Author Topic: Re: Pizza Town Clone  (Read 9702 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Pizza Town Clone
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »
I recently tried Pizza Town's pizza on the NY/NJ Pizza tour 2012 and really like it a lot.   Working off of how I know to make pizza and the little info here and there, here is tonight's attempt at the PT slice.   I did not achieve it exactly, but it is within the ball park.  I will have to keep tweaking it.  I don't know how close I can get to it ultimately but I don't believe it is possible to recreate the crust exactly unless one is using the same flour and baking it in the same oven.  But a very similar quality of crust should be achieveable in the home setting.

You can see more pictures of their pizza in the restaurant and review thread here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13112.0.html

These first 3 pics are from Pizza Town to serve as reference.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:16:29 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
First pie, not enough sauce and not enough cheese or cheese not thick enough.  I was going by what I remember from Scott123's posted video.  Also the bottom was not dark enough.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BEwJeocY&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li7BEwJeocY&amp;feature=related</a>

-Block cheese sliced in the same fashion.
-thin sauce, dash of oregano, cheese, bake 4 min plus.  

This flour is Guisto's High Performer flour.  I used this flour b/c I have several 5lb bags of it and I noticed that it has the potential for similar bottom crust coloration.   I'm not sold on this flour for NY slice though.  I will either go back to using Sam's Club HG flour or I will be doing a 50/50 blend of it with a BF.  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:30:45 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
a few more pics from the first pie.  Crust was just a tad too thin IMO and not tender enough.  Crunch was also not prominent enough.   

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
2nd pie, bake it at just a bit higher temp in the LBE and got a darker bottom with better crunch.  A bit more cheese which was better, so next time I might slice the cheese just a tad thicker. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
A few more pics...

As I look more at the pics, this flour just wasn't the right flour for this task.  I like the bottom crust coloration but I'll have to try another flour.  Can anyone source the flour that Pizza Town uses?   I'd be happy to order some and give it a try if anyone knows what flour they use and where to get some. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:44:15 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »
Impressive Chau! You cant just thow that beauty up there without somne Splainin!  what type of flour are you using tomatoes... temp time  you know all the goodies that us freaks need to know.
Anyway very close I think the cheese is a fraction thicker and maybe quater those block pieces? Just a touch more ( overlap)  in some places bottom looks spot on. Nice work NHmnn maybe I 'll go there for a slice tomorrow  ;D   way to rub it in right ? Just kidding
I am shaking the webs out of the Mobile tomorrow time to dry her up after a long winters nap !
62%, .27 salt and  .17 IDY is fermenting at 65 right now I am also trying your Bulk for 20 hr and ball
for 6-8
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »
Thanks John.  You are damn lucky to be so close to their pizza.  If I was that close, I wouldn't even be banging my head against the wall over here.  I'm just not there yet to post anything worthwhile.   I don't mind posting up the numbers, but will refrain from posting up too much about methods and such.  I just don't want to get ahead of myself just yet.  

Flour Guisto's High Performer
Water 66%
IDY 0.6% (1 hour RT bulk, 2 day CF)
salt 2.2%
shortening 2%

Bake temp in the LBE 625-650F on the hearth.  
Bake time 4 min 30 sec or around there.  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:32:15 PM by Jackie Tran »

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »
Yeah Chau,  its hard some days to decide whether to go to Vesta , Amano, or Pizza Town but luckily I have time during the wekk for those stops.
Thanks for posting !

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 04:48:08 AM »
Chau,

Looks like you did a great job on your Pizza Town pizzas!   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

Pizza Town Clone
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:30:32 PM »
Thanks for the nice words Norma.  

Here is another attempt at the Pizza Town clone.  This is about my 5th try or so and the closest one.  I did bake the bottom too dark but I should be able to fix that next time.   I was able to find a spot that wasn't too burned for a picture.

Definitely as crispy as the slices I remembered from the pizza tour.

Let me know what you guys think.

Here's a video of a slice from this pie.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5yboirOor8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5yboirOor8</a>

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:32:57 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »
a few pics of the crumb.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
I've never been to Pizza town but that pie looks awesome!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »
I think it looks better than Pizza Town!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 07:03:16 AM »
I have never been to Pizza Town, but comparing the first pics with your last round - you nailed it. I would love to be able to make pizza like this.

