Author Topic: Are you from central Ohio? Then speak up here.  (Read 7413 times)

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
Re: Are you from central Ohio? Then speak up here.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
Hello central Ohioans,

I am in Pickerington and officially labeled a pizza geek by my family, but they always seem to backpedal when they want me to make them pizza. Anyway, keeping it short, a member here since '04 and bake in a WFO I built about 4 yrs ago.

John

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Sweet. This thread actually snagged someone I didn't already know about.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Howdy John! Next week is slice of columbus! If you're planning on going, we should meet up there.
I'm a mobile WFO guy, but didn't build mine.

Nice to make your acquaintance!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »

weemis, yes my family and I will be at Slice, we usually don't miss the annual mass consumption of pizza. If you want to meet up PM me and we can hash out the details.

It is nice to "meet"/see a few central Ohio pizza geeks openly admitting their addiction.

JG

Offline fatzo

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
Hey Guys:

New the Board, and got an invite to this thread {thanks Weemis}!!

Rather than a geek, I would probably consider myself a "derelict" when it comes to pizza. I Definitely hope to get to know everyone better thru local events, and also thru other posts on this site. Ryan, your Tommy's thread pushed me over the edge as far as being an active participant on this board. I'll be posting there soon...

John

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
so we've got geeks, dorks and derelicts here in central ohio... what must the rest of the population think of us here?  :-D

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »
This month's Pizza outing is tonight! Sorry I didn't post this earlier. We're heading out to reynoldsburg to a place called Pie's Gourmet Pizza at 7:30. If you're feelin the pizza urge, come on out and be a part of the fun! 

http://piesgourmet.com/

Offline shawn1234

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
Hey, can I get in on this?  I'm in Dublin, used to live in Grandview just down the street from Bono.  Ahhh, I miss those pies.  So yeah, my wife regularly calls me a pizza nerd, freak, not derelict yet, but that's probably appropriate.  I've done some good experimenting with Varasano's recipe and have sourced all kinds of ingredients in bulk that normally would just go to a restaurant.  Let me know when the next meeting is.

Thanks,

Shawn

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Hey, can I get in on this?  I'm in Dublin, used to live in Grandview just down the street from Bono.  Ahhh, I miss those pies.  So yeah, my wife regularly calls me a pizza nerd, freak, not derelict yet, but that's probably appropriate.  I've done some good experimenting with Varasano's recipe and have sourced all kinds of ingredients in bulk that normally would just go to a restaurant.  Let me know when the next meeting is.

Thanks,

Shawn

Yeah Shawn! We do a monthly pizza outing usually on the wednesday closest to the middle of the month (sometimes we miss one or schedules cause us to switch out, but it's always on wednesday). I'll try and post the next one with a little warning so you can prepare, but you're welcome to come tonight if you can make it. Just let me know so we can make the proper arrangements/reservations. This place is fancy.

Offline shawn1234

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
Thanks Nick.  Don't think I can swing it tonight becaus of a cub scout pack meeting at 7:00.  But this sounds like a lot of fun.  I've really been wanting to meet up with some other pizza junkies here in C-bus, knew they were out there, to trade ideas and get feedback.  I come from a baking background (family owns a 4th generation bakery in Cincinnati) so this is really something I love.  I mainly shoot for Neapolitan and NY style.  Just hacking my oven and other tweaks, no WFO (Don't I wish!).  Going to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix this Dec, should be fun.  Looks like you've got a sweet setup.  Bono pizza is the best I've found in C-bus for Neapolitan.  I'm also a fan of Flying Pizza and Adriatico's.  Neither is perfect, but they each have their own unique charm, and hey, we live in C-bus, right, so you take what you can get.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
you should try harvest pizza. so good.
We'll meet up some day and talk all things pizza.

until then!

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
Shawn, be glad you didn't make it to this pizza outing!
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21583.new.html#new

Offline shawn1234

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 02:12:58 PM »
That sounds awful.  Have you guys tried Bono in grandview?  It is a total hole in the wall, very limited seating, only accept cash, but they know what they are doing.  Exceptional pizza. 

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
I bought my Mobile WFO from the owner. Good Pizza! Harvest is better  :chef:

Offline 333meg

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »
Hey, hey! No way! So I just joined this forum yesterday having no clue abt the Columbus contingent present here. All I can say is wow. Check out my newbie post. Ummm yes Mr. Ryan about Tommy's??? I just can't believe it. So hey all, very nice to make your acquaintance. Mr.Weemis found me somehow and I've replied to his post. Any other girls in your Columbus Pizza Geek group or what?

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 04:37:40 PM »
the pizza geek group is really only me, my wife and my 16 month old, then whatever real life friends want to join me (not so pizza geekish). ryan came to a couple, and I met him on the forum, and JAG happened to be going to slice of Columbus, so we met up there. Mostly non-pizza geeks, with me judging harshly with each new stop. Anyone's welcome to join in the fun, which is why I started posting each place here.
 :pizza:

Offline shawn1234

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
Well, I am a bonified pizza geek.  It is an obsession.  I really have a passion for baking of all kinds - particularly breads, pies, etc.  But I always come back to pizza.  If you are ever in Cincinnati, I will hook you up wit a tour and a couple bags of goodies at Busken Bakery, our family business. 

btw/ do you know of anyway to get grande cheese here in central ohio?  My next step was going to be calling a bunch of local joints to see if they'll sell me some on the side.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
Ohio is home to some great pizza people....ask me how I know.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
the pizza geek group is really only me, my wife and my 16 month old, then whatever real life friends want to join me (not so pizza geekish). ryan came to a couple...

I'll almost certainly show up again. I intended to keep going every month, but I guess I've just been focused on other things the last few months. Also, I've made at least one pizza almost every day since sometime in July. (I think I've missed four days; Cedar Point trip and a funeral.)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
btw/ do you know of anyway to get grande cheese here in central ohio?  My next step was going to be calling a bunch of local joints to see if they'll sell me some on the side.

The cheese vendor at the North Market used to sell Grande mozzarella; probably still does. Warning: He gets it shipped one loaf at a time, probably from http://www.pennmac.com, which you can do yourself without a middleman. Also, he seems to have no aversion to leaving the cheese out at room temperature for extended periods (which is one reason why I stopped buying from him). Also, I'd say there's a good chance you'll get over-aged cheese if you buy from him. But you asked, so I answered.

A Grande sales rep (or an RDP salesman) once suggested to me that I ask New York Pizzeria in Pickerington if they'd sell me cheese. He seemed pretty confident that they would sell it to me. Although I have been to Pizzeria New York once, I didn't ask if they'd sell me any. But you might want to give them a try.

http://www.vernscheese.com is a good source, too, especially with the change of season making shipping a more viable option. Having ordered from them several times, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I'd almost certainly be willing to split up a case of Grande mozzarella with other people if enough people are interested. In fact, I think one of the reasons I started this thread was in hopes of finding people who might be game for splitting up cases. Right now I'd be willing to buy three bags or three loaves if I knew of some other local folks who'd be willing to split up the rest of the case.

EDIT: Changed "no issues with" to "no aversion to" because it seemed indicate the exact opposite of what I meant.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:14:32 AM by AimlessRyan »

pizzapan