Author Topic: Are you from central Ohio? Then speak up here.  (Read 7030 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Are you from central Ohio? Then speak up here.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 10:04:38 PM »
Hey Ryan,
There is another very recent thread(that seems to have gone dead)about another member offering to score some Grande for us other less fortunates..very nice of you to step up to the plate. I'll PM you.

p.s. welcome back Crimson... 8) 
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
Depending on what kind of Grande Cheese you're trying to get, I can get it from RDP food distributors. I've been buying 6 lbs of Grande fresh mozz for about $25, which is a great price. I haven't bought any other Grande products yet, but they're available. I just have to price them and find out the quantities.

also thinking about buying a 25 lb box of Ezzo 38 mm pepperoni without casings. Could freeze some, but would love to split that if someone else wanted some, as $100 of pepperoni is a bit much for my small scale self.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline shawn1234

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
Yeah, I'd definitely be in for a split of cheese or pep.  Have heard good things about some of Grande's blends, particularly italian blend.  That's what I was going after.  But loaves certainly freeze and taste better.  I've had mixed results with Whole Milk.  Sometimes it results in "too much cheese" syndrome on the pizzas and you just have a globular mess.  And the flavor just seems a bit bland.  That's why I'd like to go after some blends.  Or perhaps that requires buying some provo-nello and mozz and mixing myself.  Thoughts?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Has anyone heard of this cheese blend that Penn Mac is talking about. It is pretty expen$ive,especially if you use the Park brand provo they suggest...http://www.pennmac.com/page/27/pizza-baking-supplies

Please scroll down to the "F&A Whole Milk Mozz"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:49:01 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »
I've got a list of RDP products and quantities at home (working right now). I'll check out what they offer and post it here in the next couple days. I think they have a 50-50 mozz provo shredded if you're into that. I'm gearing up for an order for some upcoming gigs, so lets have all this worked out and purchased by the end of next week if we're a go.

I also regularly pick up 7/11 ground tomatoes by the case from them if that's something you need.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
I'll almost certainly show up again. I intended to keep going every month, but I guess I've just been focused on other things the last few months. Also, I've made at least one pizza almost every day since sometime in July. (I think I've missed four days; Cedar Point trip and a funeral.)

I knew you couldn't stay away :P

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
Depending on what kind of Grande Cheese you're trying to get, I can get it from RDP food distributors. I've been buying 6 lbs of Grande fresh mozz for about $25, which is a great price. I haven't bought any other Grande products yet, but they're available. I just have to price them and find out the quantities.

also thinking about buying a 25 lb box of Ezzo 38 mm pepperoni without casings. Could freeze some, but would love to split that if someone else wanted some, as $100 of pepperoni is a bit much for my small scale self.

I'm after whole milk mozzarella, Nick. Can't get that at RDP in quantities smaller than 30 lbs (shredded/diced) or 56 lbs (loaves).

I may be interested in going in on a case of Ezzo 38 mm pepperoni, but only if it's their GiAntonio brand (which I figure is not what you're after). I don't know, though, because I kinda like the pepperoni I've been getting from Carfagna's. The pre-sliced stuff they keep in the deli case; not the Margherita stick. (Margherita pepperoni stick sucks, by the way, if anyone has been wondering.)

Right now I have about a pound and a half of pepperoni, which hasn't been disappearing very quickly because I've been focused on making deep dish lately. With that much pepperoni in the fridge right now, I'm in no hurry to get more pepperoni. (If anyone's interested in my deep dish adventures, I recently received some tin-plated steel deep dish pans.)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
What is THE recommended Grande brand cheese for NY style pizza?

Ryan,did you use whole milk on your recent pies done out on the grill or are you after this for your DD experiments? Or both?  :D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »
Ooh-ooh, Mista Kotta (I mean Bob): I don't know if you should welcome me back quite yet, as I'm still not sure if I'm back for good or if I'm just here today. Believe it or not, I'm still pretty pissed about the "leaders" of this web site wiping out that one thread several weeks ago. And in case I wasn't clear in my "Kindergarten" thread, I'm not pissed because they wiped out MY posts, which I'm pretty sure were not responsible for getting the thread deleted. Rather, I'm pissed because they showed such little respect for the time and effort of everyone who contributed to that thread, which wasn't even close to being offensive (from the perspective of any reasonable person).

