Author Topic: Mystery Pizzialo ?  (Read 1693 times)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Mystery Pizzialo ?
« on: April 08, 2012, 05:16:07 PM »
Had the pleasure of a guest Pizziaolo last night and wanted to se if you could guess who it is. This guy tried to tell me this was his first experience with a WFO but based on the nice results I beg to differ? I fired the oven friday while I was doing yard work. then Saturday I worked all day in the yard and started feeding the Mobile again around 2 PM by the time 5:30 came around the floor was 950 + and off the charts on the dome OOPs!  guess I should have paid a little more attention to the temps. Anyway we baked up a  buch of great pizzas. even with the floor out of control they  still came out fine. I know its doubtful  but with a few more baby steps  I think we can convert this guy?  Hope he had a good time. Dough was spot on 62% 2.75 salt and .17 idy  11 hr bulk and 6 hr balled. really felt nice.  I  wish I had watched  the temps but this guest/ seasoned pro pulled it off quite nicely !!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Mystery Pizzialo ?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Any guesses yet? Hint he has done  alot of work on the recent  NYC pizza tours!
heres the dough at 14 hrs and 1/2 hour prior to  bake 265 G doughballs

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »
Mystery guys Pie ! by the way he was very protective of me taking pictures  ;)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »
I know anticipation is killing you   Dont know but I think he looks pretty happy around the flames!

Its  our own Scott123 working the stick. Nice job !!

sorry Scott you knew it was coming great  to have you !  650 degrees and your dough next time !
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:00:16 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
Few more from the inferno bake ! of course the sopressata,  pepperoni, and Mike Hot honey.  Out of Vt. Smoked  :'(
Tried this for Larry  Last shot with a little shredded down 1st as done in the Bruno video. workewd out fine even at 950 !
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:19:08 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »
And the Up and coming Pizziaola was there as well !
If your wondering thats just  lipstick  on hear forehead  from her aunt stephanie kissing her upon arrival.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:17:06 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26:22 PM »
I knew who it was the minute I saw the back of his head!    ;D. So we finally get to see one of Scott's pies eh?

Nicely done guys.  Great crumb shot as well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:28:07 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
and I Had to sneak that shot Chau!

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
I love it. Your daughter makes better looking pies than either of you, and from the look on her face, she knows it!  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 06:44:12 PM »
So Scotty is a natural at the peel and wfo huh?  Scotty, any chance you are considering getting one? 

Offline Ev

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:13:49 PM »
I'd have recognized that posterior anywhere! :-D
Great pies there, for sure. Looks like y'all had a good time.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
 scott 123, you could always start a thread on how to cook old school ny pie in a wood oven. a la best pizza. your pies look perfect! and john i'm glad you explained the lipstick it looked like a wood fire wound. i thought you were a slave driver and putting your baby to work. i was about to cancel our dinner next week :-D

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »
She learned the hard way grabbibg the door of the oven (only once) and trying to place wood on the fire. She says "too hot" she really enjoys it and yes she's better than me. 6 and sassy! she taught me everything I know. When she starts talking about the molecular structure of Yeast. I am going to sart to worry

scott123

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
Thanks, John, you did a really great job of capturing my back fat.  All the folds are there!  :-D

Seriously, though, what an amazing time!

I got to meet John's wonderful family, including his incredibly gracious and knowledgeable wife, adorable daughter, and his celebrity pet, Molly. John's cousin also joined us, and, beyond, the pizzamaking bliss, the conversations I had with his cousin and wife were fantastic.  I'm not mentioning any names ;) but in my time on this forum, I've heard about more than one wife who 'tolerated' their husband's obsession.  John's wife is the exact opposite of that.  She beams with pride when she talks about John's pizza and all the time he's put into perfecting his dough- and well she should.

It's interesting.  Since yesterday, I've been mulling over John's crust in comparison to the top NY Neapolitan places, and while my lack of Neapolitan eating experience still hampers my perspective, making crust preferences difficult, I have worked with a lot of dough, so judging the dough is a lot easier. When I imagine the absolute perfect dough to work with- it's Johns.  And I don't think this is just a Caputo/fork mixer thing, because I've felt Roberto's dough and it didn't feel like this.  John's dough is just so supple and luxurious.  This is sexy dough. Very very sexy dough.

As I said before, my opinions on what makes the best Neapolitan pizza are still in their infancy.  It's also incredibly difficult to judge two Neapolitan pizzas side by side because the differences tend to be minimal, and those differences tend to tremendously subjective.  All this being said... if I had John's crust, baked in his oven, even at freakishly high temps on one side and Keste and Motorino on the other side, I'd reach for John's.  If I were pitting John's against Forcella, that might be a toss up.  Both seem to have something more- a wow factor.  With John's, that suppleness in the dough makes it's way to the finished crust.

And this is in his present oven. John does some amazing things with his ovens, and I don't think a Neapolitan oven would be a huge improvement, but even if it's just a tiny improvement, that could put his pizza even further into the stratosphere.

John, thanks, again, for including me.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:04:27 PM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
So we finally get to see one of Scott's pies eh?

Well... when it comes to ownership, I think it's the dough maker that 'owns' a pizza.  So, along those lines, you got to see one of 'John's' pies, prepared by me  :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
It doesn't get any better than that. I'd reach for you guy's pies first too!

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:27 PM »
 :-[ Um I am Humbled Scott by your gracious comments! Thank you!!! My wife also spoke very highly of you and your infinite pizza knowledge! I am luckky to have her support for sure. The cousin was a bit flabergasted  on the lanquage, but she got the point. Keep in mind I have learned everything here. from all you great people who share so freely.
I agree with your comments on a good neapolitan can be very  similar.  On tour I remember speaking with Craig on the "we can do that"  as you mention theres not a serious amount of variables beyond  the flour, starter, fermentation,  various other percentages, tomatoes,  humidity, oven type, wood type, moisture ..... ok I take that back  :o . I am going with the full moon theory. Dough made during a full moon allways taste better! yeah right.  :-D
anyway , yes it was a hoot to have you Scott and so glad you took the time to come by. I would gladly do a 650 oven to try your  NY in there. We will use the earthstone next time and save the schlepping to and from the mobile. See you soon !
I have come a long ways, but I have a huge way to go to get even close to  quality of several memembers here  who I respect so, and  look up to -  Craig , Delleavechia, Matthew, Chau, Za Man and many more,  THIS PLACE ROCKS!
Happy Easter Everyone!!
ps I would really love to take my dough to a hot Stefano or the garage someday! do you think the pressure in the plane cargo  will effect it? or do I do a carry on Artisan ?
John

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 03:17:37 AM »
Had the pleasure of a guest Pizziaolo last night. . . .

Thank you guys for sharing the beautiful fruits of your labors!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 03:21:37 AM »
Dear John, where did you buy your small dough tray from? Did it come with a lid? I can definitely use three of those at home. Good night!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »
John,

Thanks for sharing the story about the mystery pizza maker and your beautiful daughters pie.  Sure looks like you all had a great time!  :)

Norma

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
Omid I sent you a PM for the Artisan Dough Tray No problem to get you a 2 or 3

Norma - good time was had by all

I really want to do it again wonder who else is close enough to make the trip??
plenty of room
john

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
i am

buceriasdon

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
John, Thanks so much for sharing!
Don

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »
As great as the pizza surely was, the past part of this post was the camaraderie. Looks like a great time was had by all.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014