Author Topic: Are you from central Ohio? Then speak up here.  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Are you from central Ohio? Then speak up here.
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
There's also a whole milk mozz that looks like it comes in 8 7 lb loafs, though i'm not sure I'm willing to shred that amount of cheese!

This is weird. The GFS and RDP product guides each list cases of Grande loaf as 8 7-pound loaves, as does the Grande web site. But pennmac lists Grande loaves as 6 lbs.

OK, so pennmac is wrong, right? I don't think so.

Having used many loaves of Grande mozzarella over the years, I'm pretty sure the loaves have always been 6 lbs. And if pennmac was selling 7 lbs of cheese for $28.95 (as listed), that would be ridiculously cheap for retail. Considering all this, I suspect the loaves are actually 6 lbs, not 7.

If so, why would the loaves be listed as 7 lbs by Grande, GFS, and RDP?

This is not making sense to me. Am I trippin' or something?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »
I alwasy thought that the 6lb. loaf was like an industry "standard" and also had something to do with the size of the box for a "case" of cheese(how it fits inside of a freezer/cooler).
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
I think it's that they express it as an average weight, just to give people a general idea of how much cheese each case contains (since it's impossible to produce loaves that all weigh the same). Still, it seems to me that Grande's loaves weigh much closer to 6 lbs than 7 lbs. If so, I can't figure out why they'd list it as 7 lbs, unless lying about it is a proven effective method of getting people to buy your product instead of another. But since cheese is always priced by the pound, I can't figure out how mislabeling it this way could possibly trick anyone.

I remain puzzled.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
Nick, since you're probably wondering about this stuff, just as I'm wondering about this stuff...

I don't know if anyone else is still interested in splitting up a case of Grande mozzarella, but I'm still in on the pepperoni with you, as long as you're still game for buying Ezzo GiAntonio. My assumption is that we'll buy it this Friday, as you mentioned. Perhaps we can meet at RDP or something. (Or maybe Tommy's on campus for lunch & espionage, then RDP.)

If anyone else is still interested in purchasing part of a case of Grande mozzarella, please speak up ASAP. I've tried to coordinate something that'll benefit at least a few of us, but everyone who seemed interested has gone silent. The longer it takes for people to speak up, the less likely I'll be willing to get in on it.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
25 lbs of pepperoni = 22 slices/oz = 352 slices/lb. Are you still interested in 10 lbs @ $4/lb ($40) if shawn isn't interested? I have a scale, so we can split it up at my house. I work friday all day. They have  9-noon pickup on saturday. Are you available for pick-up/lunch then? I'll be with my 16 month old, so be ready for that!

I'm ordering a case of 7/11 and 2 cases of fresh mozz, as well. should be an interesting week  :chef:
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »
25 lbs of pepperoni = 22 slices/oz = 352 slices/lb. Are you still interested in 10 lbs @ $4/lb ($40) if shawn isn't interested? I have a scale, so we can split it up at my house. I work friday all day. They have  9-noon pickup on saturday. Are you available for pick-up/lunch then? I'll be with my 16 month old, so be ready for that!

I'm ordering a case of 7/11 and 2 cases of fresh mozz, as well. should be an interesting week  :chef:

Yeah, I'm still interested in 10 lbs because I already know I like this stuff. Unlike cheese, I'm OK about freezing pepperoni. And the pepperoni I've been buying at Carfagna's is $7.99 a pound, which is ridiculous, even though it's by far the best pepperoni I can get locally without buying a case.

I guess I just assumed you were off on Fridays, since you were off on that one Friday when we originally planned to meet at Tommy's. Saturday should work fine, though. Also, I think OSU is at Penn State this week, which means campus & 315 shouldn't be a zoo. If the game is at noon, I'd probably like to meet you pretty early so I can try to get back home to see the game.

Man I wish the cases of regular mozzarella were as small as the cases of fresh mozzarella.

You got any ideas about the next pizza outing site yet?

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2012, 09:57:24 AM »
I'll call you after 5 today to work out the details for saturday.

Next Pizza outing on Nov 14th is still up in the air. I'm thinkin Iacono's on Kenny Rd.
Will report back with full details when they're hashed out.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »
Hello:  I am a NJ/NYC area transplant living in Granville.  I teach high school special education students through a working bakery at Newark High School - The Smiling with Hope Bakery.  My classroom is a commercial kitchen and there are 2 vintage blodgett 1000 ovens in it.  Anyone who would like to come by on a weekend and bake some pies is welcome.  Bring your dough and favorite sauce:D  Walter

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
That's great, Walter. Thanks! And that sounds like an awesome opportunity for special education students.

