found the dough to have an unusually firm texture that held finger impressions. It just felt unlike any other doughs I've worked with.

Split dough in half, patted the dough into a nice circle with intentionally uneven thickness, varying from1/8 to almost 1/2 inch thickness. I added  the 2 T. oil to 14 x 1 1/2 inch pan and sprinkled with cornmeal. Continued to press and stretch dough to fit pan with formed a lip. Divided the other half of dough, in-half again, and prepared one as a 9 inch and the other patted out to a 10inch round and made into garlic cheese sticks.

Covered both of the deep dish pizzas with press'n seal and set aside for the 30 minutes. Uncovered, and had to press a new lip on both deep-dish pizzas. I added the sauce (recipe to follow), cheese and toppings, and returned to stovetop, uncovered, for what ended up being about an hour to 1 hr. 30 minutes. (Baking 4 pies)

Baked for 15 minutes.

The 14 inch deep-dish was baked on the top rack (middle of oven) and didn't brown, but baked completely through, no gumminess with a beautiful golden edge.

The 10 inch cheese bread was baked on the same rack on a perforated pizza pan, browned to a nice  consistent light caramel on bottom, with the same beautiful golden edge as the 16 inch.

9 inch deep-dish baked on lower rack, developed the same consistent light caramel color on bottom as the flat 10 inch, and the beautiful golden edge as the other two.

The deep-dish pizzas were removed from the pans within 2 minutes of comming out of the oven and placed on cardboard rounds (pizza boards/cake rounds).

Crust was very tender, somewhat reminiscent of a biscuit crust, but lighter.  The bottom crust maintained a light pleasant crunch, while the lip was tender and crispy with a fairly tight structure.

My DH NEVER eats the outer edge of his pizza, and always refuses when I try to persuade him.
To my astonishment, without a word from me..well expect my "Ooo's and Ahhh's" that came with my first bite, he ate every bit, exclaiming how he never eats the crusts. I don't exaggerate when I say that he enjoyed it so much it brought tears to his eyes. He wants this pizza once a week, every week. And I doubt I will be able to make any other recipe, or face grumbles. Not that I have a pressing desire to make anything else right now, anyway.

THE SAUCE

1/2 can of La Romanella Super Heavy Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes (about 3.5 lbs)
1 T. dried sweet basil
1 T. dried parsley
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder (this was more like granulated garlic than powder)
1 tsp fine salt
1/2 to 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (or to taste)
1-1 1/2 T. dehydrated onion
1 c. Moosehead lager

Add onion to beer and let set until onion had re-hydrated (becomes soft and somewhat translucent.
Combine all the rest of the ingredients, pour in the onion/beer and mix until combined. Add water or more beer until desired consistency. I ended up using the whole 12 oz. The moosehead added a pleasant sweetness, and didn't have the "yeasty" taste that I would expect from beer.

I used this sauce immediately and stored the rest covered in the fridge. When I make this pizza again, the flavors will have had time to meld. Hopefully, the sauce wont develop a fermented flavor from the beer.

I plan to allow myself more time so that I can use more accurate methods to measure, photograph and document my process and findings.

I took only a few pics of the end results this time. I will put these in a separate post. I believe that I need to edit the brightness of the flash so that the golden crust can be seen better.

Give these recipes a try, I'm really interested in hearing others' experiences with it. Maybe help me to more accurately define the dough's texture?

EDIT (2/1/2013): For an alternative Correll link, see http://web.archive.org/web/20040610190934/http://correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/08_Sauce/11_sauce_recipe.htm
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:42:22 PM by Pete-zza »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Brewhouse deep-dish recipe
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 03:55:07 PM »
Here are the pics. Sorry I didn't get a closer pic of the crust crumb. But the crust bottom is shown very well.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.