Author Topic: Cracker Success! ...Thanks nick57!  (Read 955 times)

Offline JoeDSM

Cracker Success! ...Thanks nick57!
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »
Inspired by clarkth's crust pictures in reply 203, and using the formula nick57 posted in reply 217 of this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=18731.200 I gave this cracker crust a shot.

Holy crap!  This was some great pizza!  Might be my new go to crust!  Not sure what there is to improve on.  My only critique, and this is nit-picking, is the crust could be a hair more tender.

Some things I figured were worth mentioning:
  • I used corn oil, mostly because I love home run inn pizza which also calls for it  (speaking of HRI, I have yet to be able to replicate it, if anyone has tips let me know! I have tried at least 2 different formulations on this forum without any success)
  • I doubled the salt in nick57's formula
  • I used a food processor to combine the ingredients and did not knead the dough
  • I separated the dough into two roughly equal balls and fermented in plastic bags, 1 for 2 days and the other (pictured below) for 5 days
  • I spritzed a very small amount of oil on the crust after I rolled it out, not sure why, seemed like a good idea, and did not fold the dough onto itself like I have seen others do
  • I par baked it on a baking steel for 2-3 minutes at 555 degrees(as hot as my oven gets)
  • After dressing the pie I placed on the oven rack instead of the steel and finished at 555 degrees for 5-6 minutes

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Cracker Success! ...Thanks nick57!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:01:59 PM »
Joe - that pizza looks awesome!  I haven't made a cracker crust in a while but after seeing your pictures I'm going to make one this week. 

In my latest recipe I've lowered the water down to 39% and kept the oil at 11% (VO/OO blend) for a total hydration of 50%.  I'm also now laminating by spreading a very thin layer of Crisco on after I've rolled it out then folding over into 4ths and putting in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before rolling it out again.  I'm not sure if that helps get more layers in the crust but I'm going to try it a couple more times to see if there really is a difference.

One question, you said you fermented for 5 days, was that in the fridge? 

Online norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »
Joe - that pizza looks awesome!

^^^ That is one yummy looking pie - I have to say, I have never made a cracker crust pie in my life but after seeing this -- I plan to change that!!!!
Norm

Offline JoeDSM

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:09:18 PM »
Thanks clarkth and norcosia!

One question, you said you fermented for 5 days, was that in the fridge?

clarkth - Yeah, I generally make more dough then I need and leave it in the fridge until I get around to making it, I wasn't shooting for a particular fermentation time. What was interesting about this dough is it is so stiff it doesn't really change much over the fermentation time.  It sounds like you are still refining your Crisco folding technique.  Do you take any extra care to make sure the dough and Crisco are super cold similar to how laminated crescent dough is achieved?

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 09:07:43 PM »
  Great looking crust! It looks really thin too! I use corn oil also. I use the food processor when I make mine nowadays. I have mixed this dough by hand with a spoon. I am looking for a crispy but tender crust also. I have a couple of ideas I have been thinking about. I will do it later in the week and post it to my thread. Thanks for the shout out. It is an honor to help others in their quest for the mighty pie. I must give credit where it is due, without the advice and mentoring from all the wonderful members here, I would still be making awful pies.

If you warm up the dough, it is easier to roll out. I take it out of the fridge and put it in an oven that is around 100 degrees or so. I dust the counter with flour then start rolling the dough till it starts sticking. I then lightly dust the top of the dough, flip it over, and roll out some more. I repeat till I get the desired size. I find that after par baking, if I let the skin cool down on a wire rack before adding the toppings, it gives a crisper crust. Be sure to let the pizza cool down on the wire rack for a few minutes before slicing to keep the crust from losing it's crispness. Since this is a light crust, I go light on the toppings. I use about 4 to 5 ounces for cheese and and about the same for the meats. For mushrooms or olives, a little goes along way. Slice the mushrooms thin, or saute them first to keep the moisture from making the pie wet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 09:18:20 PM by nick57 »

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 11:21:57 PM »
It sounds like you are still refining your Crisco folding technique.  Do you take any extra care to make sure the dough and Crisco are super cold similar to how laminated crescent dough is achieved?

That's exactly what I'm trying to do by putting the dough back in the fridge for about 15 minutes except that I don't want a flaky crust but one that has a couple of layers instead (that's why I use Crisco and not butter and only a couple of folds).  It's still a work in progress but others have had good success folding and re-rolling so I thought I would add a layer of oil between the folds to help keep the layers separate. 

Offline JoeDSM

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
  I am looking for a crispy but tender crust also. I have a couple of ideas I have been thinking about. I will do it later in the week and post it to my thread.

nick57 - Awesome, I look forward to reading your updates and thanks for the advice!

That's exactly what I'm trying to do by putting the dough back in the fridge for about 15 minutes except that I don't want a flaky crust but one that has a couple of layers instead (that's why I use Crisco and not butter and only a couple of folds).  It's still a work in progress but others have had good success folding and re-rolling so I thought I would add a layer of oil between the folds to help keep the layers separate. 

clarkth - That sounds ideal, I am really curious to hear how your experiments turn out!  I may try folding with a light layer of oil next.  I am a little reluctant to get too finicky since I was able to get such great, satisfying results with relatively minimal effort  ...I mean look how sloppy and nonuniform my dough was rolled out ;D

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:12 PM »
I am a little reluctant to get too finicky since I was able to get such great, satisfying results with relatively minimal effort  ...I mean look how sloppy and nonuniform my dough was rolled out ;D

If you have what you want don't mess with it  :pizza:  I've been using a large oval serving platter (about 18" x 14") to cut out my dough.  It gives a nice professional look but doesn't change the taste. 

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
Just made my latest cracker. Got great results, very crispy with a more tender bite or chew. You can check it out in my Dough doctor's cracker... no fail thread.