In fact, after I spoke my mind in "Kindergarten," I received several PMs from people expressing their agreement that it was pretty ridiculous for any mod (or owner) to even consider zapping that thread. And these PMs were from people who probably don't reside on the same side of the political spectrum as me. Also, these people made it very clear that they value my contributions to these boards, which is the exact opposite of the message the mods/owner sent to everyone who contributed to the now-deleted thread. One of the people who contacted me (who is a very important pizzamaking.com contributor) even took the time to write a reasonably long email to me, urging me to stick around and try to forget about it.

Which is very cool to me. I appreciate that these people took the time to contact me and let me know they appreciate my contributions. But I didn't get anything like that from a mod or owner, nor do I have reason to believe anyone else received anything like that from them. No apologies and nothing saying "It wasn't you" (which wouldn't have been an acceptable response, anyway, considering my issue is not a selfish issue). Rather, all I got from the mods was censored. And that's exactly what some of the people who contacted me got from them, too.

And that's wrong. Not just a little wrong, but very wrong.

I would understand if the moderator (or more likely the web site owner) chose to delete or lock a thread that had become vicious or dangerously counterproductive to the mission of this web site, but the thread in question wasn't even close to that. It was merely a discussion that had become somewhat argumentative. If the mods/owner had just stayed out of it, this thread would have died on its own within a couple days, and everyone would have forgotten it.

But apparently ONE PERSON believes his ability to censor the people who have made this web site successful is more important than the valuable content and the valuable time those people DONATE to this web site.

So if my contributions are so unappreciated that one person believes it is acceptable to selfishly wipe out the product of the valuable time I spent writing them, and if other people's contributions are so unappreciated that one person believes it is acceptable to selfishly wipe out the products of the valuable time they spent writing them, why should I even consider giving that person more opportunities to steal another second of my valuable time? Why should YOU consider giving that person more opportunities to steal another second of your valuable time?

I mean, how do I know this post won't be deleted, even though I think the people who have the power to delete it should be extremely interested in considering the point of view I'm expressing here?

That's the same question that goes through my mind EVERY SINGLE TIME I consider donating my valuable time to writing a new post on these boards now, even several weeks after it all went down. So why should I even think about contributing here? And why should anyone else?

I don't need pizzamaking.com. Rather, pizzamaking.com needs me... and Scott... and Craig... and Bob... and Nick... and everyone else who participates on pizzamaking.com.

I still value pizzamaking.com, and I appreciate that it's here. I want to participate on pizzamaking.com, and I've missed pizzamaking.com since I stopped participating. I even link to pizzamaking.com pretty regularly in the blog I created after I stopped participating here. And I say great things about pizzamaking.com on my new blog, too.

But I want to make it very clear that my interest in pizzamaking.com is not a result of decisions made by the owner of this site. If it was, then I guess I would have become a member in about 2003, rather than 2010. But I wasn't a member in 2003 because pizzamaking.com wasn't useful to me until years later.

Why not? Because the members are what make this site useful to me, and most of the members weren't around for the first few years.

This site is what it is because of the members. And if the owner thinks otherwise, then someday there won't be any members. If the owner doesn't appreciate the valuable time we donate to his web site to make it appealing to others--if the owner continues to censor us because he thinks these boards are all about what he wants, rather than what we want--then someday these valuable members will disappear and start a new place to share their valuable knowledge and discoveries about how to make pizza.

So if anyone hasn't noticed that I've started a pizza blog (which I think is a very good blog), you are officially invited to participate on A Snarky Prick's Guide to Making Amazing Pizza. If you choose to comment on this blog, your contributions will be respected, and they will never be deleted by the blog's owner. That is, I will not treat you like you are a kindergartener.

So that's where I am right now, Bob.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2012, 04:12:23 PM »
What is THE recommended Grande brand cheese for NY style pizza?

Ryan,did you use whole milk on your recent pies done out on the grill or are you after this for your DD experiments? Or both?  :D

I think East Coast Blend may be the recommended type of mozzarella for NY style, although I usually go for whole milk mozzarella and I can't say I've ever had any issues with part-skim. I think the east coast blend is a 50/50 mix of those two. Here's how I feel about Grande: If I have some, I'm happy (as long as it's mozzarella that hasn't been horribly and intentionally mishandled).

Yeah, I think I did use whole milk mozzarella for the pizzas I made on the grill, but it was Polly-O. I've been using GFS whole milk lately, for mostly deep dish pizzas (because even though it's not the best freaking stuff ever, it's only about $2.50 a pound and I don't have to buy the entire case to get that price; and because they'll slice it for me at GFS, and at least a couple other good reasons.)

