Author Topic: Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana In Pasadena, CA  (Read 1687 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana In Pasadena, CA
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
Been on a quest for wood fire pizza for a long time now.  These are getting more popular around Southern California so we have more to choose from than ever before.  I had this idea in my head that wood fired pizza was better than a gas over pizza so I quested to find all the wood fired pizzas I can in the area.

First off I want to say that Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana is excellent.  I have had wood fire pizza before but never Naples style pizza.   They did an excellent job.  I can't really compare Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana to other Naples style pizza since I have not had any before but on it's own it does great.  From reviews I read and from pictures of different Naples style of pizza I gather that this Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana is the real deal and maybe as good as it gets in Southern California.

With that said I think that I prefer NY Style Pie better than Naples style.  Also I don't think that a wood fire oven is the end all.  For what it is it's great.  But I'm happy with an NY Style Pie from Luigi in San Diego, Mama's Brick Oven in Pasadena, or from King of NY Pizza in Hollywood.   

This is not a knock against Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana, they do a great job but you know some people like Chicago Deep Dish and some like NY Pizza and some like Naples style.   I think definately I prefer NY Style Pie.

Would I go to Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana again?  Definitely without a doubt.  When I have a feeling for Naples style I will go there but I see myself going to Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana.   In the area there are a couple of other wood fire pizza places I know of.  One I have been to and one I have not.  Both might be wood fire but they are not Naples style.  Honestly I don't think as I mentioned before wood fired is necessary.  Too many good NY Style pie places that bake in a gas oven that taste tremendous. 

Oh the oven there I think is about 1100 degrees F.   It looked like coal burning in the oven but the guy said it was wood so I figured it was just wood that was well charred and burning hot. 

What rating do I give them out of 10?  10 out of 10. Why so high if I prefer NY Style Pie?  Well because just because I prefer NY Style that does not mean that the pizza at Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana is not good.  It's great but as mentioned I don't think Naples style is my favorite but I will go again in about a few weeks but in the mean time I'll be off to trying NY Style else where.  Be nice if they offered an NY Style Pie also but maybe that would change the restaurant too much and they need to stick to the Naples theme.  I'll be back for a Pizza Margheritas.

One last thing I think it's great that they are in business because it's not easy to find a Naples style pizza around.  More wood fire places are popping up here and there but not all are Naples style so I have to give a two thumbs up to the owner who opened this place up.  Also the place was packed so you know what that's a testament to the quality of this place.  Yes it's a quality pizza you have to try it if you have the chance to.  Also the price is reasonable and the service is excellent.  Next time I'll set on the ledge instead of a table so I can watch them dress the pie and bake it and time it.  I'll get a kick out of that.

By the way here is the website.  I don't get why they don't why they only list the Las Vegas menu and not the Pasadena or other menus.  Maybe they are the same exact menu but they should not state LV menu if that is the case or if it's diff then they should have all the menus listed.  Also no photos of the Pasadena location as well. 

http://settebello.net/

James

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana In Pasadena, CA
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:57:43 PM »
Nice write up James.  Next time you go, if you remember the camera, can you snap a few pics of the pies witha few crumb shots?

Thank you.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Nice write up James.  Next time you go, if you remember the camera, can you snap a few pics of the pies witha few crumb shots?

Thank you.

Oh yeah good point about the camera.  I actually was sitting there eating the pizza and had that "ooops" moment where I was thinking, "ooops, forgot the camera!".  Will bring a camera next time for sure!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
Not to worry, folks!  Ate at Settebello in Pasadena last night armed with my iPhone.  Had a nice conversation with Brad, the owner, who used to be on the forum a lot.  The place is beautiful, a little larger and trendier than the Henderson location.  Started with a sampler appetizer of assorted meats, cheeses, vegetables, and some toasted pine nuts.  I had a Margherita with sausage, and my friend had the Settebello, topped with sausage, mushrooms, pancetta, and a couple of other items that escape me now.  Martinis were great, and for desert I had the Tiramisu (one of the best I've tasted), while my friend had something called the Bomba.  The place was pretty packed.  The service was very good.  The pizza was terrific.  I'm more of a coal-oven than Neapolitan guy, but taken on it's own terms, it could be the best wood-fired pie I've ever had. (I have yet to get to Bianco in Phoenix though.)  If you're in town, it's a winner.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:15:59 PM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
And...
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
Nice review and pictures.  The pizzas and dessert looks awesome. Thank you for sharing GB.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:04:59 PM »
LA really isn't great for NP pizza, and I'm glad Setebello came to Pasadena. I have eaten at their SLC and LV locations and will have to go to their Pasadena location when I visit home again.

As far as NP is LA I have visited a few of the places

Pizzeria Ortica- Good pizza and a great lunch special
Antica Pizzeria- Old home to the VPN classes but it is now closed down
Mozza- don't go there just for the pizza, but if you want to go to a super trendy place for a date then by all means
Downtown Disney- I ate at the place there and it's not very good. They try to be authentic and have the caputo bags everywhere. it was a while ago but if I remember correctly my pizza took around 2 min + to bake.

Setebello is definitely the best of the bunch