I'm in columbus and have a mobile wood fired oven. There are many sundays spent making pizza out back. I'll extend the same invite if anyone wants to play with a wood fired oven some sunday, though there is no commercial kitchen here. Lemme know if you're itchin to get in front of a WFO and we'll make it happen.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:56 AM »
That's great, Walter. Thanks! And that sounds like an awesome opportunity for special education students.

I'm in columbus and have a mobile wood fired oven. There are many sundays spent making pizza out back. I'll extend the same invite if anyone wants to play with a wood fired oven some sunday, though there is no commercial kitchen here. Lemme know if you're itchin to get in front of a WFO and we'll make it happen.

Thanks for the invite weemiss- I appreciate it!  The guy across the street from me has a wood fired oven in his backyard so I get my fill there.   If you want to mess with an old blodgett let me know.  I am in a special place for sure with my work- thanks! 

Offline Askurato

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
Hello Columbus native here! Just saying hi. I am a pizza newbie.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2013, 02:04:28 PM »
Hello Columbus native here! Just saying hi. I am a pizza newbie.

Hi Askurato:  As I stated in an earlier post, you are welcome to come and try your hand with some vintage blodgett 1000 deck ovens (Newark High School).  The weekends work best.  You state you are new to pizza making.  I was raised in the NYC/NJ pizza culture.  If you want to learn some of that let me know.  Walter

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
howdy, Askurato!  :chef:

Offline DaveInWesterville

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
I'm looking for a cheap/free source of wood in central Ohio to use for making pizza.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2013, 05:08:29 PM »
Hey, I'm having a pizza party this Saturday (8/17/13), in southwest Franklin County. If you can see this, then you're invited. I have a whole bunch more to say about it, but first I need to see if anything happens when I post a URL: http://ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com/.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
OK, so here's the deal: Pizza party all day Saturday, officially beginning at noon but more likely to get going after 1:00. I'll be making at least two NY style dough balls with each of the following flours: All Trumps bromated, All Trumps unbromated, and Power Flour. I'll also make enough dough for two 14" Malnati's style deep dish pizzas (with sausage from Carfagna's). I have pretty much nailed Tommy's in every way (which is not reflected in the Tommy's thread in the cracker section), so I'll make at least two Tommy's style pizzas. And my new project is Giordano's style stuffed pizza, which I tried cloning for the first time Tuesday. Even though I've never had Giordano's, I think I came pretty close, aside from the excess browning (http://ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-first-stuffed-pizza.html). Still, I made some changes to my dough formula (like using 0% sugar instead of 2% sugar), and I think the dough I made last night (for Saturday) will end up becoming the foundation for some pretty damn good pizza.

The house is 15 or 20 minutes from both Grove City (Stringtown) and the Westland Mall area, in the far southwest corner of Franklin County (near Darbydale). There is a map and directions on each of the pages I've linked to below.

I'll be using Grande whole milk mozzarella, Ezzo GiAntonio pepperoni, and a few different Stanislaus tomato products (7/11, Full-Red pizza sauce, and Alta Cucina whole tomatoes).

This will be my third pizza party this summer. There is a page on Facebook for it (https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/events/391214634313729/), but I haven't given many details on that page because almost everyone else I invited already knows what's up (because I've already had two parties).

Since I don't say much on the "Ryan's Pizza Party #3" page, here are links to the first to party pages on Facebook:

Party #1: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/events/547802298611132/.
Party #2: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/events/483378815078582/.

If you can see this, you are invited (even if you and I have never communicated), along with anyone you'd like to bring with you. If you plan to come, please let me know so I can best be prepared to serve my guests. I would love for any of y'all to show up.

EDIT: I had to fix all the Facebook links, and I'm still not sure if they're working because they all take me to my own Facebook feed. Someone please let me know if the links work for you. (Nevermind. I got it fixed.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:26:41 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »
Pizza Party #4 all day Saturday. If you can see this, you are invited. I'll be making four different styles of pizza, as listed on the Pizza Party #4 page.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »
Looks good Ryan and I am glad it went well!  Walter