Author Topic: Baked up my 1st Gino's East deep dish tonight  (Read 1605 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Baked up my 1st Gino's East deep dish tonight
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
I found this recipe on youtube and I believe it belongs to a member here named "foodblogger"?  

I skipped the yellow food coloring used to get the authentic Gino's East yellow crust but I may have rolled it out too thin and it ended up looking like a Malnatis pie instead.  The flavor was still very good and in fact I thought this one tasted very similar to Malnatis even though I used bread flour vs all purpose.  

Recipe for 14 inch

16oz bread flour
6oz water
1/8oz yeast
2 tsp salt
4 oz corn oil
1 TBSP olive oil

Baked directly on bottom rack at 450 for 15 mins, then rotated it 180 degrees cooked for another 8 mins then moved to top rack to hit it with the broiler for 2 mins.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:55:38 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pythonic

Re: Baked up my 1st Gino's East deep dish tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:37 AM »
more pics

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »
Nice job pythonic, that looks tasty!

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
Again, your pizza looks great.  My first introduction to Chicago style deep dish pizza was at the original Gino's on Rush St..  They expanded to Gino's East on Superior, but since they were a pretty autonomous restaurant, they quickly changed much of their crust formulation from the original Rush St. restaurant (to make it more "distinctive" I guess).  It's been a few years since I've been to Gino's East, but one undesirable trade mark, at least to me, was their thick pizza rim (or cornicione).  Your version shows the preferable crimped crust as exists with most Chicago Style deep dish pizzas (like Malnati's and original Uno's/Due's).

Here are a few of the many pictures on the internet showing Gino's East pizzas, but with the thick rims, which some like and some don't.  I would prefer digging into your version, however, as it looks delicious.

One thought, however, I previously experimented with various brands of bread flour for deep dish pizzas, but found them not as good to me as a good brand of AP flour (like KA which has a higher protein).  I do prefer some bread flours, however, for certain kinds of thin crust pizzas.  FWIW.

--BTB
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:10:20 AM by BTB »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »
BTB,

I too prefer the thinner rim unless I'm eating giordanos which is my favorite overall.  One thing I wanted to ask you about the malnatis dough is the vid where marc malnatis is tailgating with bear fans and he pulls out some premade dough and I can't help noticing that it is very white and not yellowish like we get from adding all that oil.  I wonder what they are doing differently with that aspect.  Also, I'm not too sure they are using straight all purpose as it seems somewhat bready to me when Im eating it.  I think it's a blend of AP and BF.  Then there is that very distinct dough flavor that's very similar to Irish soda pop bread IMO and I don't know if it's corn meal or semolina or something else they are using to make that flavor.

Nate

pizzapan