Author Topic: Quality ingredients -- what makes QUALITY?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
Quality ingredients -- what makes QUALITY?
« on: September 11, 2005, 09:02:30 PM »
This specifically starts with cheese.  It's becoming obvious that the hard-core guys don't believe that "cheese is cheese".  Grande comes up a LOT.  So, having never had Grande, what is so flipping awesome about it?  Don't get me wrong, I know some cheese brands are better than others, but in the big scheme of things, I'm not sure I've ever found a "real" cheese I didn't like.  Fake is fake, real is real.  Past that, you've got part-skim, whole milk, etc.  But what makes Grande cheese so good, in your opinion?  Is it the taste, the physical characteristics, or what?

Should the time come for me to open my own place, I know a dough sheeter will be my method.  I like thicker dough and as such, a sheeter is required to get it sheeted out.  I may very well sheet smaller than finished size and hand-toss some of the diameter, but the first step will be a sheeter. 

Then there's the toppings... I struggle with this.  One man's great topping is another man's trash, especially when it comes to pepperoni.  Some folks want oily, cupped, and crispy, and others believe it should be as non-greasy, flat, and soft as possible.  Some folks like sausage (sorta) crumbles, others want REAL sausage. 

Sauce isn't a mystery to me so I'm okay on "getting it" with sauce.  But even crusts are open for interpretation.  I'd love to be able to duplicate Pizza Hut's thin and crispy crust.  It's a good crust, IMHO.  To others, it's pure crap.  Since you rely on fermenting for the actual flavor of the crust, most crust has little "real" flavor.  There are certainly varying degrees of bland, but I feel most bread is bland.  Sauce should "burst" with flavor, the toppings should as well.  But how do you get a crust to "burst" with flavor?  My breadsticks are quite acceptable as are the sub rolls that come from my dough (I can call it mine--- it's Lehman's, but don't tell).  Or is crust more about texture than vibrant flavors? 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Quality ingredients -- what makes QUALITY?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 11:00:09 PM »
But how do you get a crust to "burst" with flavor?.  Or is crust more about texture than vibrant flavors? 

I think crust is about texture and flavor, but for a successful commercial operation, you may have to be more concerned with what is popular in your area. I think the flavor from Marco's Camaldoli natural starter and the texture from high-hydrated Caputo 00 baked at high temp is about as good as you can get, but I'm a Neapolitan-style pizza-head, so don't listen to me, especially if your ideal is Pizza Hut.

Regarding most of your questions, you can cater to the local preference which is the safe thing to do, or you can shoot for the stars using your own tastes and passion to guide you. Chris Bianco, whose journey to fame and fortune was long and difficult, is the kind of guy I'd use as my role model.

Bill/SFNM

piroshok

Re: Quality ingredients -- what makes QUALITY?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 07:25:35 AM »
Not everyone in Italy. USA, Australia, or Argentina get the best ingredients
However most of them are ale to make something good
So I say it is the makers that make the difference
One has to learn how to be creative and cook up a storm with average ingredients
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 07:58:32 AM by piroshok »