Author Topic: Abscorbic acid instead of potasium bromate to strengthen gluten?  (Read 3502 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Abscorbic acid instead of potasium bromate to strengthen gluten?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
Temperature needed to kill mites (at least the North American variety lol)
http://www.ciart.it/Biblioteca/MICROWAVE/THERMA.pdf

Sqid,

I'm not sure what kind of bugs you might have in your flour but Tom Lehmann of the American Institute of Baking recommends freezing the flour for 45 days, even for small bags. See Replies 3-5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17806.msg172763/topicseen.html#msg172763.

Peter

Offline Sqid

Re: Abscorbic acid instead of potasium bromate to strengthen gluten?
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Thanks for that Peter.  I imagine, that amount of time, is to completely detaminate the flour giving you almost unlimited shelf life.   Quite an extreme step to take as my aim (atm) is to give it a shelf life of about 1 month with the purpose of oxidising it.

Tom also seems to suggest that lower temperatures will reduce the oxidisation:

"Flour does change during storage, it oxidizes, meaning that it gets stronger. This may not be a good thing as it can result in excessive dough memory/snap-back during the forming operation. For this reason, we suggest storing the flour in the fridge if at all possible."

So... I think I will try to find an alternative method of keeping the bugs at bay!   The post did provide me with some important information.  One: that the container need not be airtight.   Two: the life cycle of the critters  My wife bought an airtight container yesterday but could only find one with a screw top mouth which is really too small for easy access.   Now I can buy a suitable container easily which will most likely be completely ineffective  :-D

pizzapan