Author Topic: NYT Article: In Manhattan Pizza War, Price of Slice Keeps Dropping  (Read 1271 times)

Offline ogdred

Apparently, you can get a slice for 75 cents in Manhattan...

In the amped-up war of commerce and 75-cent pizza on the Avenue of the Americas in Midtown, a perilous moment is approaching. Circumstances suggest that ravenous New Yorkers might soon witness 50-cent pizza, 25-cent pizza or, yes, free pizza.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/nyregion/in-manhattan-pizza-war-price-of-slice-keeps-dropping.html

Offline TXCraig1

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Giggliato

Re: NYT Article: In Manhattan Pizza War, Price of Slice Keeps Dropping
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »
That's for a slice of cheese right? Or do they offer that price on the pepperoni as well? I would be out there every day eating those slices if I lived in new york, well as long as they were good, but for 75 cents? Who knows? The quality has to take a hit I am sure.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
Bloomberg has a video on the NY pizza slice price war at http://www.bloomberg.com/video/90075297/.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »
The cheap slices you can get in New York are tiny (like 14" pies cut into 8), and they're made with crap ingredients, then baked on screens in conveyor ovens by people who know nothing about pizza. Real NY slices (in Manhattan) cost $2.50 to $3.00 per cheese slice. Unfortunately a lot of the real NY slice joints have gone out of business. Like Ray's of Greenwich Village on 6th Avenue & 11th Street and Ray's Pizzaria on Prince Street.

The state of pizza in Manhattan is not pretty. I spent a week there last fall, eating exclusively pizza from slice joints (as well as a couple slices of cheesecake). There are only two slice joints that I thought were any good: Bleecker Street Pizza and RayBari. I heard good things about Sal & Carmines (I think that's what it's called, at Broadway & 108th, maybe), but their pizza tasted like salt. I bought one cheap slice from a joint near Times Square, and I'll never buy another one.

Cheap slices in New York are not NY slices, OK. It's not a price war, either. It's just crap pizza. New York is not the same pizza city as it was only a year and a half ago, and it probably never will be again.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:29:28 PM by AimlessRyan »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »
The cheap slices you can get in New York are tiny (like 14" pies cut into 8),
That was supposed to say: 14" pies cut into 8.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
Ryan (and others),

Sometimes a smiley will appear in a post instead of the number 8. If that happens, you can modify the post to correct that problem by clicking on "Don't use smileys." The problem only occurs for the number 8 and not for every use of the number 8.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »
It's an 8 followed by a closing parenthesis that is the problem. Just put a space between the 8 and the paren. 8) vs. 8 )
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan