Author Topic: Millar Stainless Steel Pizza Oven  (Read 17255 times)

Online TXCraig1

Re: Millar Stainless Steel Pizza Oven
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »
Great feedback, both of you.  Much appreciated.

I made another pizza later in the evening with a dough that had fermented longer (it was left over, had been frozen and brought back to life over a couple of days) and the leoparding was better ... though it didn't taste any better.  Craig, I will try your suggestions.  By the way, the pizza was about 12-inch diameter and to be more precise, the dough balls were generally 12.7 to 12.8 ounces.  I keep forgetting that imprecise measures aren't best to use on this board  :D

Can either of you give me a link to a recipe on this forum for making great VPN dough with bread flour or something other than 00 flour ... that is, something cheaper and more readily accessible?

Bo

That is a lot of dough. Proportionately, and taking into account the cornice and base thickness, that's probably on the order of 30-45% more dough than you would typically see in a similarly sized NP.  Not that such is wrong or bad if that is what you like, but I think with more fermentation, you are going to see a very big increase in your cornice.

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline BoTrojan

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Craig, do you have a favorite recipe for me (maybe a link to one here within the forum) ... and, as I said before ... one that uses more readily available flour than 00 or the like? 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
Craig, do you have a favorite recipe for me (maybe a link to one here within the forum) ... and, as I said before ... one that uses more readily available flour than 00 or the like?

I think you want to target 24 hour fermentation. I don't have a lot of experience with regular yeast, so you may need to experiment and tweak this some, but here is where I would start. Maybe someone else will comment if they can help fine tune this.

100% King Arthur AP flour (KAAP)
63% Ice cold water
2.5% salt
0.04% ADY or 0.03% IDY.

Dissolve the salt in the water (if using ADY, keep some out to warm and dissolve the yeast per the normal process) then add 3/4 of the flour and the IDY or dissolved ADY and mix well. Add the rest of the flour in large spoonfuls over the next 5 minutes or so mixing//kneading the whole time. When everything is incorporated, mix for a few more minutes until it's basically smooth. The dough will be ~75F or so when you take it out of the mixer. Let it rest on the counter for 15 minutes. Give it 5-6 stretch and folds until it gets firm and resists your stretching. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes then repeat the stretch and folds. Do this one or two more times until your dough is very smooth. Let it rest (covered with plastic) in bulk for 1.5 - 2 hours at 60-70F (depending on how long it took you to get it smooth) then ball and let ferment (covered with plastic) for 24 hours @ ~65F. You don't want to touch the balls again until you are ready to use them.

For the last 8 hours, keep an eye on it. Until you get the yeast and temperatures fine tuned, you might have to make adjustments to get ready on time. You might need to put it in the fridge or oven at ~95F for 30 minute intervals to slow things down or speed them up. You'll learn what it should look like when it's ready with experience, but to start, look for about 2X rise. A little more would be better than less.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ali72289

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2014, 12:05:22 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the new f5? It seems to have fixed some of the design issues of the previous models and the price isn't bad at all.