Man, you ask me stuff like you think I'm some kind of expert or something.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
Ryan,
Thanks so much for all your input and time you put into your last post. I believe that you have made good ,heartfelt topic points...as is your passionate way/style. And I think that this sort of passion (for better or worse) is problematic to the concerns of the owner/moderators. They are like us dude...learning as we go. It is most beneficial that Steve came forward and made it clear that he don't want politics or religion to be discussed on HIS site. Unfortunately, we (including you) weren't all privy to this ideal and you, along with others (including me) have seen censorship. Hell, I come back the next day and see where a thread has been chopped up because a power that be didn't like the way I was talking to a "favored son"....no bad language, no noth'in...jus calling out the wrong guy I guess. I get blamed for using the wrong "tone"....heck, my "tone" is perfectly fine in my circle.
So this all just goes to the point of the matter.....this is a very busy "family" type of site that is quite taxing on the few that are in charge. They make mistakes(not often).....but I have recently realized that we have have a responsibility to help them with their job by trying to keep controversy's to a minimum. I know you police yourself fairly well, Ryan.
I like this place too but it is what it is.....it's"not our house" as they say.

Bob

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
Has anyone heard of this cheese blend that Penn Mac is talking about. It is pretty expen$ive,especially if you use the Park brand provo they suggest...http://www.pennmac.com/page/27/pizza-baking-supplies

Please scroll down to the "F&A Whole Milk Mozz"

Well, Bob, it's $7.49 a pound, and it looks like they sell Grande for about $4.50 a pound. I've never heard of F&A cheese, but with that kind of price, I'd certainly like to try it, to find out why it has that kind of price. However, with that kind of price, plus shipping, I ain't gonna try it. If I end up in Pittsburgh, I'll get some.

I too am curious if anyone knows anything about this cheese. I haven't done any research, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about it before. However, even though I know nothing about this brand of cheese, I have to assume part of the reason it costs so much per pound is because it's only available in 1 lb quantities.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
Yes it is interesting when they(Penn Mac)act like they are giving away some big secret." We don't want to give away secrets...but.... shred and mix half and half with the Park domestic provolone ball. That's all we are saying!!!!"
The REAL bad part is that the reccomended Park Provo to mix it with is like $9 something a lb.  :o
Now what restaurant(s) is this big secret attributed to....Hmmmm.  :-\

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
I just figured something out, Bob. It is marked up a whole bunch just because it's only a pound, rather than an entire loaf. The evidence is in the price of the 1 lb chunks of Grande mozzarella, which cost $7.99, compared to the entire loaf of Grande mozzarella, which costs $4.83 a pound, and the east coast blend (shredded), which costs $4.59 a pound.

What I can't figure out is why the shredded is cheaper per pound than the loaf.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
I just figured something out, Bob. It is marked up a whole bunch just because it's only a pound, rather than an entire loaf. The evidence is in the price of the 1 lb chunks of Grande mozzarella, which cost $7.99, compared to the entire loaf of Grande mozzarella, which costs $4.83 a pound, and the east coast blend (shredded), which costs $4.59 a pound.

What I can't figure out is why the shredded is cheaper per pound than the loaf.
Probably because they move more of the shred product(logistic and storage concerns)....?
Whatever, they charge too damn much for their stupid cheese and then hit ya with an additional 20% ship an handle at checkout. Dang burn Pirates!  >:D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
I've got a list of RDP products and quantities at home (working right now). I'll check out what they offer and post it here in the next couple days. I think they have a 50-50 mozz provo shredded if you're into that. I'm gearing up for an order for some upcoming gigs, so lets have all this worked out and purchased by the end of next week if we're a go.

I also regularly pick up 7/11 ground tomatoes by the case from them if that's something you need.

The end of next week would probably work well for me, as I'll probably be just about out of cheese by then. So the question is, Nick: Are you interested in going in on a cheese buy with either me or Shawn (or both of us)? I mean, you only use fresh mozzarella, right? If so, then you're not really part of the cheese equation. Another question I have is: Are you at all interested in Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni, rather than the regular Ezzo? If not, then I'm not part of the pepperoni equation, because that's the only pepperoni I'm interested in.

I use a few different tomato products for the different kinds of pizza I make, and I already have good sources for them, which means I'm not looking for anyone to split a case of tomato product with me.

