Author Topic: Pizza, Passion and Pride  (Read 11571 times)

Offline Kermit

Re: Pizza, Passion and Pride
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 02:37:42 AM »
Ooooow, sexy little red number, Kermit, nice mixer indeed! Is it a spiral mixer? How expensive it something like that in Denmark? We have nothing like that here in the US at an affordable price...

What size is that Kermitt? 5L ? Just curious whats affordable to the average home pizza maker for a well built residential model spiral mixer. $1000? 1500? they are built to last forever! so if you make pizza 2 x a week for ten years thats less than  $1 a batch  right ! I cant say enough about having the right mixer designed to do the job. I also respect all those who mix all or  a part by hand My injuries prevent such but I wish I would have done it many years ago.
JOhn

Thank you both Todd and John. It's a 5L planetary mixer, and from what I've heard it's a mixer that's almost impossible to kill. Such a small workhorse.

Here in Denmark I found it for about 6500 DKK which is the same as about $1100 which is not that bad - atleast not compared to danish prices. A Kitchenaid Artisan mixer here is sold for about $620. I found a little Youtube video of someone who demonstrates his -
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBy8vrJVcWg&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBy8vrJVcWg&amp;feature=related</a>

I actually found a place in the US that sells them. The US name is Varimixer Teddy, or Varimixer Bear. http://www.cateringsuppliesdepot.com/product/varimixer-w5a/varimixer-teddy-mixer $1100, and this one is the upgraded version where you can buy an attachment to grind meat and such.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »
Yesterday I fired up my little oven and made some pizzas for the first time in a while. This also meant a debut for my new mixer, and it did the job quite well I must say. Will still have to learn to use it a bit more. The recipe was:
Riscossa 00 flour - 100%
Hydration - 59%
SD preferment - 10%
Salt - 2,5%
Cake Yeast - 0,02%

Set to bulk rise for about 20 hours at RT, balled and let to rise for 4,5 hours before use. When I took the dough out of the container to ball it, it was extremely moist. A bit of flour, and a lot of frustration of how to handle it made for some beautiful balls 4,5 hours later. I made 5 balls with about 280 grams, and 5 balls with about 200-210 grams.

The dough was easy to handle when I wanted to use it, and I made probably the best pizza I've ever made. Everything was just great. The dough was really good with a slight sour taste from the sourdough, but was maybe just a tad too chewy. I really like the classic neapolitan style with very short baking times, but the people eating my pizzas usually prefer them when they have been cooked just 30-40 seconds longer. The oven could have been a bit warmer, and the fire a bit bigger. The first couple of pies were really good with clear leoparding, whereas I almost ran out of "good wood" at the end, so they had to have a bit longer in the oven. I was pleased none the less, and my GF and her parents were very excited about it.  :)

Offline Kermit

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 06:49:32 AM »
Nice bake Kermit! congrats!!
what kind of cheese is that with the potatoes?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Kermit

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »
Nice bake Kermit! congrats!!
what kind of cheese is that with the potatoes?
Thanks Andre. It's ricotta cheese from Galbani  :) We tried to make small drops of it on the pizzas instead of smearing it. It didn't taste bad, but it tastes better when it's smeared like regular sauce.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »
nice looking Ricotta, very shiny!! thanks.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Kermit

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »
Made a little movie from last nights pizzamaking.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3ssfE3BqY&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt3ssfE3BqY&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 11:13:08 AM »
Awesome looking pies, Kenneth. Nice leoparding, great crumb. You dough looks like it handles very nicely. One thought, shaking the peel under your raw pie after you strech it but before you put in in the oven will make it shrink inwards.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 12:05:54 PM »
The Pizza Party oven people should buy your video.  Much better looking pizzas than they have.  Good job!
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline toddster63

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
That crumb is like a work of art, Kermit...

