Author Topic: Under proofed, over proofed, or just right?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Under proofed, over proofed, or just right?
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:26:12 AM »
Hi guys,

Can you tell me (T-Minus 2.5 hours till bake time) how you think these guys are travelling?

61% Hydration, 2.9% Salt, 1.4% Ischia, 24 hours Bulk (16-17), 24 hours Ball (18).

This is only my second time using culture, and Im used to CY being more inflated? FWIW they looked like this last time too, and baked quite tender and opened very easy? They just look small for 275g balls.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:28:24 AM by Totti »

Offline fagilia

Re: Under proofed, over proofed, or just right?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:32:17 AM »
I have been thinking about this too.
looking at da michele dough tray. They use 600x400mm tray and balls not touch each other. It means they are not that big when baked. If my balls would bee like your picture they would be super smooth to handle (like you see when michele open balls) but result in flatter edge compared to ciro. But with a more visible leoparding just like michele. Thats my findings. Taste i cant say about since iam a taste amateur.. you can get more bubbles with starter offcourse. This speed you need from start not add extra heat to grow in final hours. This will result in pancakes when you have them in dough tray like you have. If to flat and spread out before bake they will deflate on table when taking from tray and result in too flat cornicione. These are my findings. But then again iam no proffesional.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:35:41 AM by fagilia »

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »
*Spoilers*

Unders. Though the dough turned out looking great (Photos to come), cornice were small, good leapording, but dough was a little tough to open and had a chew to the crust.

At odds as to what move to make next. Perhaps, judging by the poor rise, more Ischia?

Offline axbman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
what if you increase your bulk rest time?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
*Spoilers*

Unders. Though the dough turned out looking great (Photos to come), cornice were small, good leapording, but dough was a little tough to open and had a chew to the crust.

At odds as to what move to make next. Perhaps, judging by the poor rise, more Ischia?

I've been pushing up the amount of culture I use recently. I'm up to about 1.8-1.9%. Partly because it's been cooler than normal here, but also because I'm finding I like a bit more rise in the dough.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »
I've been pushing up the amount of culture I use recently. I'm up to about 1.8-1.9%. Partly because it's been cooler than normal here, but also because I'm finding I like a bit more rise in the dough.

Thanks for the insight, Craig. I will try around 2% this weekend and see how it goes.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
Totti, what temp were you at? I'm assuming the numbers in parentheses is the temp in Celsius. Back when I started with Ischia, I tried 1.3% and then kept increasing it, even trying up to 2.5% which resulted in too many large bubbles. I've found 2% Ischia to be just right and for the last year or so that's what I've gone with for a 48 hour rise at 65F in my wine fridge. The activity level of my starter varies a bit, but I never have underfermented dough. On day 2 of fermentation, in the morning, I'll check the rise on the dough balls. If they still have a way to go, I'll leave the temp at 65F. If the dough looks close to being fully fermented, I'll dial the temp down to 60F or so.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:59:55 PM by Everlast »

Offline Totti

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 06:50:53 PM »
Totti, what temp were you at? I'm assuming the numbers in parentheses is the temp in Celsius. Back when I started with Ischia, I tried 1.3% and then kept increasing it, even trying up to 2.5% which resulted in too many large bubbles. I've found 2% Ischia to be just right and for the last year or so that's what I've gone with for a 48 hour rise at 65F in my wine fridge. The activity level of my starter varies a bit, but I never have underfermented dough. On day 2 of fermentation, in the morning, I'll check the rise on the dough balls. If they still have a way to go, I'll leave the temp at 65F. If the dough looks close to being fully fermented, I'll dial the temp down to 60F or so.

Hi Everlast, yes, celcius. These pies were matured at around 18c +-

2% worked pretty good this time around, although I still didn't see a large pillow in my dough balls, even as early as overnight they started to pancake. They baked beautifully (Barring the fact that I had to cook at 365c.. Apparently to my fiancÚ "Have the fire raging" apparently means a few small specks of ember by the time I get home from work at 7:30pm to bake.

Why is it still not rising? I am looking for the huge globs I see in pizzanapoletanas threads but mine resemble 1 inch discs. Mind you, I got great oven spring and if my temps were a little higher these would have come out even better. By far the best bake I have had to date though.

Margherita (Bufalina) (245 gram leftover ball. For some reason my formula short changed me).
Ham + Bufalina
Crudo
Bufalina + Homemade Salami + Calabrese Chilli Dust (Forgot to picture - ate it too fast)

pizzapan