John

Offline communist

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
Very nice pie Chau!  I have never been to Pizza Town, but got to get out there.  Your last pie looks very good, but my daughter may give you trouble on it.  From the whole pie pic, it is starting to resemble a cheese down first, then tomato sauce, which I prefer, but my daughter frowns upon.  I see puddles of red which I love, but she doesn't like.  Did Pizza Town have those sauce islands?  I agree that one can get too crisp - I have kept my pie in the oven for a couple of minutes longer for more crisp, and have been cited for having a "dry" dough.  My comprimise is a steel bake at 530 with broiler assist ( 45 seconds ) for 3 1/2 minutes, then drop to stone below for 1 minute to get the moderate crisp my wife likes.  Scott 123 told me I can just keep it on the steel for another minute for the same effect, and he is probably right, but I usually cook 4 or 5 pies in a row and like the thermal mass in my oven.  Pleasing different tastes in my family is getting to me!  Great pies Chau, thanks for your efforts, and thank you for sharing your research and knowledge.  Mark

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
Thank you guys!  Steve (& Norma), Mark and John, Pizza Town and New Park pizza were my 2 favorite slice joints on the recent tour.  I gave the edge to Pizza Town, but in all honesty I wouldn't turn down either pies.  If you all are in their respective neighborhoods, definitely a do not miss opportunity and worth going out of your way for.

Eventhough all the pizza we ate was really good on the tour, Pizza Town was one of the 2 places that had me hoping there were leftover slices and reaching for a 2nd slice.  Whatever it is, it just woke my brain up!  I think it is also Scott123's favorite slice joint.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:41:55 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »
Very nice pie Chau!  I have never been to Pizza Town, but got to get out there.  Your last pie looks very good, but my daughter may give you trouble on it.  From the whole pie pic, it is starting to resemble a cheese down first, then tomato sauce, which I prefer, but my daughter frowns upon.  I see puddles of red which I love, but she doesn't like.  Did Pizza Town have those sauce islands?  I agree that one can get too crisp - I have kept my pie in the oven for a couple of minutes longer for more crisp, and have been cited for having a "dry" dough.  My comprimise is a steel bake at 530 with broiler assist ( 45 seconds ) for 3 1/2 minutes, then drop to stone below for 1 minute to get the moderate crisp my wife likes.  Scott 123 told me I can just keep it on the steel for another minute for the same effect, and he is probably right, but I usually cook 4 or 5 pies in a row and like the thermal mass in my oven.  Pleasing different tastes in my family is getting to me!  Great pies Chau, thanks for your efforts, and thank you for sharing your research and knowledge.  Mark

Thank you for the nice words Mark.  The puddles of red are sauce poking through, but it is also bits of pepperoni that I chopped up and sprinkled all over the pie.   I also put honey and a bit of crushed pepper.  I am totally addicted to pepperoni and honey pies!  

As for the dryness, are you using any oil or shortening in your dough and how much?

Maybe someone can clarify this, but I've found a difference between an extra minute of baking versus a standard bake, slight cool down, and then a reheat prior to serving.   I know it's not ideal for serving 4-5 pies back to back, but can someone clarify if pizza town is doing a straight bake for most of their pies and just reheating some pies for slices, or are they reheating all their pies.   This is really important and could be a key aspect to getting their bottom crust texture.  The reheat is definitely one way to get that extra crisp if that is what you crave.

Chau
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:39:53 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline David Deas

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »
That's really a great job cloning, Chau.

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »
OK Live or Memorex??
after reading this for a few days I had the Hankering for a few (or more ) slicies of Pizza Town So.... I just happento be abnout 10 mion utes fromn there around 1:30 today and don't  you know that darn car just headed right there  ??? still one of my all time favotrite slices !
Chau I grabbed a few pics for your review and comparison. Your bottom is spot on with the micro blisters  and char. Rim is also right sized.  The Timing is key here a PTown.It  gets sloppy fthey are too busy  and straight out of the oven,and I like the reheat on this slice a lot. They reheat whole pies at one even if someone asks for 2 slice because they know in a NY minute someones coming in to grab the rest ! that was me! if it cools aoof too much they reheat a second time creating that crispy crunch and darker bottom you created chau !  1st 2 slices came from under the counter but were warm and crispy  but not roof burning! here they are. The girls were not there but the brother was making and has a heavier hand on the oregano which you can see beloe and I really dont favor that much. I also notice a squirt of olive oil  from a ketchup sized bottle that I never saw before?? Stilll very happy to be there  for lunch.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:59:41 PM by JConk007 »

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:08 PM »
Bet ya cant eat just 2 ! I was really doing it just for Chau ! Ya right  here the 3rd from a different pie little lighter on top 1 reheat
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:02:07 PM by JConk007 »