Offline Kermit

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
The Pizza Party oven people should buy your video.  Much better looking pizzas than they have.  Good job!
Haha, yeah. They really didn't make any videos that show that this oven actually works decently. And thanks  :)

That crumb is like a work of art, Kermit...
Thanks Todd. I was actually also very impressed with it myself  ;D

Awesome looking pies, Kenneth. Nice leoparding, great crumb. You dough looks like it handles very nicely. One thought, shaking the peel under your raw pie after you strech it but before you put in in the oven will make it shrink inwards.
Thanks for the heads up Craig. The only reason I did it was actually because I got a bit of flour on the peel when I grabbed it from the table. Next time I'll use my hands to remove it  :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »
A little flour on the peel won't hurt anything. If I'm using my metal peel, I give it a light dusting before sliding it under the pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 12:28:15 PM »
I played around with your avatar photo and made it a little sharper. Feel free to use this one if you like. No worries if you don't.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline toddster63

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 01:03:27 PM »
Kermit, a fellow Frenchie fan! This is Morty, the Frenchie I live with—what's the name of yours?

Morty LOVES pizza, and gets very excited when I go out to light up my LBE...!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2012, 08:08:40 AM »
I played around with your avatar photo and made it a little sharper. Feel free to use this one if you like. No worries if you don't.

CL
Thanks Craig. It's already in use! About the flour, it was not just a sprinkle on the peel, but when I slid the peel under the pie I shoved the peel a tad too much forward which resulted in the front of the peel landed in the flour pile - that was a really long sentence  ;D

Kermit, a fellow Frenchie fan! This is Morty, the Frenchie I live with—what's the name of yours?

Morty LOVES pizza, and gets very excited when I go out to light up my LBE...!
Morty looks like such a nice guy! It's unfortunately not my frenchie, but my girlfriend brothers. His name is Arthur and he's impossible to resist! I have a cat called Dave, he's not a great pizza fan though.

Offline toddster63

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
I have a cat called Dave, he's not a great pizza fan though.

Try some anchovies on your pies—that might entice that handsome feline...!

Offline Redshirt

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2012, 05:22:38 AM »
Now that is something Miss Piggy would be proud of!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42:21 AM »
Hi Kermit ,
Fun stuff!It appears the  precast fireplace in the background has taken a back seat to the Pizza oven  ;D Finally had a chance to watch it ALL good !  Dough looks very similar to what I end up with. and Pizza look great! My only note
Just watch the GI peels (head) on the floor or patio the  health dept wont go for that. and they are tempermental little critters that get banged up pretty easy. You probably have a stand (or just a Hook on the wood?) in the works.
Keep em coming!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Kermit

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
Try some anchovies on your pies—that might entice that handsome feline...!
Haha, I might give it a try.

Now that is something Miss Piggy would be proud of!!
Thanks, but I would be doubting whether or not she would eat any of those work pork on it  :D

Hi Kermit ,
Fun stuff!It appears the  precast fireplace in the background has taken a back seat to the Pizza oven  ;D Finally had a chance to watch it ALL good !  Dough looks very similar to what I end up with. and Pizza look great! My only note
Just watch the GI peels (head) on the floor or patio the  health dept wont go for that. and they are tempermental little critters that get banged up pretty easy. You probably have a stand (or just a Hook on the wood?) in the works.
Keep em coming!!
John
Thanks for the feedback John. The head down is definately not something danish health dept people won't go for either. It was just convenience until I get a holder for it.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
I received my dried sourdoughs from Sourdo.com a couple of days ago, and got to activating the Ischia starter 2 days ago. Being a metric kind of guy, I was a bit put off by the instructions using cup as a measure. I googled it and found out that a cup was about 200 grams. What I forgot was that it's a measure that relies on volume, and not weight  :-[ So I mixed up a 50/50 portion of water and flour, and found it a bit thick. It wasn't until I today read the instructions on the webpage that I figured out that it should have been something like 110 grams flour, and 220 grams water. I guess I'll thin it out eventually.