Author Topic: Pizza, Passion and Pride  (Read 11059 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pizza, Passion and Pride
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »
Caputo 00 Chef's flour is around 12.5% or more protein.  Seems to work great for pizza.

Caputo 00 Chef's flour is the exact same flour as the Caputo 00 Pizzeria (Blue Bag) and runs 11.5-12.5% protein.

And yes, it makes a great pizza (at high temps anyway).
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline David Deas

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
You positive about that?  Chef's flour is Rinforzato these days, isn't it?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:12:16 PM by David Deas »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Unless it's changed in the past couple months, 100% positive.

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
Hi Guys,

As it happens I just spent today at a Caputo flour demonstration day here in the UK.

They have a range of different flours with various characteristics and descriptions according to their literature. If it`s of interest -

00 Pizzeria   
00 Pizza Chef
00 AG Manitoba
00 Confezione
00 Rinforzato
00 00 Super
00 Confezione
00 Pasta Fresca & Gnocchi
0 Special
Integrale

Kind Regards,

Banstable

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

As it happens I just spent today at a Caputo flour demonstration day here in the UK.

They have a range of different flours with various characteristics and descriptions according to their literature. If it`s of interest -

00 Pizzeria   
00 Pizza Chef
00 AG Manitoba
00 Confezione
00 Rinforzato
00 00 Super
00 Confezione
00 Pasta Fresca & Gnocchi
0 Special
Integrale

Kind Regards,

Banstable

Thanks for documenting this. I have, on a number of occasions, extolled that the 00 designation is very generic - this shows just how wide a net it encompasses, and this is only one company in Italy.

John

Offline Kermit

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »
Unfortunately I'm not available to get Caputo flour here in Denmark. I can order it from Great Britain, but it's crazy expensive.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 04:41:28 AM »
Thinking about the future and work

Yesterday I sat down and read an article about Anthony Mangieri that was posted in here a month ago or so. Like myself, he spends a lot of time on his bike although it being an MTB where I'm more into the roadbike. It was a very inspiring article that got me thinking quite a bit about my life - who'd thought you could get that from reading an article about a mountainbiker who makes pizza? I'm educated in marketing and love marketing with all the different aspects that it has. Unfortunately my current job isn't as appealing to me. I've been the eventcoordinator in one of the biggest and most reknowned malls in Denmark for the last 3 years - being in charge of all events ranging from christmas to exhibits with some big external partners. But I have a crazy boss, and every year in a mall is quite the same. There's always a xmas, a winter vacation, a summer vacation etc. So in other words I'm a bit tired of it all, and need a change of environment. I'd love to keep working with marketing, but the current situation when it comes to jobs in Denmark, is probably like the rest of the world - very hard to find something new. I've been searching intensively for about 6-8 months now, and it has got me to a handfull of interviews, but not being able to close the deal.

Then last week my brother in law asked me how serious I was about this pizza thing. For those of you that haven't been reading from the start - my parents in law own a famous pizzeria here in Denmark, and my girlfriend and her brother are set to take over the family business within a couple of years. My brother in law has been working as a pizzaiol the last couple of years, and have now taken the floor to be more in control with the restaurant. Now, back to the story. I told him that I was pretty serious about opening my own place at some time, but I couldn't do it right now as I still have to pay rent and such. He then told me that they currently had 3 pizzaiolos, but needed one more when the season kicks in - the restaurant is located in an amusementpark called Tivoli. I turned him down, because the working hours are crazy as Tivoli is closed Jan-March, and a month or so in the autumn. That would mean that working there I wouldn't get to ride my bike as much as I'd like, and this season I've promised to myself to see how far I can go. I'm in the shape of my life, and beats everybody when we have our practice runs.

But that article sparked something in me. It would litterally be a dream come true to work in the pizzeria, being a part of creating art! Coming to work everyday with a smile on my face and following the process from ordering the flour to seing the happy customers leave the restaurant with smiles on their faces. Some of you might think "Well, what about your dream of working with marketing?", and what if I could say that I could to both? I've recently initiated the sites own Facebook page, and it's my little baby that a cherrish everyday and have several pages written down with ideas we should do. I'm sure that I would be able to take part in the marketing decisions and drive those channels that I want to. It almost sounds too good to be true right?

My only constraints right now are:
- What about my biking?
- Will I tire of making pizzas?

