Author Topic: The $180,000 Del Popolo Pizza Food Truck  (Read 6668 times)

Offline TXCraig1

The $180,000 Del Popolo Pizza Food Truck
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
There’s only one possible reaction upon first seeing Jon Darsky’s pizza truck: Whoa. Hitched to a mighty rig that weighs 14 tons, Del Popolo begins serving Neapolitan pies this spring from its 5,000-pound oven. This much muscle comes at a cost—over $180,000 in all.

http://www.7x7.com/tech-gadgets/180000-del-popolo-pizza-food-truck
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:59:24 AM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline communist

Re: The $180,000 Del Popolo Pizza Food Truck
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »
Wow ;D

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
Wow is right. Very cool looking.

I took a look at the menu- 2 pies at $10 and 1 at $12. He's going to be really good at making pizza by the time he recoups that investment!  ;) Still damn cool looking.

BTW, I'm predicting now that we will see lots of repurposing shipping containers into food service vestibules. I've noticed this at a few places recently and it seems like a god idea.

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »
Pizza Man Mike priced one out for me a little while back in a 18' step truck for way cheaper than that. Most of that cost because of the custom rig, he could have easily of saved a bunch of money if not for all that customizing.

Offline David Deas

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:12:03 PM »
Guys like this are usually hobbyist geeks.  They aren't looking to quickly recoup their investment.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
I think it's fair to say Jon is more than a hobbyist.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:56 PM »
Just not sure when he says wants people to see his Kick ass oven when its way up there and does not face the action? when the  pies done you put  it down a floor how without dropping or bending I just dont get it? Dont get me wrong I am green with envy ! a Stefano on a mobile  now thats COOL! expensive but cool! commissary Kitchen would still be required right?  limitations ? many I would like to see him get into a pool party back yard  or even a driveway for that Matter? . Will be renting 2 spaces as well at events right ? these events cost $$ big bucks.  I am sure he has a long term business plan with that kind of investment ! I  Think hes going large for the big events / festrivals and minimal set up and down. I wish him much success! at least hes making the real deal!! and not a premade skin with packaged shredded cheese and Hunts pizza sauce thrown into an oven  andcalled woodfired pizza!
Much love and  respect ! go get em Jon!
john
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online scott123

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
This is an incredibly beautiful setup, but, I can't help but think that there might be some things he overlooked.

Like the oven.  As John stated, for a guy that's so aesthetically driven, he should know to point his oven towards his customers so they can see his fire.  The flame is, by far, the prettiest part of any pizzeria. I know he's not dealing with a lot of real estate, but, that, to me, should be the first aspect of any design.

Also, I like the egalitarian theme, but does this mean he's going to be descending/ascending stairs to get people their pizzas? Or is he having his customers climb stairs?  Manning an oven can be pretty strenuous, but manning an oven and climbing up and down stairs?  That sounds a little masochistic to me.  And if he's having customers climb, that puts them right near him/his oven, which is a recipe for many kinds of disaster (accidents, theft, etc.).

And then you've got the size of the truck.  Maybe in San Fran there's enough space for big rigs to get around easier, but here in the NE, the height and turning radius would be a tremendous hassle.  I know that a Ferrara is incredibly heavy, but I can't help but think that this might fit in a smaller, more drivable truck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still incredibly impressed.  Ferraras on trucks is not something you see every day, so this guy is tackling uncharted territory and I give him a lot credit for that. But I can't help but think that this thing is a little too pretty and not quite utilitarian enough.

Btw, this is San Fran, right?  This rig has got to be making Casey a little nervous :)

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
There was a diagram somewhere, it showed someone at the oven, someone taking orders, and another person on the lower step or something like that. The only problem with having the oven facing the crowd would be that he'd have almost no room for maneuvering. It's like playing pool with a wall 2 feet away from the table.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
Look who is standing in there.

http://instagr.am/p/JOF1kjFu-D/

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online scott123

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:23 PM »
The only problem with having the oven facing the crowd would be that he'd have almost no room for maneuvering. It's like playing pool with a wall 2 feet away from the table.

In that setup, I was thinking perhaps a compromise- Not out, but not straight in- a 45 deg. 'cheat' to the audience.  But if I were designing it, I wouldn't be using that truck at all. Something smaller, perhaps with some kind of awning to extend the width and allow the oven to be pointed outwards while still allowing plenty of room to work it.  Now, my scenario wouldn't be half as pretty overall, but the oven would point out and the truck would be more drivable.

