Author Topic: New Anthony Mangieri video  (Read 1013 times)

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
New Anthony Mangieri video
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:30:50 PM »
"You cannot buy insanity" My favorite part of it, having baked pizzas at 4am and having them for breakfast.   I love the smell of Neapolitan pies in the morning. 

https://vimeo.com/96549244

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Anthony Mangieri video
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »
Great video...It really sucks that he is allergic to wheat....  He has some real drive and passion.. 

C.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
I really enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.

"You can't buy passion. You can't buy integrity. You can't buy insanity."

Much respect!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 12:34:30 PM »
Awesome video.

I was just in there last Friday, and I was shocked to see his Stefano Ferrara oven replaced with an Acunto.  He said it had only been there 3 days and was still curing (though the bakes were still super fast.  I asked him why the change, and Anthony replied that he wanted the oven he used to work with.  I wonder what happened to the Stefano?  Hopefully it went to a good home.

Also- Anthony is allergic to wheat?  I had no idea, when did that happen and where's the source for that?

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »
Awesome video.

I was just in there last Friday, and I was shocked to see his Stefano Ferrara oven replaced with an Acunto.  He said it had only been there 3 days and was still curing (though the bakes were still super fast.  I asked him why the change, and Anthony replied that he wanted the oven he used to work with.  I wonder what happened to the Stefano?  Hopefully it went to a good home.

Also- Anthony is allergic to wheat?  I had no idea, when did that happen and where's the source for that?

It was in a interview article with him and a food magazine. He said that was one of the reasons he was off for a year. He said we he got back to working with the dough his eyes almost swelled shut. He said he is on a special diet to control it and can have pizza 1 time a week. I was stunned as well.

C.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
Aha- I found an article that discusses it here:
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2010/11/interview_with_anthony_mangier.php

Thats the one.. Hey.. did you happen to snap a photo of his new oven? I'll bet Craig would be glad to hear about the Acunto Switch... ;D

C.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:17:57 PM by vandev »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
I watched the video the other day and really liked it. He said "I'm completely focused on trying to make it better than it was the day before." If you look at the final product from the video of him done 4 years ago, compared to the pizzas in this video, they look quite different to me.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
Thats the one.. Hey.. did you happen to snap a photo of his new oven? I'll bet Craig would be glad to hear about the Acunto Switch... ;D

I did.  It's a pretty crappy pic, but here you go.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

Nice....Thanks...how could you not snap a pic if you went there....   ;D

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
wow! I wonder what the real reason was.  I liked the look of the SF oven.

Yes, his pies nowadays are way smaller and puffier.  I wonder how it has changed taste wise and texture wise.   

I noticed on the video that the dough had a bit of resistance. It didn't look that relaxed.   

Yeah, he's got allergies.  His workflow throws a lot of flour and you can notice it on the old video.  I still do not see the point in throwing around that much flour, specially on dough balls after they have been placed on the tray.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:05:44 AM by fornographer »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
wow! I wonder what the real reason was.  I liked the look of the SF oven.

Yes, his pies nowadays are way smaller and puffier.  I wonder how it has changed taste wise and texture wise.   

I noticed on the video that the dough had a bit of resistance. It didn't look that relaxed.   

Yeah, he's got allergies.  His workflow throws a lot of flour and you can notice it on the old video.   In my experience, throwing that much flour, on the dough box, and over the dough balls, doesn't make any difference.

I was thinking the same thing...lots and lots of flour..no burning on the bottom....very puffy dough balls.....Well when you have been doing it that long its like a six sense.... 

C.

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »
    yeah but its a gianni acunto not a mario acunto

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
Thanks for posting. The wife and I ate there one night. Realllly long wait!
Glad I went.
Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
Is anyone curious about the way he makes his dough ?  i find that in his videos you see him had mixing a very soupy dough mix .  Then you see him add that to the mixer.Then you see him pulling a much thicker dough..still wet but looks much more puffy. I know he is doing a 2 day dough so maybe he is hand mixing his starter and say a 1/4 of his dough mixture to super aerate it then add it to the final mix?  I don't know.. just a observation...

C.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
Is anyone curious about the way he makes his dough ?  i find that in his videos you see him had mixing a very soupy dough mix .  Then you see him add that to the mixer.Then you see him pulling a much thicker dough..still wet but looks much more puffy. I know he is doing a 2 day dough so maybe he is hand mixing his starter and say a 1/4 of his dough mixture to super aerate it then add it to the final mix?  I don't know.. just a observation...

C.

I think this is pretty close: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10237.0
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
I think this is pretty close: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10237.0

Thanks Craig...When i saw his last video it struck me what he did in naturally risen...didn't give it a thought till i just saw his new one. 

Thx C.

Edit: Whow ..thats a lot to absorb. Now i have some ideas forming... So Craig.. Are you a Physicist by day or CIA ...  ?     ;D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:18:07 PM by vandev »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »
Strange that the video went private....

C.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:06 AM »
Strange that the video went private....

C.

Same for here... I was looking forward to seeing the video too!  Guess I'm just a bit late to the game...