What about my biking?
There's no doubt that I LOVE riding my bike. Currently I train 4-6 times a week, and get about 250-300 km every week from riding my bike. I love the racing aspect of it, competing with the other guys to see who's the fastest and who has the legs. As mentioned earlier, I'm in the best shape I've ever been and on our last ride I took 4 out of 4 sprints. But then again, there's a rule of thumb that says that if you train 3 times a week you fulfill 80% of your potential. To get that last 20% you need to train a lot more, and with my current age(26 turning 27 in September), there shouldn't be any problems in still being a good rider. I talked with my girlfriend yesterday about it, and she also said that if/when we start thinking of children I won't be able to train 10-15 hours a week anyway. Apparantly Anthony commutes to work, and get's out in the weekend to train.

Will I tire of making pizzas?
Maybe, but what if the opposites happen? What if I actually end up being more hooked on making pizzas, experimenting with different types of fermentation, flavours etc? The ability to combine marketing and pizzamaking would be so cool. If I could only mix it up with cycling and my dreams would come true. It could also be the stepping stone to expand the pizzeria. The idea is to keep the pizzeria in Tivoli and have it as a cash-cow for those of you who know your marketing - for those who doesn't, a cash-cow is a product in your portfolio that has a stable revenue and generates a lot of money without a great effort. Think of Coca Cola, they have a huge portfolio, and their cash-cow is Coca Cola. Having the pizzeria as a cash-cow leaves room to experiment, and what I'd love to do is to make THE pizzeria in Copenhagen(capitol in Denmark). There's a handful of good pizzerias, each of them with their own type of pizza. I'd love to make a restaurant similar to Tony's Neapolitan pizza in SF where you can get different styles of pizzas ranging from Neapolitan, classic Italian, to New York and Sicilian Style. My concern is whether or not you'd be able to control 4-5 styles of pizzas to perfection, or if you'd lack a bit in everything? Another option would be to open the first and only VPN certified pizzeria in Denmark. The PR you could get from something like that would be second to none, and there's a growing focus in Denmark on quality instead of quantity. We have a pizzeria called Mother's that make neapolitan styled pizzas, but they're not all in. They're not using San Marzanos for instance. Oh the many ideas I have.

All of this thinking really makes me confused. Should or shouldn't I? Should I quit the job that I really am not that interested in because I've gotten so good at it, and start doing something that I would really love, but would also mean saying goodbye to my summer, but in the long run could give me the experience that I would need to open up something by myself. Maybe that would lead me to a restaurant that opens at 5 pm and closes, as Anthony puts it "When the dough runs out", which would give me the opportunity to do some riding in the morning and start working about 2-3 pm to prepare to open?

So I have a question to all you enthusiasts here on the leading pizzaforum on the web:
Why have/or haven't you quit your regular job to work as a pizzaiol?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 07:09:35 AM »
Had expected a lot more turmoil from that last post  :)

Anyhow, just a quick update. It's been a while since I fired up my small WFO, and one of the reasons have been that I needed to take a break from eating pizza. It's not that I'm gaining a ton of weight, but as a bikerider I need to be as light as possible. And since I have a couple of races in the coming weekends, I needed to shed a bit of weight.

I recently ordered the italian starters including the Ischia starter. Hope to see it in a weeks time or so. In a months time I will actually be travelling to the Ischia area aka southern Italy. Will be renting a small apartment in the Sorrento area, which will mean a trip to Naples!

In my last post I promised you some pictures from the latest pizza thing in April.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »
A couple more pictures

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 07:21:11 AM »
 Kermit,

Your pies and calzone look delicious!  :) I love your pizza plate in the last photo.  8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
That last photo is fantastic!  All the pizzas look great!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 04:17:22 AM »
Thanks Norma and Robyn  :)

I've recently been fascinated by Anthony Mangieri, and have watched the "Natural Risen" video many times. I've even read the thread here about how he makes his pizzas. In most of the litterature about him, he claims that he's not using yeast, but simply a mix of water and flour. I read in a danish book about Biga. There are many ways to make a biga, but apparantly one of the most classic ways is to make a mix of 50% water and 50% flour, stir it together, and let it sit for some days while stirring a couple of times a day. After 4-5 days the mixture should be bubbling, and be ready to use as a preferment.

I mixed one together about 5 pm Wednesday, and when I looked at it this morning at about 8 am, it had risen significantly. There's no doubt that I will try to make a biga again, and then after 24 hours incorporate it in a dough to see if it will actually rise.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »

Kermit,

I donít know what kind of yeast Anthony Mangieri is using, but would think it is either a sourdough or wild yeast starter. 

