Author Topic: Fornography: A Neapolitan pizza journey.  (Read 41325 times)

Offline fornographer

Re: Fornography: A Neapolitan pizza journey.
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2013, 06:01:17 PM »
Hi Omid, thank you.  When I launched the pies, the floor registered around 950F-960F.  The dome was off the scale and the walls of the oven were in the low 900s.  The fire was rolling aggressively--basically the dome was covered with fire all the way to the other wall.   The pies baked in 50 seconds.   

After reading the discussion in the other thread about forno bravo floors (and other non-authentic neapolitan ovens) being too recalcitrant with heat delivery, I decided not to soak the oven up too much.   How was I able to tell this?  The Andiamo 70 oven has what I think is a 2.5-3.5 inch floor.  Before, I would soak the oven until the bottom--when measured with the IR gun--underneath the oven would register between 130-150F.  This was too much retained heat and in a multi-pie session the floor would get too hot (1000F).   I would have to cook the pies on the peel.   This time around, the bottom was just 90F and never even reached 100F

I just heated up the oven for about 50 minutes, quickly raked the coal to the side, and then let the floor settle down to the low 800s.  I then put a small log or two, just enough so that I start getting a roaring fire.  I let the fire heat up the floor to the mid 900s before I launch the first test pie (a marinara).  It cooked in 50 seconds and after I took it out the floor registered in the upper 800s.  I quickly opened and dressed another pie.  That took almost a minute and by the time I was ready to launch, the floor was back in the mid 900s. 

Oh by the way, if you want to cool down a floor very quickly, I've been using a large cast iron pan, filled with little bit of water, covered it with aluminum foil, poked little holes on the foil, and then placed it in the oven right after cooking pies, and closing the door (and raking out the coals).   That absorbs a lot of the energy from the floor and steams up the oven nicely, while keeping the air temp hot, and making perfect for baking Tartine-style sourdough bread.  It took about a little under 2 hours to send a floor from 800s to the mid 500s.

Offline csafranek

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »
Great info! Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:07:20 PM by csafranek »

Offline f.montoya

• Supporting Member
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2013, 06:54:05 AM »
Wow! I just read and enjoyed all seven pages. Beautiful pictures of beautiful pies! Your first pies were excellent but your latest creations are off the charts!!

Thanks for sharing, Fornography. I have a party coming up this weekend(Sunday the 14th). Your last pics are the gold standard I'll be shooting for! :D

Offline MadCityJim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
Thanks for the great thread. I'm in the process of curing my own red Andiamo 70 today. I feel like you've given me the ultimate illustrated owner's manual!

Thanks,
Jim

Offline fornographer

« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
Good ending to a beautiful day in Atlanta. 

Fermentation Length: 1 hr bulk.  19 hrs balled
Hydration:  58%
Salt: 2.7%
Cake Yeast.  Just a speck about 3/4 of a peppercorn size-wise.

Hand mixed. Fermented at room temp (74F in kitchen). Usual hydration is 60% but backed down to 58% because I was unsure when we would return to the house after spending the day around town.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
Beautiful pies...

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
That's up there with the finest Margheritas I've ever seen.

Bake time?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »
I absolutely love the look of the sauce. Please tell me about it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline fornographer

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2013, 10:06:41 PM »
That's up there with the finest Margheritas I've ever seen.

Bake time?
   thanks Craig. The pies tonight were baking between 30 to 40 seconds.

Offline fornographer

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
I absolutely love the look of the sauce. Please tell me about it.
The brand is called La Squisita. I just ran it through my manual food mill. Nothing added. Its very similar to the cento that you use and only a tad sweeter.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
Bravo!

Offline Danapointpizzaman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2013, 06:10:01 PM »
Hi there Fornogaphy, great information, are you till enjoying your oven, I noticed your postings seemed to be April 2012.

Cheers

Danapointpizzaman

Offline fornographer

« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
Hi there Fornogaphy, great information, are you till enjoying your oven, I noticed your postings seemed to be April 2012.

Cheers

Danapointpizzaman

Newest posts are from yesterday and you'll see my progress over the year and a half since that time.  Yes, I am still thoroughly enjoying my oven. It is much more enjoyable now that I have learned how to use it.  The learning curve, to me, was quite steep and it was very frustrating in the beginning. 

Also consider the four grand mere ovens ([size=78%]http://www.breadstoneovens.com/[/size]).  I would have probably chosen them had I known about them when I was making a decision back in the 2011-2012 time frame.

Still, best hobby I've ever picked up. 

Offline Danapointpizzaman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »
Man your pies look fantastic!

