Author Topic: Dough Pizza Napoletana - San Antonio, TX  (Read 1426 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Dough Pizza Napoletana - San Antonio, TX
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »
We stopped by Dough in San Antonio a couple weeks ago. By Texas standards, it was pretty good. In reality though it was just OK. The service was good. They close at 9p, and when we got there at 8:45 on a Tuesday, they were packed with a wait.

We had a Margherita and a Sausage and Rabe. The dough on both seemed a little underrisen. The crumb was a little tough and somewhat bready. Bake time was 60-70 seconds on the pies I watched. Their oven is a Forno Napoletano.

The sauce is a bit thick and heavy, and I don't like that much cheese on a Margherita, but i doubt most would see that as a fault. I also didn't like the sausage on the Sausage and Rabe, but the Calabrian chili oil they add is a nice touch.

San Antonio has a pretty low cost of living, which made their prices all the more surprising. At $21, their Margherita STG would be among the most expensive in SF or NYC. $21 for a Margherita in San Antonio, TX? It doesn't seem to be slowing them down any.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Dough Pizza Napoletana - San Antonio, TX
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
My barely trained eye says that the tops and bottoms need more heat, although the rim came along quickly.  I'm sure San Antonio enjoys it.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
Those still look pretty good to me. I can't make anything like that in my garage, heck I don't even have a garage in my condo. Looks like they used quite a bit of romano on those. Or did you just use the parmesan shaker at the table very liberally haha!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »
It's parm. They put it on. I don't like it on my Marg, and I forgot to tell them to take it off.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline patnx2

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:09:10 AM »
I've seen better looking pizza from TX on this forum. TxCraig1 could teach them a lot me thinks. Patrick
Patrick

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
It's parm. They put it on. I don't like it on my Marg, and I forgot to tell them to take it off.

CL

Are there other neapolitan style places putting that much parm on a margherita? I don't think I've ever seen that before. I hope they have huge bottles of the green kraft stuff next to the oven!

pizzapan