I am not sure if your mixture of 50% water and 50% flour will be able to make you a wild yeast starter in about 4-5 days. 

Maybe you might want to read this article from Didier Rosada about exploring the life of a sourdough and making a sourdough, whether you use a real sourdough or one made from wild yeast.

http://www.bakerconnection.com/artisanbaker/article_02.htm

You can also read what a biga is at Peterís post and the link within at Repy 8 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18760.msg183603.html#msg183603  It seems like your preferment of 50% water and 50% flour is more in a poolish format.

Good luck with your dough using a preferment. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »
I've recently been fascinated by Anthony Mangieri, and have watched the "Natural Risen" video many times. I've even read the thread here about how he makes his pizzas. In most of the litterature about him, he claims that he's not using yeast, but simply a mix of water and flour. I read in a danish book about Biga. There are many ways to make a biga, but apparantly one of the most classic ways is to make a mix of 50% water and 50% flour, stir it together, and let it sit for some days while stirring a couple of times a day. After 4-5 days the mixture should be bubbling, and be ready to use as a preferment.

In the flyer he had at his place in NYC (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9339.msg81103.html#msg81103) Mangieri stated that he did not use commercial yeast. Naturally risen implies he uses a wild yeast (sourdough). It really has to be one or the other. I tasted a distinct sour note in his dough, and Iím confident in saying it is leavened with a sourdough culture. He says he uses the old dough method, so itís not a starter per se, but rather a piece of dough from a previous day that inoculates the new batch of dough. His method is more of a polish method.

Iím not sure which UPN thread you read here, but I did a bit of work on it a while back and came up with a formula that I think is pretty close. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10237.0.html

With respect to biga, it is almost always made with a small amount of commercial yeast. If you want to use a natural culture, I would recommend purchasing a proven, established culture like the ones sourdo.com sells. You will probably save yourself a lot of headaches.

cornicione54

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2012, 07:53:51 PM »
re: UPN
No biga, no yeast. Craig's reverse-engineering is spot-on imho.
ie first dough of the week made with a preferment/levain in turn made from a storage (sourdough) starter. subsequent days might use leftover dough from the previous.

From a 2008 article by Mario Batali: http://www.mariobatali.com/images/ArticlePDF/PizzainAmerica2of2.pdf
"At New York's Una Pizza Napoletana, Anthony Mangieri's recipe relies on Italian 00 flour, a 12-year-old starter and a two-day proofing period"

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:03:59 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
He confirms in this interview that he uses a starter (second page). It is used in the traditional levain method:

http://www.foodgps.com/interview-pizza-maker-anthony-mangieri

John

Offline Kermit

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 07:06:13 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. Very nice work Craig on that reverse UPN method. I'm very impressed! I have ordered the cultures from sourdo.com and can't wait for them to arrive so I can start experimenting.

I was by the pizzeria a couple of days ago, and got to talking with one of the pizzaiolos who's from the Naples area. He used to work in the only danish pizzeria that serves neapolitan styled pizza, and told me a bit about the process of making the dough. From what I could understand - an italian speaking english isn't that easy to understand - they used a similar method as UPN.

If everything goes according to plan, I will have the pleasure of working with him in the fall  :)

Offline Kermit

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
My new mixer came yesterday. After been working with a Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer with the C-hook, I just got too frustrated with the lack of kneading action. So I sold that one, and got this mixer instead. It's a danish brand called BjÝrn who mainly makes mixers for commercial use. And then they make this smaller one for residential use. I've read several reviews of it, so I wasn't really nervous about ordering it. I took it for a spin today, and made some ciabatta bread, and it was really exciting to see what happens to dough when it's kneaded properly.

The book Tartine Bread just recently was released in a danish version, so I got that one as well, and can't wait to have read it cover to cover.

Hopefully I will make some pizzas this Sunday.

Offline toddster63

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
Ooooow, sexy little red number, Kermit, nice mixer indeed! Is it a spiral mixer? How expensive it something like that in Denmark? We have nothing like that here in the US at an affordable price...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
  What size is that Kermitt? 5L ? Just curious whats affordable to the average home pizza maker for a well built residential model spiral mixer. $1000? 1500? they are built to last forever! so if you make pizza 2 x a week for ten years thats less than  $1 a batch  right ! I cant say enough about having the right mixer designed to do the job. I also respect all those who mix all or  a part by hand My injuries prevent such but I wish I would have done it many years ago.
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

pizzapan