Author Topic: Sauce first or cheese first  (Read 1532 times)

Offline ere514

Sauce first or cheese first
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
I've always assumed the sauce came first then cheese (I've mostly used sliced BH mozz).  But last time for schnittzenjiggles I went with cheese first (wacky right?)  But this seemed to work out pretty well; no dough shrinkage, peel to stone went incredibly easy and it looked prettier.  Any other believers?

Offline Malanga

Re: Sauce first or cheese first
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 12:50:47 AM »
I believe.  Cheese first is most definitely employed by a few successful pizzerias out there.  In Brooklyn, Spumoni Gardens makes their square pie (a Sicilian of some sorts) like this; there are a few others who do in the 5 boroughs as well.  Also in Jersey- in the Trenton area in particular- the regional pizza is referred to as a "tomato pie" and they also go cheese first.  Personally, I dig it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »
I like the sauce first on Neo & NY pies, but I've seen it done both ways with excellent results.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:50:56 AM »
ere514,

I have also tried cheese first and then sauce and it works out good in some pizzas.  On the boardwalk thread cheese is applied, then sauce, then more cheese.  That also seems to work out well too.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ere514

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
More cheese.  Brilliant!!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
ere514,

This is my best recollection on the subject: Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14463.msg144311/topicseen.html#msg144311.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Question: "Sauce first or cheese first "

Answer:  "yes"

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »
Cheese first, then i put 1/2 cup of sauce into a baggie, lop off the end and drizzle randomly.  This gives varying degrees of saucy goodness!! Sauce first to me results in a pie with the same flavors bite after bite.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
Or should you just throw the sauce, cheese, and toppings into a big bowl, mix it up and then pile it on the pizza?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:10 PM »
Cheese first then sauce is also practiced in Chicago. One of the downsides to this assembly method is that if the cheese is applied very last, it covers everything, good for holding everything together, but if you tend to be a little heavy handed with the vegetable toppings, the cheese will trap a lot of the moisture under it, thus making for a softer finshed crust. This isn't too bad with a deep-dish type of pizza, but it can be a real bummer on a thin crust unless you are in Chicago where no one expects a thin crust pizza to have a crispy bottom anyways.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
I only would like to do it reverse with slices of cheese like in deep dish. I think it would be kind of hard to spread the sauce over the top of grated cheese. Or maybe do like a previous poster said and just throw it all in a bag first. Anyone done that or seen it done?