Author Topic: Re: Pizza Town Clone  (Read 10090 times)

Offline jason83

Re: Re: Pizza Town Clone
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »
Thanks Chau.  I appreciate your quick reply.  I will experiment with the shortening and let everyone know what I find/think.  I've only used IDY and your point makes sense.  But hopefully I can get my hands on some CY and try it out.

Jason

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizza Town Clone
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
Bob and Chau,

It is on the boardwalk thread that I am interested in trying shortening in the dough.  Someone on that thread did post that shortening is used in the Mackís dough.  I did try shortening one time, but must not have used the right amount or mixed it wrong.  I am using Kyrol flour on that thread, which is a bleached and bromated flour.  Mackís did start back in the 50ís and is in NJ also.  Their bottom crust isnít crunchy, but is a little crisp.

Thanks to both of you for helping me understand how much shortening to add and what to expect.

Bob, Thanks for the link to the kind of oil Craig likes.  I did request a sample.  I wonder what kind of shortening was used back in the 50ís at pizzerias.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
Hey all you pizza town lovers!
Just reporting another data point here...ordered a pie last night (1.5 toppings) and bake time was 5 minutes almost on the dot. This is of course consistent with what we know already, but since I usually just order slices, I took out the stopwatch so we could all gain a little from the pie I enjoyed.

Sean

Offline communist

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »
PizzaSean,  Thanks for the bake data.  What a pizza place!  One of the finest, if not the finest, NY pizza shops around.  I gotta get out there soon - last visit was phenomenal.  Thinking of slicing my cheese like they do ( I know Scott123 cautions me!).  It seems more convenient than hand grating.  Having 11 of my daughters teenage friends over for a pizza party Saturday afternoon.  The steel will be hot and the pizzas fllying out of the oven!   Mark

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
Sounds fun! Ill be doing the same for my brother's birthday this weekend! I may give their cheese style a chance this time around too, just as an experiment! What are the cautions?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2012, 12:35:39 AM »
  I wonder what kind of shortening was used back in the 50ís at pizzerias.

Norma 
pork lard?
We used it commercially in the early 70's....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2012, 03:29:40 AM »
Hey all you pizza town lovers!
Just reporting another data point here...ordered a pie last night (1.5 toppings) and bake time was 5 minutes almost on the dot. This is of course consistent with what we know already, but since I usually just order slices, I took out the stopwatch so we could all gain a little from the pie I enjoyed.

Great reconnaissance, Sean. The more data points, the better. Was this Bruce (thinning hair, no moustache) or Michele?

scott123

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2012, 03:42:41 AM »
Thinking of slicing my cheese like they do ( I know Scott123 cautions me!).

Mark, Grande/Grande clones have superior meltability, so, if you're using Grande, then it might be more forgiving of slices, but I think the most critical aspect of this approach is that the slices are as thin as potato chips. At the moment, I can't think of any home equipment that will achieve this.  A food processor definitely won't, nor will a box grater. If you have access to a commercial meat slicer, then that would give you the necessary thickness- the square slices you get from using a grande loaf and a meat slicer work well.

Whatever you end up with, make sure to test it side by side with grated mozzarella. Make sure to bubble/brown the two pies as equally as possible and compare the taste and appearance between the two.

Sean, the larger the piece of cheese, the longer it takes to melt.  Grated cheese melts far more easily than sliced.  Sliced cheese, because of it's melting impairment, will have a greater tendency to brown rather than bubble, oil off less, and produce an end result that's less buttery and flavorful.

Offline communist

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »
Mark, Grande/Grande clones have superior meltability, so, if you're using Grande, then it might be more forgiving of slices, but I think the most critical aspect of this approach is that the slices are as thin as potato chips.  If you have access to a commercial meat slicer, then that would give you the necessary thickness- the square slices you get from using a grande loaf and a meat slicer work well.

Thanks for the advice Scott!  I am looking for a reasonable commercial meat slicer - any experience out there with good models?  I am looking at one for about 130 bucks.  I think it is a chef's choice.  Mark

scott123

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
Mark, the way I understand meat slicers is that you get what you pay for.  The $130ish slicers on Amazon get half decent reviews, but I don't trust them.  It won't be $130, but if you buy a slicer, I'd get a used commercial unit.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »

Offline communist

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2012, 03:23:09 PM »
How about partially frozen and sliced on a mandolin?
  Yes, Bob, a good idea, and I have sliced the mozzarella using a V cutter mandoline.  It is a bit cumbersome, a bit dangerous, and laborious.  It does work, but I need something better.  I did pick up a microplane cheese slicer, but it is just OK.  The handle came loose even though I got the "commerical" stainless steel model.   In the past I have partially frozen my mozzarella for use in the Cuisinart cheese grater, but I am concerned that freezing the cheese may make it water out and change the meltability.  Any thoughts on that?  Thanks Mark

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
  Yes, Bob, a good idea, and I have sliced the mozzarella using a V cutter mandoline.  It is a bit cumbersome, a bit dangerous, and laborious.  It does work, but I need something better.  I did pick up a microplane cheese slicer, but it is just OK.  The handle came loose even though I got the "commerical" stainless steel model.   In the past I have partially frozen my mozzarella for use in the Cuisinart cheese grater, but I am concerned that freezing the cheese may make it water out and change the meltability.  Any thoughts on that?  Thanks Mark
Hey Mark,
Well first of all you're not going to be putting a hard freeze on the cheese so I don't see any concern for water problems. Actually, I usually only buy in bulk and I've never had problems with freezing....that includes Grande, both shredded and block.
Here is a link to a $40 slicer that has worked unbelievably well for me and I have seen them in retail stores also. Now it's not something that will hold up to everyday use prolly but this stupid 'lil plastic(steel searated blade)slicer has served me well for about 5 yrs. now.....I can shave roast beef thinner than Arby's on that dude!  8)
Bob

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Adjustable-Compact-Slicer-Fence/dp/B006ZB9GQW/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
How about partially frozen and sliced on a mandolin?
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B0000DAQ8B/?tag=pizzamaking-20

That's what I use Bob.  Works for me.  I cut the block up into manageable pieces.

Offline PizzaSean

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2012, 05:36:08 PM »
Scott -

This was Michele.

First time I ever got pepperoni there - interesting chunks/slices style they have! Quite tasty also...reminded me a lot of the rosa grande I usually use.