So to be clear: I'm after 15 to 18 lbs of Grande whole milk mozzarella, but alternatively I may be open to buying the same amount of some other type or blend of Grande mozzarella. (I'm probably not interested in any blends containing provolone, and I'm definitely not interested in fresh mozzarella.) If we're going for shredded or diced, I'm after 15 lbs, but if it's by the loaf, then I'm after 18 lbs. Also, I'm interested in Ezzo GiAntonio 38 mm pepperoni; maybe 5 or 10 lbs.

So if I go with 15 lbs of shredded or diced cheese, will there be demand for the other 15 lbs? And if I go with 3 loaves (18 lbs), will there be demand for the remaining 5 loaves (30 lbs)? Because I'm probably not interested in buying any more than I've indicated.

Am I making sense here?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
When the dust settles, if you need a taker for the 30 lbs., Ryan, I'm in if you want to mess with sending it to me. I'd rather give you the extra 20% for handeling than give it to Penn Pirates... ;)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
When the dust settles, if you need a taker for the 30 lbs., Ryan, I'm in if you want to mess with sending it to me. I'd rather give you the extra 20% for handeling than give it to Penn Pirates... ;)

This is starting to make my head hurt. Think I'm gonna turn off the computer for the night and watch football, then Real Time.

Oh, by the way, I made an awesome deep dish tonight. First time using no salt in the dough, rather than 1% salt. Seems to have made a big positive difference.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »
Congratulations on the DD. I don't watch TV so don't worry, I'll prolly be here when you come back Kotter.  ;D

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2012, 04:50:33 AM »

The end of next week would probably work well for me, as I'll probably be just about out of cheese by then. So the question is, Nick: Are you interested in going in on a cheese buy with either me or Shawn (or both of us)? I mean, you only use fresh mozzarella, right? If so, then you're not really part of the cheese equation. Another question I have is: Are you at all interested in Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni, rather than the regular Ezzo? If not, then I'm not part of the pepperoni equation, because that's the only pepperoni I'm interested in.

I use a few different tomato products for the different kinds of pizza I make, and I already have good sources for them, which means I'm not looking for anyone to split a case of tomato product with me.

So to be clear: I'm after 15 to 18 lbs of Grande whole milk mozzarella, but alternatively I may be open to buying the same amount of some other type or blend of Grande mozzarella. (I'm probably not interested in any blends containing provolone, and I'm definitely not interested in fresh mozzarella.) If we're going for shredded or diced, I'm after 15 lbs, but if it's by the loaf, then I'm after 18 lbs. Also, I'm interested in Ezzo GiAntonio 38 mm pepperoni; maybe 5 or 10 lbs.

So if I go with 15 lbs of shredded or diced cheese, will there be demand for the other 15 lbs? And if I go with 3 loaves (18 lbs), will there be demand for the remaining 5 loaves (30 lbs)? Because I'm probably not interested in buying any more than I've indicated.

Am I making sense here?

Upon looking at their product list from the last food show (april, 2012) they list 3 giantonio pepperoni products under the Ezzo company (not sure what this means or how it relates). 38mm Dry K (not sure what the K means), 51mm sliced, and S.F.P. 38 mm Sliced (not sure what S.F.P means, either). They list no other 38mm pepperoni, so I must imagine that the pepperoni I got samples of was the GiAntonio. In this light, I'm down to split that pepperoni.

As for cheese, I use both dry and fresh mozz for pizza, though it's hard to justify buying both in large amounts. The only shreddeds i see in the book are a 50/50 mozz/provo and a provo and are listed a 6 5 lb bags. There's also a whole milk mozz that looks like it comes in 8 7 lb loafs, though i'm not sure I'm willing to shred that amount of cheese!

So to sum up, I'm down to split the S.F.P. pepperoni (even if i don't know what S.F.P. means). I'd be in for 10-15 lbs, whatever works out to be left after splitting it up. I don't think I'm interested in any cheese they have other than fresh mozz after looking at the options. I can get a 50/50 mozz provo in 5 lb bags at the co-op in clintonville for about $18 or so if needed, and I seem to like that cheese a little better. But if you and Shawn (or anyone else) were looking to split some cheese, I'd be happy to add it to the order.

The end of next week sounds perfect for me. We should have all this stuff hashed out by friday next. By the latest, I'll need this stuff by monday the 29th.

W00T!

pizzapan