Now I am really excited, thank you for sharing your journey.

Congrats Fornography

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »
Indeed very, very nice looking pies  :chef:

Thank you for sharing all that, very inspiring.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Serpentelli

• Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
This is my favorite one.

I could eat that twice a day, every day, not get bored with it, and probably live to be 115 years old as a direct result of eating that pizza twice a day.

Great job!!!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline meatboy

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2013, 03:03:59 AM »
awesome pie!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
Isn't the sauce beautiful on that pie. And the way the cheese melts gently into the sauce without an abrupt edge... love it.

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
Yeah,

The sauce is almost caramelized in some places (like a Sicilian) and wet in others. And those cheese dollops look like little quail eggs or something. AND the oil. AND the basil. AND the cornicione.

Any digital enhancement going on there, fornographer?

Not asking as a dig, just wondering in terms of what I am aspiring to.

John K
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:22:47 PM by Serpentelli »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »
Agreed...That cheese and sauce look is what I strive for with every margherita. The Blackstone I'm using tends to brown/burn the cheese too much.
So many pizzas are baked in the Blackstone and shown here on PM.com..IMO, they're flawed with these brown spots.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Serpentelli

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2013, 12:24:16 PM »
Also,

I think I just heard that pie say something that sounded like "Do not cut me into slices"...

John K

Offline fornographer

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »
 :)   Thank you all.   

@Serpentelli, heheh, no photoshopping on the picture.  Shot with my Canon 5d MKIII and applied a filter that emulated film in Lightroom.  More about the pie:

1.  Sauce:  La Squisita San Marzano tomatoes.   Went through hand cranked food mill (one of those cheap oxo ones from bed bath and beyond) using coarse filter.  I like my sauce with a lot of the tomato flesh still intact.   I just poured the entire can into the food mill.  No salt, sugar, oregano, olive oil.  Just the contents of the can.  To me this brand is a tad bit sweet.  I use this sauce for my sourdough pies and I use Cento Italian for the CY pies.  But this was the only type I had in the kitchen when I was ready to bake.   

2.  Cheese:  Fattorie Garofalo bufalo mozzarella from Costco.  This cheese just melts the way I like it.  It's very creamy and doesn't seize up in a bad way when the pie gets cold.  Relative to the other bufalo mozzarella, it was a good value.  :) I am going to learn how to make my own mozzarella soon.   

3.  Dough:  San Felice Flour (50% blue bag/50% red bag. red bag is for long fermentation).  I mixed it by hand very gently.  I used ice water (cold enough to make your hand a bit numb).  It barely window-paned when I set it for an hour of bulk fermentation.  Most of the gluten developed in the many hours it balled fermented in my kitchen.   As I mentioned originally, I backed way down on the hydration because I wasn't sure how long I was going to be out before being able to bake.  Turned out we got home a bit too early and the dough could have used a couple or so more hours of fermentation.  I think I prefer overfemented dough to underfermented.

Oh yeah, nowadays, I put a lot of olive oil on the pies before launching into the oven.  I think the brand of olive oil I am using is San Giuliano.  It's cold pressed and has a very fruity fresh flavor. 

One of these days, I'll get a video of my bake and/or mixing. 

You can do it too!  It just takes lots of practice and mistakes. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:31:59 PM by fornographer »

Offline Barnstable

« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
Hi Fornographer,

Lovely Margherita. As already commented, the sauce and cheese melt is striking. It maybe the camera but the sauce appears such a deep red. Do you apply it in the swirl technique leaving a ridge at the rim or just spread to cover with a spoon. I think I`m a fan of the basil under the cheese.

Regards,

Barnstable

Offline fornographer

« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Hi Fornographer,

Lovely Margherita. As already commented, the sauce and cheese melt is striking. It maybe the camera but the sauce appears such a deep red. Do you apply it in the swirl technique leaving a ridge at the rim or just spread to cover with a spoon. I think I`m a fan of the basil under the cheese.

Regards,

Barnstable

Yes, I just apply the swirl method with a ladle.  It's a relatively dry dough (58%) so I put a lot of sauce.  The sauce looks like that because there's a lot of tomato flesh that was still relatively intact. 

Offline crkoller

• Food is an important part of a balanced diet
« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »
Love seeing the evolution, I am about to start what I can only hope to be as successful of a journey. Do you have a CY to IDY conversion? I can never end up using the CY and the IDy is so much easier to store. I also have a homemade starter that I use for bread, but it sounds like trying the Ischia starter at some point in the future might be worth it?

Thanks,

Chris