Author Topic: Balling: getting it right first time  (Read 610 times)

Offline jamieg

Balling: getting it right first time
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »
I make dough balls at exactly 250 gr - with a 10 gr margin of error, i.e. between 245 gr and 255 gr.

It seems impossible to cut the dough and get it at the right weight first time.

For example, first cut might be 230, so I cut a bit more from the dough and add it to my dough ball. Hopefully, within 2 cuts I will be within the 245 to 255 range - though sometimes it takes 3 cuts.

It seems ridiculous to be making dough balls out of 2 or 3 different parts of dough - but how else can I ensure that all dough balls are within the correct weight range?

Btw, my dough is wholemeal and very very sticky - which doesn't help.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Balling: getting it right first time
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
you will get better and better at judging the size of the ball.   Eventually many pizzeria operators stop using the scale all together because they get so good at eyeballing!

The fact that the dough is wet means that it will combine right back easily into one mass in a short amount of time. You have nothing to worry about.   

Offline jamieg

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »
That's good news.

I am a little surprised how my eyeballing hasn't improved after a year of practice.

Weird - I thought I was going to be crucified after revealing my balling technique.

I also thought somebody would suggest cutting the dough with a knife into equal pieces. i.e. if I know I get 12 balls per batch of dough - just divide the dough into 12 pieces - instead of cutting one at a time.

Thanks.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:56:06 PM »
the neapolitan trick is to slice the dough into long strips so its easier to eyeball the amount you are grabbing.