This gets pretty extreme, but I'm wondering if you could commission Stefano to make a lighter oven that would sacrifice some thermal mass, but not too much. I know that shipping these ovens around the world is incredibly expensive, so I'm sure the Italian families have given thought to cutting the weight, but I can't help but think, with enough insulation, that these ovens could be slimmed down dramatically but still be very effective.

Online scott123

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
Look who is standing in there.

Pauliegee123?  Could we be related?  ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »
Pauliegee123?  Could we be related?  ;D

scott123,

You and Paulie Gee123 could be related.  ;D

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
I don't see any insulation on the trailer box and I don't see any AC's - you would have heat stroke in the rig during the summer.

Trailers are better than trucks from the standpoint of being eye level with the customer. A trailer parked on the street with the customer on the sidewalk puts you eye level. All that engineering with the truck still doesn't overcome the problem of height.

Health regs require mobile food venders to be enclosed - screening or windows, you can't just open the side up without some barrier to insects, unless you are only doing fairs or events with a temporary food permit. To have a mobile kitchen that you can vend on the street with you have to be fully enclosed.

I'm building a WFO trailer right now with an 50" Ambrogi, - with the stand and insulation it is about 2500 lbs. The trailer is a 10,000 lb capacity tandem, the curb side is fully open with 2 large vending windows that become awnings, 2 roof AC's, 50 amp electrical, water system, diamond plate floor, stainless walls and ceiling, etc.

I could build about 5 or 6 WFO trailers for 180k.     

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
I don't see any insulation on the trailer box and I don't see any AC's - you would have heat stroke in the rig during the summer.

Trailers are better than trucks from the standpoint of being eye level with the customer. A trailer parked on the street with the customer on the sidewalk puts you eye level. All that engineering with the truck still doesn't overcome the problem of height.

Health regs require mobile food venders to be enclosed - screening or windows, you can't just open the side up without some barrier to insects, unless you are only doing fairs or events with a temporary food permit. To have a mobile kitchen that you can vend on the street with you have to be fully enclosed.

I'm building a WFO trailer right now with an 50" Ambrogi, - with the stand and insulation it is about 2500 lbs. The trailer is a 10,000 lb capacity tandem, the curb side is fully open with 2 large vending windows that become awnings, 2 roof AC's, 50 amp electrical, water system, diamond plate floor, stainless walls and ceiling, etc.

I could build about 5 or 6 WFO trailers for 180k.     
Have any pictures? I'd love to see what the big brother to my oven looks like in a food truck.

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
I know this is kind dead now but here is the picture I was talking about http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/2012/01/3-delpopolo-rendering-thumb-500.jpg

Offline Tman1

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »
I with some other s in the opinion that this has a lot of wow factor, but isn't really that functional. You do want people to see that oven mouth and their pizza cooking if you really want to draw them in, IMO. I've seen some pics on the web where the backside of the oven is sticking out the back end of an enclosed 20' trailer... I don't t hnkk that's a great idea either for most of the same reasons this one isn't. But again... wow.
Love to see some pics of Grimaldi's new rig.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 09:12:53 AM »
How much can you actually see a pizza cooking by looking in the mouth? Especially if they're doing any sort of volume? You see people working the oven. Opening, and dressing the dough yes, working the oven yes. I just don't get being able your pizza cook.

Online DNA Dan

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
I've seen several mobile setups and the best ones usually have the kitchen partially outside the truck. It makes the meal more intimate and you feel like you're a part of the operation. IMO the oven should be sitting on the bed of the truck facing the doors. You open it up and the cook actually stands on the ground. All the prep tables make an "L" shape around the cook. The cook takes out pies and puts the pies on the cutting/serving table directly. People want to see the craft. It's a dying art. I don't know if this is possible for a WFO, but those are the best setups I have seen.

Online BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
I've seen several mobile setups and the best ones usually have the kitchen partially outside the truck. It makes the meal more intimate and you feel like you're a part of the operation. IMO the oven should be sitting on the bed of the truck facing the doors. You open it up and the cook actually stands on the ground. All the prep tables make an "L" shape around the cook. The cook takes out pies and puts the pies on the cutting/serving table directly. People want to see the craft. It's a dying art. I don't know if this is possible for a WFO, but those are the best setups I have seen.
That doesn't make it a food truck anymore if you have everything outside. That sounds more like a mobile WFO like John, Larry and many others have.