Author Topic: Caputo Americana  (Read 553 times)

Offline Gianni5

Caputo Americana
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »
One of my vendors brought by a rep from caputo today. He brought some dough balls made with the Caputo Americana flour and also a couple bags of the flour to play with. He said the dough formulation was basically 60% hydration, 2.25% salt, 1% oil, not sure about yeast.  I thought it came out really well. Nice and light, slightly crispy and browned well. I'm definitely curious enough to keep experimenting even though it's almost double the cost of the gm flour I'm currently using. I'll post the results of anyone is interested.
Here's a pic (horrible lighting sorry)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Caputo Americana
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:25:18 PM »
Gianni5,

Your pizza looks very good using the 00 Americana flour.  How long was the dough fermented and what was your bake temperature?

I have been playing around with the 00 Americana flour.

Norma

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »
Hi Norma,
It was bulk fermented cold for around 12 hours then balled and left at room temp for 3. The rep said flavor improves after 24 hours. The texture was great but didn't have a ton of flavor. I'm making another batch tomorrvand gonna let it go for 48

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »
Hi Norma,
It was bulk fermented cold for around 12 hours then balled and left at room temp for 3. The rep said flavor improves after 24 hours. The texture was great but didn't have a ton of flavor. I'm making another batch tomorrvand gonna let it go for 48

Gianni5,

Thanks for explaining how long the dough was in bulk and balled.  Let us know how your next test goes.

Norma

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:02 PM »
Second attempt with this flour. This time it was bulk fermented 12 hours and balled for 24. I was in a rush so the dough ball only had about 15 minutes out of the fridge and was still colder than I like. I was still pretty happy with the results.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »
Nice looking pie.  I like the color and crumb on it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:22:42 PM »
Second attempt with this flour. This time it was bulk fermented 12 hours and balled for 24. I was in a rush so the dough ball only had about 15 minutes out of the fridge and was still colder than I like. I was still pretty happy with the results.

Gianni5,

Looks great!  Your bulk ferment and balled for 24 hrs worked out well.

Norma

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »
Thank you Chau and Norma
You're pizzas always look amazing so I appreciate it

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 11:18:45 PM »
Awesome work Gianni!!
Bob

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 10:14:51 PM »
Gianni,

Not sure how high your ovens go in your pizzeria but here's a post from John Arena on what this flour is capable of at higher temps.

https://www.facebook.com/john.arena.161/posts/10208050780620685
Mike

I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.  - Jarod Kintz

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
What do you suppose he means by higher temps? 700-800? I'm not seeing NP temps. That pizza looks flat as a pancake. Half of it looks like there is no cornicione, and the crust looks about 1/4" thick in the center.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Gianni5

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:12 PM »
Mike,
I have the pizzamaster and 750 is pretty much the max temp on the deck I can go without getting burnt bottoms. I actually cooked a pie at 700 with the same dough I used for the NY pies. It was more tender than I was expecting with very little crunch. Cooked for about 3 minutes. Also it browned very evenly probably because of the malted flour plus a bit of oil in the dough.
Here's a pic

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »
What do you suppose he means by higher temps? 700-800? I'm not seeing NP temps. That pizza looks flat as a pancake. Half of it looks like there is no cornicione, and the crust looks about 1/4" thick in the center.

700F. Not WFO temps but still impressive, imo.
Mike

I talked to a calzone for fifteen minutes last night before I realized it was just an introverted pizza. I wish all my acquaintances were so tasty.  - Jarod Kintz

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
Mike,
I have the pizzamaster and 750 is pretty much the max temp on the deck I can go without getting burnt bottoms. I actually cooked a pie at 700 with the same dough I used for the NY pies. It was more tender than I was expecting with very little crunch. Cooked for about 3 minutes. Also it browned very evenly probably because of the malted flour plus a bit of oil in the dough.
Here's a pic

Looks awesome!  :chef:
Mike

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 07:47:46 AM »
....I'm definitely curious enough to keep experimenting even though it's almost double the cost of the gm flour I'm currently using.
Double the cost is not such a big deal for us home bakers, but I could see it being a problem for a commercial operation. I bet they will make price adjustments if they want to increase volume & make more placements.
Pies look good!

wordpress