Author Topic: Leoparding  (Read 4134 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Leoparding
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »
'all directions' would presumably be below, above and side-on heat.  The side on factor is what interests me.

Can anybody point to examples of leoparding on a pizza cooked in a electric or gas oven?

I suspect there are none - even with ovens run at very high temperatures.

Yes, all directions including the bottom, but for leoparding, a balanced high heat from the top and ALL sides is what really matters.

Notwithstanding, it can be done in a home oven with a broiler. Here are some fine examples baked in home ovens:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10024.0.html
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11654.0.html

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jamieg

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 12:33:45 AM »
wow. I'm was completely wrong.

Incredible pizzas.

Thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »
Another thing I noticed looking at some pictures - too much bench flour of the top of the skin might supress leoparding.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
Hey Jamie,

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a 2stone oven. Check out the 2stone pics thread.

RKP
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline jamieg

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 12:36:49 AM »
A few months have past and so I thought I'd update this post - once again - I would appreciate any feedback - on the topic of leoparding in relation to different types of ovens.

See attached pics for my latest pizzas.

I've scrapped using wholemeal flour.  It's not a smart move if you want puffed up, light, crispy borders.

I've tweaked my recipe and methodology such that every pizza now has well-risen borders and at least a fair amount of leoparding - sometimes the leoparding goes completely off the scale.

I'm still using my small home-made clay oven which gets very hot - though I don't really know how hot - and has a fair amount of sideways heat - both because the gas flame is literally to one side of the pizza - and the clay walls radiate the heat very well throughout the oven.

However, I've just tested my dough in the gas oven I intend to buy - which has separate temperature controls for the floor and ceiling - both reaching 500c.  Unfortunately, yet again - while the base cooked well - and the cheese and tomato - the borders remained colourless and not fully cooked. In other words - it didn't work at all.

Whilst there are many factors - my latest trials lead me back to the conclusion that - leoparding cannot be achieved without a WFO OR without an oven that provides 'heat in all directions'.

It looks as though I have 2 options:
1) buy the new oven and attempt a different style of pizza
2) take the plunge with a WFO

Please jump in - if you have any advise or can explain how I may be jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks,

j