Author Topic: The Food Lab: Can You Rescue Poorly Stored Mozz-from Serious Eats  (Read 1303 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: The Food Lab: Can You Rescue Poorly Stored Mozz-from Serious Eats
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:09:03 PM »
conclusion of article:

soak refrigerated "fresh" mozza in a warm, salted milk bath for an hour before using to duplicate the real thing

Very interesting article, Jeff, thanks for pointing this out.  I'm definitely going to give it a try.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
Thanks for posting the conclusion- I should've thought of that.  :P

I hope this works as good as stated. It would be a game changer.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
Does this apply to mozz for use on pizza? I'm draining mine on paper towels for hours to get excess water out of it. Of course all I can get is waterlogged mozz.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
Does this apply to mozz for use on pizza?
I was wondering the exact same thing when reading that article. I have been pressing my semi-fresh mozz between two sheet pans weighted down with free weights to expel any excess moisture.  
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »
Guess the only thing to do is try it and see!

Maybe using balled mozza vs. brick, seeing what the flavor and goop difference is.  If nothing else, this technique should be awesome for salads and other uncooked applications.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:23:38 PM »
I can't see this helping brick mozz. As Craig pointed out, I wonder if it would make the cheese too wet to be used on pizza, or if it would be best suited for caprese salad or similar...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
Does this apply to mozz for use on pizza? I'm draining mine on paper towels for hours to get excess water out of it. Of course all I can get is waterlogged mozz.

Craig, the Di Palo mozz Kenji used for the test is very different from the Galbani fresh mozz that you use.   I have been told through an acquaintance that the curd used to make the Di Palo cheese is Polly-O curd, which I have made cheese from as well and can confirm the cheese is very similar to Di Palo's Cheese.   Both the Di palo cheese and the cheese I made is quite a bit more firm than the Galbani.  I have also bought the Polly-O Fiore Di latte in the big 6lb tubs and it is also more firm than the Galbani.  The Galbani has a lot more water in it and quite a bit softer, much more like bufala mozz. 

This trick seems to be more suited for a firmer fresh mozz like Di Palo, Bel Gioso, or the like.  It might even work on a soft brick mozz if soaked for longer than an hour.  Definitely worth checking out though .  Nice find Jeff.   

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »

Amazing...One more trick to try...I have made fresh mozz from raw milk before, and the salt was a key issue in the flavor...Bel Gioioso is what I use now, and I will try the milk plus salt at 110F...I bet it is better...I do wonder about the extra moisture, especially for us non-WFO folks...We'll find out...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.