Author Topic: Kneading Issues - Kitchenaide w/ Dough Hook  (Read 7013 times)

Offline derricktung

Re: Kneading Issues - Kitchenaide w/ Dough Hook
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:01 AM »

It is a very useful technique in bread baking.  I'm not sure how necessary it is for making pizza dough, but I've been doing it with my pizza dough too.  I hope someone can explain If there is a reason why it's not recommended for pizza dough.

From what I"ve read, some members have shyed away from autolysing because they feel like the dough becomes too bread like.  It comes down to personal preference and how you prefer your dough in the end.  I haven't done test on autolysed vs non-autolysed (somethign I should try), but I typically allow for 15 minutes of autolysing with 1/2 the prescribed flour, and then mix in the rest of the flour and go back to the KA dough hook. 

Like TomN, I tend to finish the dough by pulling it out and kneading by hand... while the KA does most of the work, the hand knead really allows you to feel whether the dough is ready to be cold fermented/fermented at all.  There's a definite "feel" to dough that's ready.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
I give the dough a 20 minute rest strictly to let the flour fully absorb the water. I always start with cold water, so the rest period give the dough a chance to hydrate and warm slightly. After the rest the dough is much easier to knead, and as a result, my kneading time is very short, usually only about 2 minutes. I don't call it an autolyze, because the salt and yeast have already been incorporated into my dough.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
dmcavanagh,

I made dough tonight and this time I used the paddle attachment that came with the Kitchen Aid to mix the flour into one large dough ball. Then I used the hook attachment to knead the dough for 10 minutes, as usual.  It worked very well and I only had one bowl to clean this time. Thanks for the tip.

TomN

Offline peetzabone

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »
TomN-  you don't get the ball-climbs-the-hook problem apparently (which was the whole point of the original thread).  Do you know why? What model mixer do you use? Do you have a "C" hook or a "Spiral" hook?

Offline Pepperoni

• burning em up here boss
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:19 PM »
Hi does anybody know if you can use one of those spiral dough hooks from a newer large KA on an old style smaller KA? I see them on eBay for $15/20 .

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
TomN-  you don't get the ball-climbs-the-hook problem apparently (which was the whole point of the original thread).  Do you know why? What model mixer do you use? Do you have a "C" hook or a "Spiral" hook?

I have the Spiral hook and it is a Kitchen Aid Professional HD that I purchased at Costco. I don't have the ball climb issue. However, If you look at my "using beer instead of water" thread, you can see that I use 60 percent beer in my dough making process. Not sure if that is why I do not experience the climbing issue or not? I love using the hook. I will not go back to doing it by hand unless my Kitchen Aid breaks.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.480.html

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.440.html

(Check the photo on the second link. Is that considered the spiral hook?)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:55:04 PM by TomN »

pizzapan